Windows ... ?

Trip

im preparing to format my pc n reinstall windows which version should i go for ?

im not really fussed with ease of use or any of the gimmicks

i use xp sp3 atm and am starting to feel old fashioned so....

i've had vista on my laptop & 7 but really didnt like vista

should i go for 7 ?

or stick with xp ?

Edited by Trip

I have been using 7 64 without any major problems for months. Any problems I have encountered are generally fixed using a virtual machine of some nature. Except some old games, if I want to play Populous the beginning I'll have to install XP on some thing.

Some exceptionally well written old games (e.g. Total Annihilation) run with only minor hiccups.

I've been running Win XP Pro x64, on my computer at home for over 4 years. And have just recently purchased an OEM version of Win 7 Pro x64 and been using it on a VM for quite a while. I am really happy with how Win 7 performs in general, a lot better than Vista and XP in some ways.

I would definitely recommend windows 7. But if you feel you are not ready, you could also use a VM to give it try before committing yourself to it.

thanks for the advise i think im going to grab an OEM @ the next computer fair

gutted some of the old games wont work ... as long as transport tycoon will work lol ;)

No worries, glad could be of help.

i noticed when i had the beta copy it was a little quicker than xp

but tbh if its still $$$'s i think ill hold out n stick with xp rather than install vista

will check the ttd link in a mo

... love that game but have plenty of old machines to play it on :)

Edited by Trip

Fuck XP, its old and out-dated.

This, definitely.

I'm still trying to get my mum to upgrade to Win7.. but so far that's been a losing battle. Once that happens, the only machine running XP will by my POS Dell that I use for testing/running crap that doesn't work with W7.

Fuck XP, its old and out-dated.

Even though XP its old and out-dated, and may offer a better compatibility with some applications than Windows 7 does.

But yes Windows 7 rocks.

Windows XP may be old but it is still awesome and works fine. Well mince the Dell touchpad causing issues.

Then again I run it on 446 mb integrated graphics and a 1.8 ghz proc. Oh and I play Command and Conquer 3 on it too :)

Windows XP may be old but it is still awesome and works fine. Well mince the Dell touchpad causing issues.

Then again I run it on 446 mb integrated graphics and a 1.8 ghz proc. Oh and I play Command and Conquer 3 on it too :)

Totally agree, and I am still using it.

I agree with most everyone here, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 is the way to go. However that's only on my desktop, as far as my laptop is concerned I run 9.10 Ubuntu, and a virtual machine of both backtrack and windows 7..both of which are used for my wide variety of tools.

Diabolical.