Describe Your Wifi Setup.

badbass

Please describe how you have your Wifi Hardware setup? I will start, I have a linksys 54g router with a mounting bracket to mount it too the wall. My laptop has the ALFA adapter. I have a Wifi to Ethernet bridge for my desktop. My netbook is standard off the shelf. All of our phones are wifi enabled. I am looking at some new antennas.

Please describe how you have your Wifi Hardware setup? I will start, I have a linksys 54g router with a mounting bracket to mount it too the wall. My laptop has the ALFA adapter. I have a Wifi to Ethernet bridge for my desktop. My netbook is standard off the shelf. All of our phones are wifi enabled. I am looking at some new antennas.

How does your Alfa perform. I can only use mine for hacking. Its completely worthless as a wireless device. I have never been able to download at faster then about 300k to 500k. My inturnal card on the same notebook runs as fast as my Ethernet on my workstation.

I use the alfa it works well I get good speed with it. 900kbs I can get faster in the middle of the night. Out of the box it has good distance. To judge the distance I walk with my phone looking for public access points. This gives me an idea of how what kind of distance I get. I have a ton of access points to in the area. I cant say how far it goes this is something for someone else to do.

Try to put a piece of aluminium foil over a can say 4 inches around. create a shallow dish shape. Point the ALFA at it, move the Alfa towards or away from it to experiment. I have no idea what this does. I would like to learn more about it. I am going to try different shapes and read up about RF. I could talk a little about marine radio, loran c, line of sight, the fact the earth is curved but this is not important. BB

• 4 weeks later...

My network is pretty simple, a single wireless router/modem, LinkSyS WAG320 with 4 computers attached to it.

I've been using it for over a year now and its been pretty rock solid.

The only thing, I hate about it, is that it doesn't support any open source firmware.

My home just has an ASUS RT-N12 with after-market dd-wrt installed on it. tx boosted to about 70.

I have just recently setup a slightly advanced system for a local church. They have 3 networks separated by hardware. The backbone is Untangle branching out a secure office network, an open network, and a server pool network. The secure network has a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt, tx boosted to about 150. All the open access points are in the process of switching to Linksys WRT54G, but are currently just cheap little access points.

Nothing fancy. I have a wired linksys BEFSR41v3 and a desktop (used for application servers and etc) connected to it on the first floor. The rest of my desktops (4 of them) are on the second floor so I have an ad-hoc network set up. They get their internet from shared internet from the server. Whenever I want to interact more directly and faster with the server and internet, I connect the dekstop I want to the router instead of the ad-hoc.

I really need to buy a wireless router though.

Dell Optiplex GX280 Low Profile:

>Ubuntu 12.04: Running - Hostapd

- Virtualbox: Running - PfSense

Wlan0 in Ubuntu bridged to Br0 running as the Lan connection in PfSense.

Using a WNR722N for broadcasting, great range with the stock antenna.

So far I haven't had to reboot for a few weeks when I last had it downstairs, great router, vastly superior to my old Netgear WNR1000V2.

Gaming PC runs some Rosewill newegg wireless card with two antennas, one stock, one mounted to the right side of my desktop (8dBi) allowing for the signal to penetrate through the wall sized mirror one room over as well as the thick walls.

Rock solid gaming setup for me, no latency issues, should hold me over until I can run a cable over to this room.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you use the ALFA USB WiFi as a general purpose, home wifi hotspot? I have a linux box as my router and i'd like to do my own wifi. the box is a Shuttle X and has no open pci slots, so this seems like a fairly straight forward solution, if it works. If so, what is the recommended software package to use with it? please comment. thanks -Vis

• 3 weeks later...

nothing too special, i have a wired linux router hooked up to a desktop in living room, and broadcasting wifi, i have a throw away laptop running linux receiving that signal, and sharing it out via a second router, not broadcasting an ssid for my personal network, which is anywhere up to two more laptops, two desktops, a 360 and a pineapple, usually just a desktop.

I have an SMCD3Gnv wifi router with a voip network bridge (main access to internet)

connected to this is a ssh server (solely for reverse shells {pineapple drops), a debian box, a windows xp box, a wii, ipod, lenovo laptop, compaq laptop, my acer netbook, and also a pineapple MKIV for testing. another pineapple MKIV in my netbooks bag for 'in the field' type stuffers.

I also have an alfa awus036h and a host of antennae including a 16dbi yagi. I really want the 036nha to use with the pineapples =(

I just picked up a new Cisco Linksys EA2700 N600 with Dual band and MIMO because we were getting tired of rebooting our Netgear WNR2000v2 every 6 hours. Having gigabit helped a lot for transferring files between my computers. I try to avoid using the wireless when I can because wired is better. We have a Wireless printer, about 7 mobile devices and 3 laptops.

Edited by cscash241