Mask Bittorrent traffic on port 80

daredavil

hi everyone

i woud like to know if its possible to mask my bittorrent internet traffic on port 80

cause th firewall of my college won't let me connet on other ports different from port 80 ..

in a few word i was interested on knowing if its possible to make my bittorrent client get connected on port for example(48997) and make the firewall think that i gettinng connected on port 80

Im a windows user (windows XP SP3 )

I would be greatfull if somebody would help me

Thnx in advance and thanks a lot to HAK5 team for the great job

DISCLAIMER: I do not condone using your schools network to do this, and you run the risk of getting in trouble, so do this of your own accord. If you get expelled, well, I dont really care, its your own fault!!

I think its the other way around though. I think they are blocking you from sharing on the default port you export from and even if you let people connect to you on port 80, that would probably be blocked as well. Most schools these days do deep packet inspection because of the RIAA and Napster issues from back in the day. If they see emule, torrent, magnet, etc, traffic, they shut it down. They could be filtering it not on port, but on packets alone. to find out, try setting the torrent client to use port 8080, which is the http alternative. If that doesnt work, use an ssh tunnel and proxy your torrent traffic through the tunnel.

If that doesnt work, then stop worrying about it and go back to your school work. You are there for an education and you dont own the network or the bandwidth you are taking from others on the network.

By the way, go back and read the forum rules. They apply here, just as they do at your school, but I doubt you would follow ours if you cant even follow the schools.

Only possible solution i can see if they're using a system that isn't a complete piece of crap is to have a server on the other side that you own. If it is a complete piece of crap all you have to do is change the port that bit-torrent uses to 80, you cannot fool the router, if it thinks you're connecting on port 80, it will send everything to port 80.

There's a reason why they block bit-torrent, you're sharing an internet connection with everyone else.

It's rather selfish to eat up bandwidth that isn't yours. Focus on yer studies and do yer torrents and junk on yer own network.

Also, personal experience: One of our visiting programmers at work left their laptop on while it was running torrents, pretty much saturated the network and brought everything to a crawl. The IT staff was quite pissed about it.

I seriously have a hatred for fellow students who do such things. You do realize that your selfish need for a torrent fix impacts on those of us who are actually wanting to learn!

I had one guy in my class last year that would que up a fuck load of torrents and hog all the bandwidth while the rest of us have to wait a good deal of time just to load our bloody search results from google.

If you were in my class doing this I would do the exact same thing I did to my class mate and boot your fucking ass to kingdom come until you got the message to not torrent in class!

If you wanna download torrents from class get yourself a VPN and torrent flux and do it from your home connection. This way you only use your schools connection to manage/que your torrents remotely, this is how I do it.

While I am on the subject of things I hate during class I may as well mention I also hate myspaz, facefart and other social networking user's. I seriously wish the I.T Administrators would block such useless things on the network.

Nope it had nothing do do with MITM the connection between him and the gateway (that requires to much time and effort on my part during class). I simply used the teachers monitoring software LAN school and just disabled his internet connection. Then for extra laughs I restarted his computer to watch him loose his rapid share downloads and rage as much as I have been over the slow speeds.

I'm in Australia and some of our ISP's actually throttle our P2P traffic (usually to about 28kbps), so one thing we do is make an encrypted VPN connection. This makes it a lot more difficult to see what sort of stuff we are doing. Don't know if you can do that at a school situation though

you're with exetel then?

I heard Telstra did this but didn't know optus do so as well. Hey is their a list for ISP's in Australia that do this? I am with iprimus and I don't think they do but I am curious as to who does and who doesn't in the event I change ISP's.

Speaking of ISP's iiNET won that court case against the movie giants. I read it online a few days back and my fav comment on the SMH website was this one "Awesome wait a go iinet, I am gonna download 10 movies to celebrate".

• 3 weeks later...

First of all thanks to all of you who helped me with your sugestions and dedicated some time to help me around me problem ...

The point is that it dont matter if it's legal or not cause i dont risk to get expelled from school here.however your sugestions helped me a lot ..thanks a lot again