[fail] Sony Psp/ps3 Private Keys Leaked

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

Uh ohhh

Famed hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz, who among other things helped crack the iPhone, reckons he's found what are essentially the keys to the PlayStation 3. And has posted them online for the world to see.

While a group claimed last week that they'd done much the same thing, and were in the process of releasing tools to allow people to install Linux on their system, GeoHot has gone a step further and simply published the PS3's "root key".

The root key is a signature of sorts, that lets the PS3 know that the program that's about to run on the console is a legitimate piece of software. If it's now out there, then once people start messing around with it, they'll be able to whip up anything - be that custom software or pirated games - and trick the console into thinking it's OK to load.

Meanwhile, the team from last week's news - fail0verflow - have as promised released some "PS3 development tools" for hackers to mess around with. If the homebrew scene is your scene, and you'd like to take a look at what the PS3 can do without Sony calling the shots, you can find those here.

Basically, there is no longer any need for custom firmware on the devices or flashing the PS3 in order to run a different operating system to run unsigned code.

These keys when patched on EBOOTS will be executable on ANY firmware. No update can fix this. The need for custom firmware is dead. Piracy and homebrew will be runnable on official firmware on any PSP (including the unhackable 3000 and Go units) and any PS3. (Does the PS3 use Eboot files? I only have a PSP. Regardless, it's still fucked)

I imagine there is going to be some serious crisis talks at Sony this week.

Sony just got owned for life LOL

Edited by x942

The whole reason they got pwned was cause they screwed up their crypto. In the ECDSA functions instead of using a random number they used the same number. Which means with a bit of math you don't even need to brute force it, you can just figure out the keys.

Fail Sony, just fail.

Guest Deleted_Account

fail ... but seriously i doubt it will affect effect sony

i like my games to have a case and instruction manual ... but it does open up a whole new world of homebrew :) yey

Agreed. Physical disk are better IMHO. However I do like to "Try before I buy" and lots of PS3 games do not have demos so this wil be great for me :) and homebrew :D

i thought copied games were cool when i was younger b/c i couldnt afford the real thing .... but now for collectability i like the originals b/c they have a much better resale value

yeah downloadable stuff is cool but i hate the fact all the major distributers ie Wii xbox and sony all try and charge you for extra maps/levels/pickups etc i think this sucks

when you buy the game you should have all the levels and pickups available in game

i think its extortion charging for extras

fail ... but seriously i doubt it will affect effect sony

i like my games to have a case and instruction manual ... but it does open up a whole new world of homebrew :) yey

You greatly underestimate how many gamers are broke teenagers. This is going to have a great impact on Sony and the future of the PlayStation in general.

we'll see there's no way i'd ever modify my ps3 so until copied games work on original boxes im buying all my releases

... and tbh most copied games wont work online ... and 90% of the games i play are online

it never killed the xbox/ps2/ps1/snes/amiga/pc market so why would it be any different ? (maybe it did kill the dreamcast though lol)

it'll be interesting to see if steam ever makes it to the ps3

Edited by Trip

They would work online fine, there's no reason they wouldn't. The reason I really think this is going to kill the PS3 market is because of the simplicity. Download a game, put it on your PS3, and you can play it. No firmware hacks needed and you can never be caught. Another reason though is that this is going to cause a rampant increase in cheating in online games because it's now a trivial thing to do.

Guest Deleted_Account

yeah or torrent im sure if they get sued they'll release them ... they havnt yet ... its almost like a game of chess .... 'you make the next move' :D

Haven t yet? The keys are on geohots site. They were leaked last week or so. The whole lawsuit is to get them removed (from the entire internet apparently)Sony isn't even after money this time. There are also tools released to sign homebrew yourself too.

yeah or torrent im sure if they get sued they'll release them ... they havnt yet ... its almost like a game of chess .... 'you make the next move' :D

They already have been released; they're still up on geohot's site even though he's being sued. Custom firmwares that run homebrew have already been made. Every day it's getting closer and closer to people being able to play 'backups'. I really don't know why Sony's doing this, it won't stop the keys from being distributed or used.

Guest Deleted_Account

i can see some serious update coming out soon or they'll future proof their new models

shows well the media cover stories like this :D

... and that might explain why twitter is so shit atm

Yeah maybe next time they will implement their security better! Like:

Not use a non-random number where you are supposed to use a random number (DUH!)

Add something like the X-box 360's E-fuse system to prevent downgrading

Block people from PSN who hack!

Make the hypervisor actually check the signature and not just look good

add a second Cell CPU (With more cores :P) just for managing security and keys

Force Auto-Updates from day one! ( almost fool proof but proxies may stop this).

and so on.

However I say Sony please put linux back or screw up so we can haz our hombrew!

i can see some serious update coming out soon or they'll future proof their new models

shows well the media cover stories like this :D

... and that might explain why twitter is so shit atm

That's the thing, they can't release any update that would block this key without breaking all of the existing games that have been released to date because they're signed with the old key.

Guest Deleted_Account

Ya but couldn't Sony "sandbox" the old games and then sign everything with a new key that isn't as sandboxes? Temporary solution but better then nothing

I don't think you understand what sandboxing means. This CANNOT be fixed until the release of the PS4 because the flaw is in the hardware, not the software. Any software patch they release will be trivial to get around.

Edited by dr0p

Guest Deleted_Account

Yeah I realize that now lol I was thinking like making it so it couldn't access cretins parts of NAND and stuff but that wouldn't work too well. I am sure sony will be smarter next time but it will still get hacked of course.

erk: C0 CE FE 84 C2 27 F7 5B D0 7A 7E B8 46 50 9F 93 B2 38 E7 70 DA CB 9F F4 A3 88 F8 12 48 2B E2 1B
riv: 47 EE 74 54 E4 77 4C C9 B8 96 0C 7B 59 F4 C1 4D
pub: C2 D4 AA F3 19 35 50 19 AF 99 D4 4E 2B 58 CA 29 25 2C 89 12 3D 11 D6 21 8F 40 B1 38 CA B2 9B 71 01 F3 AE B7 2A 97 50 19
  R: 80 6E 07 8F A1 52 97 90 CE 1A AE 02 BA DD 6F AA A6 AF 74 17
  n: E1 3A 7E BC 3A CC EB 1C B5 6C C8 60 FC AB DB 6A 04 8C 55 E1
  K: BA 90 55 91 68 61 B9 77 ED CB ED 92 00 50 92 F6 6C 7A 3D 8D
 Da: C5 B2 BF A1 A4 13 DD 16 F2 6D 31 C0 F2 ED 47 20 DC FB 06 70

So how are you suppose to use these? What does all that stuff mean erk,riv,pub,R,n,ect..

May have to trade my Xbox in for a PS

Guest Deleted_Account

erk: C0 CE FE 84 C2 27 F7 5B D0 7A 7E B8 46 50 9F 93 B2 38 E7 70 DA CB 9F F4 A3 88 F8 12 48 2B E2 1B
riv: 47 EE 74 54 E4 77 4C C9 B8 96 0C 7B 59 F4 C1 4D
pub: C2 D4 AA F3 19 35 50 19 AF 99 D4 4E 2B 58 CA 29 25 2C 89 12 3D 11 D6 21 8F 40 B1 38 CA B2 9B 71 01 F3 AE B7 2A 97 50 19
  R: 80 6E 07 8F A1 52 97 90 CE 1A AE 02 BA DD 6F AA A6 AF 74 17
  n: E1 3A 7E BC 3A CC EB 1C B5 6C C8 60 FC AB DB 6A 04 8C 55 E1
  K: BA 90 55 91 68 61 B9 77 ED CB ED 92 00 50 92 F6 6C 7A 3D 8D
 Da: C5 B2 BF A1 A4 13 DD 16 F2 6D 31 C0 F2 ED 47 20 DC FB 06 70

So how are you suppose to use these? What does all that stuff mean erk,riv,pub,R,n,ect..

May have to trade my Xbox in for a PS

You don't. Directly at least.( Unless you are a hardcore developer and know how to of course :P) go to ps3-hacks.com or ps3hax.net to get the tools (Windows and linux) for signing homebrew. If you want to make your own those sites also have the SDK and other tools as well.

This is great news, i love my ps3, i really do it's an awesome console and a great media device for playback.

The opportunity for me to play around with the device at a more granular level of running anything on it just makes me love it more.

SOny may have a real opportunity here to put their hand up and say yeah we fucked up but then embrace the possibility of working with the greater community for something better. Maybe something along the lines of an "app" sotre kinda thing where the community is encouraged to develop new stuff with SOny ratifying the process. Or you have the choice of using your own shit, voiding your warranty and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'your fuck up is your problem" kinda thang.

Thoughts?

A tool was released a couple of days ago to make .PKGs out of game backups and it works on most games. Piracy is starting to ramp up, no question about it.

EDIT: I just jailbroke my PS3, been playing some SNES. Really nice =)

Edited by dr0p