In Car Pc ...

Trip

im thinking about installing a pc specifically for war driving the pc would be installed in the boot with a small lcd screen in the front ... possibly wireless mouse and mini wireless keyboard

i have a small lcd screen capable of 640x480 display but think i might be better off with one mounted in the dash

i've looked for a 12v micro atx main board but failed to find one with the PSU included can anyone point me in the right direction

i've already looked at prefabricated in car pc's but thought it'd be more fun to put together my own :D

im all ears ;) any help appreciated

Pick up an used netbook, low powered, very small boards that can handle Windows without a problem.

I've been thinking about something similar with my eee for some time, I've fitted a USB touchscreen overlay (7", <$30, DealExtreme) and it seems like it'd be perfect for something like a carPC, the downside is that the LCD cable would be hard to extend all the way from the back of the car to the front, so you'd either have to mount the motherboard near the dash (glove box?) or use a seperate screen.

But hey, original LCD in the boot with a touchscreen overlay for BBQs with a second touchscreen on the dash or something? Sounds pretty good to me.

Get a small van vehicle and turn the back of it into a command center.

Plenty of room to place hacking equipments, you could even mount a dish ontop.

the only problem using a net book is you dont get a pci card slot and i'd like to be able to use a selection of wireless cards thats why im thinking pc rather than a notebook / laptop

re. the van dude i have a tight budget although hacking in the back of the van would be more stealthy than in my car

Check this out some products on this site: http://pico-psu.net/

In that same vein - look at http://www.mini-box.com who resell Pico's products in the states.

M350 combo is an Excellent case+PS starter. THe form factor is amazing.

Add an Intel DQ45EK and a core2duo CPU, a gig or 2 of RAM, + 80GB laptop HD - and you should be out the door for less than $400.

I'll vouch for the Pico PSU units. Only seen 1 death, and that was my error - I put a +8-14V unit on a 24V boat, they hooked it up and fried the thing.

Check this out some products on this site: http://pico-psu.net/

great link dude that's just what i need :)

and @vako ... i think im going to mount it in the glove box / under the passenger seat in a micro atx case it'll be interesting esp with my driving how quick things start to fail .... im worried about the hd tbh. ... think this is definitely a solid state scenario ... will try some 2.5in laptop drives see how long they last 1st

i see alot of people use gps to log access point details any suggestions for a cheap gps card / usb device ?

great link dude that's just what i need :)

and @vako ... i think im going to mount it in the glove box / under the passenger seat in a micro atx case it'll be interesting esp with my driving how quick things start to fail .... im worried about the hd tbh. ... think this is definitely a solid state scenario ... will try some 2.5in laptop drives see how long they last 1st

i see alot of people use gps to log access point details any suggestions for a cheap gps card / usb device ?

Anytime man!

look at Hitachi... They have a line of automotive HDDs which are supposedly handle vibrations better. I have an AVIC-Z2 Navi that has a Hitachi HDD and haven't had any problems with it yet. It's been 3 years...

Cheers!

dimaj