Black Ops

digip

http://www.callofduty.com/hub

Ok> So I have been seeing some people complain about Black Ops, notably Mubix having lag issues, so not sure if its his machine or network problems, or the game servers just can't handle the massive amount of people flocking to the game. I wanted to ask here and get some opinions on the game, and also some of your rig specs and what you feel about the overall performance and game play.

I was going to get the game, but after hearing some of the problems people were having decided to go with my first choice of Star Wars The Force Unleashed II. I haven't made the purchase yet, but figured I would get some more feedback on what other people's experiences have been.

Here are my general specs. The only thing wrong is it says Direct-X 10, but when I run dxdiag.exe it tells me I have Direct-X 11, so that is probably a windows bug not reporting corectly (or maybe they don't test beyond 10 in their experience rating tests):

specs.jpg

dx11.jpg

Edited by digip

It was really bad for me on release day however it has improved a lot for me since. The past couple days it has been running very smooth. I have a pretty decent rig and run on all low settings with a res of 1920x1200. I get a steady 90FPS and it rarely drops below 80. I am pretty sure this game only utilizes dx9 so that should not be a factor. I could prob run with higher settings but imho high graphics settings are overrated - I run all games at low for max frames and the smoothest game play. This is what I'm working with:

rig.png

Thanks for the feedback.

I can't foresee an issue with my hardware but just wanted to get some more user feedback. I've seen other people on CS:S complaining how laggy Black Ops was for them too, and I wasn't sure if it was a hardware lag at fault or strictly an online lag issue.

I recall Mubix saying he was getting something more like 16-22 FPS which is really bad for an online MP/Co-op type of game. I'm pretty confident my system can handle pretty much anything graphics wise, but if its strictly because of the online lag, then I can expect that with any new game going online. I was more concerned on how well it performed on decent hardware, because the only thing left I have to upgrade are from standard HDD's to SSD's, which should really help my overall performance.

Try upgrading the NIC to one of those that BigFoot Network sells. That should improve the pigging response times.

Here are some more people's woes: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1573066

edit: Seems to be a developer working on patches to fix Black Ops issues:

http://twitter.com/pcdev

Edited by digip

I thought this was resolved as a memory leak issue, i saw something like this on kotaku and had thought they released a patch for this

Well, if its on steam, shouldn't the patch run automatically when you load the game? Because I keep hearing people complain and they are still playing it, waiting for a fix.

this is why God invented console gaming.

True, console gaming is what I used to do for years and for the most part hated computer games, but FPS games like Warsow and CS:S were made with the mouse and keyboard in mind. Black Ops would be more fun with a mouse in my opinion, while games like the force unleashed II might fair better on something like the Nintendo Wii.

Ive got quite a few FPS games on my xbox and its just not as much control as it is with a mouse to aim and shoot. Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, all would benefit from a mouse. Games like Ninja Gaiden (xbox version, not old NES), Mario World 64, things like that, a console and gamepad would be better, so it depends on what you are comfortable with in your hands really.

True, console gaming is what I used to do for years and for the most part hated computer games, but FPS games like Warsow and CS:S were made with the mouse and keyboard in mind. Black Ops would be more fun with a mouse in my opinion, while games like the force unleashed II might fair better on something like the Nintendo Wii.

Ive got quite a few FPS games on my xbox and its just not as much control as it is with a mouse to aim and shoot. Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, all would benefit from a mouse. Games like Ninja Gaiden (xbox version, not old NES), Mario World 64, things like that, a console and gamepad would be better, so it depends on what you are comfortable with in your hands really.

totally agree that FPS is better with mouse and keyboard. i dont have it but i know that you can get a mouse an keyboard for an xbox360. its a hack and is frowned on by microsoft an other gamers who think its cheating, but people do it.

Well, if its on steam, shouldn't the patch run automatically when you load the game? Because I keep hearing people complain and they are still playing it, waiting for a fix.

There was definitely a patch that happened mid week and yes steam auto patched it when you started the game. It is a rather demanding game, even more demanding then BC2 and that game seemed crazy demanding when it first came out. My guess is that the people who are still getting a lot of lag have older machines that don't stack up. It is running very smooth right now.

you can plug a usb keyboard into the xbox and it'll work

haven't tried a mouse

i doubt u could map the keys in the game

i did not know that. thats good to know considering i dont have one of the little keyboard things that plug into the controller and typing with the joystick letter by letter can be a pain in the ass.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll update that the FPS of 91 was due to the built in max fps amount of 85, why it went to 91 instead of 85 is beyond me. I removed the cap and it would spike well over 200 but it was all over the board, I read somewhere that 125 is a magic number for one reason or another so I set it to that and it stays steady at 125FPS on low and also normal settings. I have not tried maxing out the settings.

anyway why are people complaining about black ops ?

we all know its poop ... and why the hell didnt you buy MOH instead ?

lolololol

Call me a n00b, but what is MOH? Medal of Honor? I've been thinking of that one as well.

Ive also been reading a lot of reviews on Black Ops and people are bashing it not just for buggy game play, but also lack of really difference between COD:MW2 game play. I have Modern Warfare but if the game really hasn't progressed much beyond that in terms of new features or somehow a greater storyline, then I probably won't be getting Black Ops until I see it on sale on Steam.

Battlefield Vietnam looks pretty decent too and prebuy was like $15.

Still want Force Unleashed II, just wondering of I want it on PC or for Wii. I have a Wii, but played the thing like 5 times. Mainly my wife and kids play it, I don't really like the wireless nunchuck, rather have a gamepad, but for light sabers, might be fun. That one will be a christmas gift from the wife, so not worried about that yet anyway.

ill dig a moh gameplay vid out i havnt bought it yet but u can tell moh is way more fun than black ops

and tbh the graphics look way better

Medal of Honor vs. Call of Duty Black Ops In Depth Comparison

This guy also has some walkthroughs of MOH levels: http://www.youtube.com/user/Attila16

Not really impressive gamelplay though, and just looks like another COD or BC2 game.

Edited by digip

• 2 months later...