Hdmi Cable?

rlocone

Hello All,

Has anyone experienced a blow out HDMI cable? I bought one from Monoprice.com and it worked for 2 days. Returned from a weekend vacation found out the kids were playing around w/ the HDMI cable and connecting it to their PS3. Troublshooted the cable & found it was defective. Could the kids done something to burn it out?

Thanks for your time & attention,

what he said. its not like there is many parts to any cable. i would return it. an dont buy the same brand again. look into "monster cable". they are expensive but they have a lifetime warranty. an they are very high quality cables, normally with gold plated connections. gold having very good conductivity. probably not something you would notice with the human eye/ear, but it is better.

Edited by okiwan

what he said. its not like there is many parts to any cable. i would return it. an dont buy the same brand again. look into "monster cable". they are expensive but they have a lifetime warranty. an they are very high quality cables, normally with gold plated connections. gold having very good conductivity. probably not something you would notice with the human eye/ear, but it is better.

I do hope you are not recommending monster cable, they are such an epic waste of money. Cheap HDMI cables are fine. TBH. I blame the HDMI connector design, it's far from robust, and the whole wight of the cable is put on that small piece of plastic and metal. It should have used a DVI type design, but it can obviously be smaller as HDMI is only single link and thus they can make the connector smaller by removing the duel link pins, and you could make the pins smaller on top of that.

Also, the outer piece of metal really should be made from hardened steel not gold nor should it be gold plated, it serves no purpose electrically. It's there to make the connector rigid (but it's so thin it barley does that!).

Further more, HDMI been digital, there is no difference in image/audio quality providing the signal is adequately carried.

Is this a hype or is it true, that expense cables can in deed offer a superior video quality?

With regards to HDMI/DVI and other digital connections expensive cables will produce the same image and sound quality as not expensive cables.

Interesting, I've read magazines on Home Entertainment Systems and I swear they recommended anyone investing more into the cables.

Interesting, I've read magazines on Home Entertainment Systems and I swear they recommended anyone investing more into the cables.

This can apply to analog cables, but most of the time you won't need expensive cables and if you do use them the difference is hardly noticeable if even visible with the human eye.

This can apply to analog cables, but most of the time you won't need expensive cables and if you do use them the difference is hardly noticeable if even visible with the human eye.

I guess they just want you to spend more money on expensive cables, claiming that will make a difference, when in fact you are getting the same results across the board.

I guess they just want you to spend more money on expensive cables, claiming that will make a difference, when in fact you are getting the same results across the board.

There are some genuine circumstances where expensive cables are necessary. Like, for example, most of the time in computer networking UTP (unshielded twisted pair) is used. However, if you have to run a network cable though an area where there is allot of interference (like water pipes for example) using STP (shielded twisted pair) will be beneficial to help ensue stable data transmission. Although nowadays unless you are on an extremely tight budget, one should use fiber in areas with electrical interference. Similarly, fiber should be used for extremely long distance communication as light traveling through glass 'degrades' far less then electricity through copper. If your TV and other electronics are in an area of high electrical interference, you should probably move them rather than get an expensive cable to keep the interference out of the video signal.

i have built a home recording studio, and all my audio cables are high quality. every one iv talked to in the business and every thing i have read, says that higher quality cables are better. plus gold will last longer being that its non-corrosive. i dont know if HDMI supports the same claim as audio cables, but my HDMI cables are gold plated just because i got them part of a kit. and monsters cables are not a waste of money because they have a lifetime warranty. if anything happens to them including you breaking them, they will replace it for you free of charge.

plus gold will last longer being that its non-corrosive.

You mean the copper in the wires? The copper that is coated in plastic? The copper that isn't exposed to the air? The copper that needs moisture to corrode? Copper wires, assuming they aren't in a bathroom or kitchen or similar, will probably take longer to corrode than most people live.

Higher quality cables are better! Just, not better in the ways that it usually makes sense to spend the money they cost.

If you are building a recording studio and you already dropped £1000 on a big mixer, whats £60 on top of that?

You mean the copper in the wires? The copper that is coated in plastic? The copper that isn't exposed to the air? The copper that needs moisture to corrode? Copper wires, assuming they aren't in a bathroom or kitchen or similar, will probably take longer to corrode than most people live.

Higher quality cables are better! Just, not better in the ways that it usually makes sense to spend the money they cost.

If you are building a recording studio and you already dropped £1000 on a big mixer, whats £60 on top of that?

no not the copper wires the gold connectors/plugs. metal to metal connections can cause corrosion. like if you leave batteries in something too long.

well if you dropped $1000 on an HDTV an how ever much on a blueray player whats another $60 on top of that?

Edited by okiwan

what about peace of mind? does that count for anything? :)

i just enjoy have the best of the best when it comes to certain things. which can all be opinionated of course.

hence why i own $150 pair of sunglasses, $90 pair of sunglasses, and $400 frame for prescription glasses. sure sunglasses from the dollar store will work just fine, but hey, what can i say? i like to roll like the big dogs. B)

what about peace of mind? does that count for anything? :)

i just enjoy have the best of the best when it comes to certain things. which can all be opinionated of course.

hence why i own $150 pair of sunglasses, $90 pair of sunglasses, and $400 frame for prescription glasses. sure sunglasses from the dollar store will work just fine, but hey, what can i say? i like to roll like the big dogs. B)

I do agree with that concept, however you can buy gear that will have the same quality and type and could last you a lot longer for a less price.

I bought some cheap HDMI cables (gold plated) on eBay when my family bought our new HDTV & sound system; it was like $10 for 2 w/ free shipping. They work great and haven't had a problem yet and it's been almost two years.

I bought some cheap HDMI cables (gold plated) on eBay when my family bought our new HDTV & sound system; it was like $10 for 2 w/ free shipping. They work great and haven't had a problem yet and it's been almost two years.

Prof of concept I like that!

and a point for the gold team. ;)

I bought a HDMI cable from ASDA (it was the only store close to me that was open past 10PM on a Friday, and I Really wanted to set my new Cinema system up) for £2.99, works like a champ!

For the record, I bought 1 SCART cable x years ago, I imagine I'll be replacing the HDMI with xxHDMI-ULTRA 3.0 in 5 years, If it breaks before then then I guess I'll but another £2.99 cable.

Edited by MRGRIM

More likely the pins are bent or the connection between the connector and the wires has failed.

this +1

just like cat5 cables ... they break if your not careful with them

'burned out' was probably just some sales man crap to make you buy a more expensive lead

... on boxing day last year i went to buy a hdmi lead for my xbox just b/c they were the only pc shop open .... the dude tried to sell me a lead for £96 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <yes i was that shocked

i almost threw it back at him

... i left peacefully and got one the next day off ebay for £3 ... still working fine and in use now ;)