Show Some Hak5 Love

subl1m1nal

What kind of craziness is going on?

Snubs moves to Misery...I mean Missouri.

DK gets back from vaca and gets laid off! That'd make me level 5 pissed off!

Hak5 could be headed for the West Coast sooner than later!

I figured I could help a hacker out by buying a USB switchblade shirt. But I just thought about this, if the HakHouse is for sale, will the hak store still be operable?

Whatever does end up happening, I feel at least us as a community will still be here. Hell probably about half of us forum folk watch the show only from time to time anyways, but regardless of that, I believe there will be a Hak5 for quite a long time. Heck, DK moving to the West Coast only seems to make me think of one thing.. A new Hak5 set @ the rev3 studio! Which may lead to awesomeness.. Also, you know if he moves the show there, then there should always be a co-host, of course I couldn't exactly see Darren talking about Arp spoofing, or EIGRP interception with Andrew Bancroft.. [though hillarity would surely ensue] or linux programming with Kevin Rose, but it would certainly be interesting to say the least, and hell.. Who knows, in the end it could be a good thing :)

I really don't think Darren could stand to put the camera down with hak5 honestly. After everything and anything that has happened he has ALWAYS made sure there was a show, regardless of the struggle, and I don't think this is a set back in the least bit.

Also, if worse came to worse, maybe rev3's shop can tackle some of the load.

Edited by h3%5kr3w

Always a tough blow losing your job but I suspect Darren knew this was coming hence the plans to move. I've not been watching the show all that long but my advice to them would be to keep the show on air and keep building up a fanbase at all costs. Traffic/viewers are the lifeblood of anything on the web even those that don't buy stuff directly still watch the adverts etc.

I got laid off over a year ago and sunk all my time and effort into my website and now I'm turning a profit and landed my first big order last month. I'm not rich by any stretch but I enjoy what I do and I'm (almost) glad I did get laid off now :)

Oh yeah, there will. Darren explicitly said that in the last hak5 ep. The only thing that is really in the air at this point is how he is going to be able to pump out technolust every week. So maybe one or two weeks, it's behind one week. NP in my book.

No doubt Hak5 will stay alive! The community is too strong.

On a side note, it'd be cool to have Kevin Rose as a guest host. I remember watching a few episodes of the broken back in the day. Really got me hooked on security when I was in college.

I have no problem kicking a few dollars that way every now and again. They entertain me for about an hour each week. I think I've bought a few products from them over the last couple of years. I got autographed stickers, evil server tee, and my latest is my usb switchblade tee. My only comment is to keep new hak gear coming. I'm running out of stuff to buy!

Hak5 actually got me hooked on security as well. I'm seriously considering adding "penetration testing" (after I learn a bit more) to my list of "marketable skills." Maybe not those exact words, but probably something along the line of "network security."

On a side note, it'd be cool to have Kevin Rose as a guest host. I remember watching a few episodes of the broken back in the day. Really got me hooked on security when I was in college.

I have to say... Kevin in The Broken and now a days is like two different persons =( sadly... The Broken was cool show.

I have to say... Kevin in The Broken and now a days is like two different persons =( sadly... The Broken was cool show.

No kidding. He went from cracking windows passwords, modding xboxes, and packing laptops with thermite to being an apple user and making Digg. Maybe when Darren gets to SF he can set him back on the right path!

No kidding. He went from cracking windows passwords, modding xboxes, and packing laptops with thermite to being an apple user and making Digg. Maybe when Darren gets to SF he can set him back on the right path!

:o OMG! I never thought about it, but maybe you are right! I seriously doubt there will be another ep. of the broken, BUT with Kev being such a Mac maniac, maybe cracking windows boxes would get some of his attention and re-broaden his excitement on that level. Kevin was always Mac fanboy #1 btw. If you ever watched the ep.s he was on when he was on G4 back in the day, Kev was always displaying his mac love. And there was definitely a reason why The Broken was left alone after the small amount of eps. It had to do with of course border line illegality and being such a widely known person now, it wouldn't take much to get some big corp. to sue him on the specific types of things him and what's his name would do on that show. Sure you could say the same about Hak5 any day, but Hak5 is specifically for education, not for malicious intent (yeah I know, but it sounds good anyway).

Furthermore, Digg is Kev's baby that he started right before G4 gave him the can, and since it's grown so big, that's all he really has time for. On the other side of the coin, he was also ONE (but not the original) of the founders of Rev3, so every last bit of time that wasn't for Digg went into that, and as of now he's sitting pretty nice I would say but TBH I would have to think he get's bored of Digg (or will sooner or later) after all this time, so maybe this would be a good facet for him to fixate on. It would be a really REALLY kick ass idea to have at least one Hak5 ep. in the style of the (og style) of Diggnation. Unfortunately however, I really don't see Alex getting any of his rox off in that schema though :P

Also I want to add... If we took Darren and Kev, stuck them in a shitty apartment with a bunch of bad ass hardware and penetration and mod tools, gave them a shit ton of liquor, and filmed the whole thing over a week's period... That would be the most EPIC Hak5.Broken idea EVER

Edited by h3%5kr3w

Nothing good lasts forever and Hak5 has been very good to us on many levels so i think that its our duty to try to keep the community and the show that we love going for as long as we can.

The show has seen many changes over its 7 seasons with co-host coming and going and the sets changed like underwear but Hak5 remains and will remain hopefully for a long time to come.

For whatever comes i wish DK the best of luck in SF and i know that whatever comes its going to be a good thing

I just have one question.....WTF ever happened to Matt? We heard from Snubs, we heard from Darren, Mubix is rolling his own podcast now and it kicks ass but with all this going on no one ever mentioned what the deal with Matt Lestock?

Was there a drunken brawl that we never got told about??? is Matt no more......Information ....Information....Information...."you can not make bricks without clay" says a recent movie quote

Nothing good lasts forever and Hak5 has been very good to us on many levels so i think that its our duty to try to keep the community and the show that we love going for as long as we can.

The show has seen many changes over its 7 seasons with co-host coming and going and the sets changed like underwear but Hak5 remains and will remain hopefully for a long time to come.

For whatever comes i wish DK the best of luck in SF and i know that whatever comes its going to be a good thing

I just have one question.....WTF ever happened to Matt? We heard from Snubs, we heard from Darren, Mubix is rolling his own podcast now and it kicks ass but with all this going on no one ever mentioned what the deal with Matt Lestock?

Was there a drunken brawl that we never got told about??? is Matt no more......Information ....Information....Information...."you can not make bricks without clay" says a recent movie quote

http://www.mattlestock.com/2010/01/time-to-move-on/

There was a thread about it.

I've sent money in the past and got my stickers, although I just got a heap of the same :( before the fancy ones came in, or shot glasses!!. In saying this, I think what Darren is doing is pretty cool. If it is what you say it is, it takes balls. And no one can say any different. I wish you the best of luck, and while I will always tell you what is wrong with your show, take that as the biggest compliment. No one out cunts me and yet I take the time to watch your shows and comment. I used to pay for Diggnation, haven't watched one in over a year, I keep coming back to Hak5.

As far as I'm aware Darren is on his travels as we speak. Good luck man, enjoy every minute. Glad you came over here, do everything you want and can.

My advice, take everything you can in. When I lost everything - I mean my home, my possesions and my city - you learn a few things. You didn't lose them but, you're moving on. It's a huge feeling, just don't do what I've done. Made up in somewhere you think is right because it suits you. Go where you want, I hope San Francisco is right. I can only assume it is what it is. I mean it gave the name to cisco, how many of us have done their certs?!

Take this comment as I want it to, keep doing the show. Have the best time of your life and keep us updated. Pint your way.

Edited by cabster21

I agree. It has to take some balls to pack up your stuff and move to a state on the other side of the country! Either that, or he has enough moneys in the bank to float him. Kudos Darren!

About the broken. I always wondered why they stopped making episodes. I wonder what happened to "Double D" and the russian thermite guy. Could be more opportunities for Hak5 in SF. We're talking silicon valley, where the computer industry was made! It would be awesome if Kevin could sqeeze in an episode of two for good times sake. Pop open some 40's and get to hackin!