Linux Major Help

Emilml

Hey now im thinking to start learning Linux basics, like installing programs and

stuff, so i was thinking got any tips, guides, Linux Distros that are good to use

maby Fedora or what do i know? :p i basicly want any help i can get.

Hey now im thinking to start learning Linux basics, like installing programs and

stuff, so i was thinking got any tips, guides, Linux Distros that are good to use

maby Fedora or what do i know? :p i basicly want any help i can get.

Download opensuse 10.1. The install is very easy. The desktop is very point and click...but command line is very accessable. So u can learn commands pretty easily.But most importantly when u just want to get things done you can revert to your point and click method then when u have time figure it out from the cmd.

The problem with most linux n00bs are. That as soon as a problem hits its very easy to convert back to your windows partition. Suse 10.1 is designed such, that u wont have to.

Suse has this thing called YaSt. Its a gui. From it you can set automatic updates (works similer to the windows version but better), configure all sorts of servers with the click of a mouse button. Its nice.

The gui effects are nice too. Think maxOS stuff...but better (waits for the flames) :)

I actualy have openSUSE 10.1 caous i download alot :p so i got like Fedora, Opensuse, auditor, backtrack, knoppix, gamersknoppix, slackware and some more :P Of course none installed

Try Ubuntu? It seems to be geared for people in your situation, and digg has a bazillion HOWTO's listed that you can follow. Personally I'm in the same place myself, so far I've tried Suse 10.1 (very very good, better than XP, although its regarded as bloated) and k/x/ubuntu, which are all pretty easy to install and use (although ubuntu has given me problems with older hardware, i have heard debian is a better os in this case).

If you want a bit of a challenge, try FreeBSD. I've been using it for about a week, and although you have to configure a lot more stuff manulally in the CLI, it forces you to learn the basics before you can do fancy stuff.

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/ <--- basic unix guide

Hmm i just found out i had opensuse 10.1 Beta not the new release so i gotta dl that on monday when i am at my dad whit a nice 4 mbit connection, so i will dl Ubuntu there also :p so meanwhile ill think il read some manuals and guides :p

Ps. also have FreeBSD

Edidt:

I think ill try openSUSE 10.1 caous its a bit more Linux a like if u ask me :P

I dislike YaST, it needs 2 minutes for every change you make. I would recommend Ubuntu or Debian, never tried Fedora Core but it sounds cool.

About installing software: In Debian and Ubuntu you can use "apt-get install <program_name>". Or if you get hold of a .deb package just double click on that, in SUSE, Fedora Core,... these are .rpm packages (precompiled binaries). But if you get a source package the routine is (usually) ./configure -> make -> su -> make install, but take your time and read the readme file that comes with it.

Check out http://www.linuxreality.com/. It covers the basics and takes a look at some distros.

Ye fedora looks realy cool actualy :p had it before but i newer got told about MBR so i was a bit scared there :p but i got the windows MBR back, but i wanna learn how to install stuff in linux not just give it 1 command and it does it all for me, or that would be fine if it was in all linuxes but it isent i think so i think ill take openSuse

I was looking at FreeBSD and i thought what 1 of the dls do i have to pick?

alpha, amd64, i386,ia64,pc98,ppc or sparc64

I got a 32 bit 1,86 ghz cpu, 1 gig of ram and its a normal Box not a mac :p

Ps. I think its i368 i have to dl but i am not sure

I dislike YaST, it needs 2 minutes for every change you make.

yup plus de fact that Yast manage its own config files -- pretty absurd, but anyway Suse's choise..

I will say start with Debian.... it's pretty easy actually and manage the dependensies really well using apt-get, over 15400 packages availables.

Ubuntu is another choice, especially if you're running on a laptop.. But with those kind of distro, they do everything for you and you ain't gonna learn a lot..

the other distributions are also good! if you find them to heavy to load or to run, you just need to kill and disable some services! i know that by default suse loads a lot of them. Another thing to keep in my mind, is that Red Hat for a while used to not follow the standart of using and arranging the folder system such as /etc /lib and so on... dunno if they kept the same in Fedora... if they did... you really wanna say away from that mess....

a way to learn is to start on www.linux.org -> Courses

yours,

Okey thx.

I need to make partitions for my FreeBSD, i am trying to make an install in WM Ware so how can i make partitions in that, or do i have to use fdisk and if i have to where can i dl it from and mount it in wmware

Okey thx.

I need to make partitions for my FreeBSD, i am trying to make an install in WM Ware so how can i make partitions in that, or do i have to use fdisk and if i have to where can i dl it from and mount it in wmware

i am not sure I am getting what you're saying, is your Wmware image of FreeBSD a compilation of the full freebsd iso file? :roll:

however if you downloaded the normal iso file of freebsd, Fdisk should be available, otherwise check the md5 of your file to see if it's corrupted....

fdisk is something compiled by default in all kernels --- :roll:

I just dlet it from FreeBSD's site, i am trying to install FreeBSD in Wmware, so how can i partition the Wmware disk i made when i made a new machine in Wmware :p

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/release...ISO-IMAGES/6.1/ thats where i dlet it from , i dlet:

File: 6.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

File: 6.1-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso

6.1-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso

CHECKSUM.MD5

CHECKSUM.SHA256

Rightnow i am running 6.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso emulated in wmware

Just create a disk of say 10/20gb unpartitioned in the VMware machine propeitys, then mount the freebsd ISO and run the install. When you get to the partitioning bit, just let it use the entire disk and automatically set up the partitions. it should work.

Just create a disk of say 10/20gb unpartitioned in the VMware machine propeitys, then mount the freebsd ISO and run the install. When you get to the partitioning bit, just let it use the entire disk and automatically set up the partitions. it should work.

It says i need to use Fdisk to partition... :S

oh dear...i see another guy going back to windows. Remove your windows partition, install suse linux and force yourself to learn. This vmware nonsence will mess you up

Nah just a slow change :p i am gonna learn linux and use it :p

It says i need to use Fdisk to partition... :S

Yup, it gives you a text based partition manager. Now since its runing in VMware, its not a disk, its a 10gb file on your hard disk that acts like a hard disk. You can fdisk away with no issues as it will only touch your virtual HD. It asks you to set up the disks, then dumps you in a text only thing. At the top will be the virtual disk listed, with a bunch of data about the disk after it. If you look at the bottom it has a list of commands (read them), you want "a" (automatic) and "q" to go to the formatter, which again is "a" and "q". It should automatically set up the partiations and format them. Only been playing with this for a couple of weeks so that might not be exactly it, should be enough to get you going though.

Never got it to work in VMware myself, so I put aside an old 2x500mhz|1gb pc for it. Bit slow to begin with, but i recompiled all the ports running on it (took 3 days) and it fucking flys now. So stable, and the architechture makes so much sense. Still a huge n00b though, but if you are whilling to put aside a week to google everything and read, it will make a lot more sense.

OMg now i know whats wrong, FreeBsd cant finde the disc in wm ware :p

Edidt:

Now i know what to do in 3 weeks when i get home to my own com then i will install FreeBSD untill that i will play whit some live cds

FreeBSD rocks, such a well designed system. It might be a little difficult if you weren't using anything before XP, but it really is a case of working out what you want to do, googling it, and working your way around any issues that pop up.