Problem with XP install partition on hard drive.

leetabix

Thanks all for the help on my previous question-now time to pick your brains on another, this time a personal problem I've been unable to resolve.

The problem is low disk space on the partition I have windows xp installed. The total size of disk space used is different (more than) the sum of the folders within this drive. Size seems to be periodically increasing, and now I only have 600 ish Mb left where in fact I should have much more than that. I have no idea where this extra increase in disk space is coming from. If no solution presents itself I guess I'll just format the drive. It's in need of a format and it shouldn't take that long to recover the few things I had on it anyhow.

Also check out c:documents and settings<the various UNs>local settingstemp , usually a vast amount of crap in there. You could also go threw application data and remove any caches for things like google maps or adobe bridge. They usually have a lot in them.

Ah, I always assumed the page file was set according to how much RAM was present. Therefore for my system with 1Gb of RAM, this would create a page file of 1.5Gb. Usually you don't need this much, but I'm a bit apprehensive to delete page files in case of memory errors D;.

Yupp, moonlit hit it on the head. The typical install will let Windows grow and shrink the page file as it sees fit. You can change it to a set size or move it to an independent disk. Didn't mean to make it sound like you should delete the page file, that would have been a bad thing :oops: .

Just to summarise, I have now recitifed the problem, and in the process cleared 3.2Gb. A very productive spring clean-would be a good idea if someone brought out a simple app that did what I did, which was to delete the contents of the Temp folder, thanks to Vako for that. Also, I reduced the page file size to the 2Mb default. Thanks to Uncle Toxie and Moonlit for that one also. And everyone else for their suggestions :).

Just to summarise, I have now recitifed the problem, and in the process cleared 3.2Gb. A very productive spring clean-would be a good idea if someone brought out a simple app that did what I did, which was to delete the contents of the Temp folder, thanks to Vako for that. Also, I reduced the page file size to the 2Mb default. Thanks to Uncle Toxie and Moonlit for that one also. And everyone else for their suggestions :).

Microsoft actually has a program for that: DisK Cleanup usually found in All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Cleanup.

Or simply go to start, run cleanmgr.exe and click ok.

:)