CIA Loses Data

Pwnd2Pwnr

It's either the stupidest, dickface mistake a person can make, or a complete setup and intentional leak to see who, what, when, and where the identifiable info turns up, hopefully faked for recon purposes. If its not, then we truly have failed as a nation and leader of the world with respect to intelligence.

One of the greatest skills of our intelligence agencies use, is misdirection. Like a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat, if the data is out there I would hope they'd find it or probably already know who has it, if not intentionally placed somewhere. The fact a low level, contracted person was given the tapes, seems highly odd to me. I worked at a bank, where we had strict protocols in place on off site backups and training on turnover, from who was allowed access to them, to how the tapes were stored, or how the data on the tapes were written as well, which were all AES encrypted data. We had to carry ID cards showing we were allowed to receive and hand off the outgoing and incoming tape backups.

If our CIA or any other government agency is leaving low level encrypted, yet vulnerable data that could be compromised, on tape to a contracted employee, that seems highly irregular, not to mention, down right STUPID that they would release the tapes to someone other than secured transport, which, working at the bank, we had for offsite storage. Makes no sense, other than an intentional plant for some other purpose, or someone sold it on the black market to make a quick buck and claimed they lost it. I would gather a mistake like that, would get someone not only fired, but arrested and a complete investigation done from top to bottom on who handled the data and how it was released.

Just makes no sense, but then again, we've had people from the military, come in here on the forums asking questions about shit like Active Directory and network setups, group policy and so on. Things I don't want my government and military saying when asking questions for network help. God forbid someone SE'd the guy, gained access to army/navy, etc, computer systems because he came here looking for help, it just makes no sense to announce, "Hey, I'm private num nuts and need help with my domain controller...". Yeah. Protocol and rules in place, best practices, I imagine they have rules of engagement and such, so this seems highly odd if not part of some other covert op, that someone stumbled upon and they needed a news story to cover up the real story.

Secret Service, not CIA, if you want to be a stickler.

Kevin Mitnick got the Secret Service on camera picking their noses and they told him that's why he got 5 years in jail instead of probation. I don't think even Mitnick messed around with the CIA tho.

Secret Service, not CIA, if you want to be a stickler.

Kevin Mitnick got the Secret Service on camera picking their noses and they told him that's why he got 5 years in jail instead of probation. I don't think even Mitnick messed around with the CIA tho.

Yeah, I misquoted the article as CIA. Same rules apply though for any government agency, just sounds fishy. Considering it also happened in 2008, in the wake of a wikileaks world and all we see happening with sale to the highest bidder, just smells of both failure, and lies, as in, we don;t have the whole story, and they don't want us to know the whole story. Somewhere, if any of this is true, those tapes exist, and someone is sitting on them right now probably with a wtf moment like, hey, maybe I should get rid of them now that I know what they are, or make a quick buck in todays economy and have themselves a nice Christmas bonus.

Oh no, the CIA can't lose data that the NSA already has. Why do you think the NSA is building a huge new data center to store data in Utah. :D

So what do Trolls eat these days? Cookies, pizza, what should we throw at your feet? Just want to make sure we get the menu right...

He had one job... Because this happened in 2008 and we are just now hearing about it makes me agree with digip that there is something going on that they aren't telling us. Hopefully this wasn't the government trying to leak data to see where it turns up we would have a replay of operation fast and furious just this time it would be a cyber version.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention that any of those people in charge of setting the policies for 'who gets what' also have like $7,000 toilets in their private office bathrooms. $900 hammers and the like. So how did they do a roll call of employees to see 'who might be heading this way or that way'. "Maybe one of you could drop this off on your way home?"

Gimme a break, Jon Q. Public

Stand up. Fucking read something, do your own research...

Not to mention that any of those people in charge of setting the policies for 'who gets what' also have like $7,000 toilets in their private office bathrooms. $900 hammers and the like. So how did they do a roll call of employees to see 'who might be heading this way or that way'. "Maybe one of you could drop this off on your way home?"

Gimme a break, Jon Q. Public

Stand up. Fucking read something, do your own research...

Talking Japanese toilets are a must in congress... :D

They didn't lose the tapes. This is why nothing gets done in Washington. They spend all their time seeing what they can flush in their $7,000 toilets. One of which, must have flushed the tapes, just to see if it would flush! It all makes sense now!

• 3 months later...