Linux Major Help

Emilml

I have installed FreeBSD in wmware, works fine, and i can login, so i was wondering how can i install like a gui like, kde, fluxbox, gnome that stuff?

Or culd i have installed that during the instalation of FreeBSD and if yes then plz tell me how :p

login and su to root, or login as root, then at the CLI type "pkg_add -r kde", it should then go on the net, grab the latest version and install it. Once its stopped doing shit, type "rehash", hit return, then type:

echo "exec startkde" >> ~/.xinitrc

then type "startx" and kde should start up.

If you don't want to use pkg_add, use ports.

/usr/ports/. Just cd to the program you wan't to install, as root type make install. Then the sources will be downloaded, compiled and installed. Very nice feature.

If you don't want to use pkg_add, use ports.

/usr/ports/. Just cd to the program you wan't to install, as root type make install. Then the sources will be downloaded, compiled and installed. Very nice feature.

Yup, plus I've noticed a speed increase when you compile your own.

Please dont start with freebsd if you have no clue what you are doing. It can be very frustrating, and ultimitely deter you. My advice is to make www.distrowatch.com, and www.google.com/linux your firend. As for starting distros i would reccemond ubuntu or fedora. I dont like suse, and if anyone reccemonds pclinuxos then run for the hills. I mean run. There are a ton of tutorials though.

If you are determined to use freebsd though go th their website and read through the tutorials. I would not recomment installing the gui during the install. The best way to do it is to install it later. Also you need to keep your ports updated with cvsup to make sure that you are getting the latest, and patched software applications. Testmad and myself have been known to walk people through bsd installs on skype. If your interested just send me a pm here and we can set up a time to do it. As for not being able to connect to the internet you might want to make sure that you seleced the right ethernet device when you installed the system.

Also it should be worthy to mention that if you are looking at this as a windows subsitiute you will be a little dissapointed. Freebsd currently doesnt have flash support for its browsers, as well as limited multimedia support atm. Vlc is about it for video players right now, unless you dont mind navigating mplayer from the command line.

Okey it cant connect to get the dl so how do i set up the net connection

Lose the VMware and use an old PC instead, I never got it working in VMware.

I do have to admit that I'm a complete *nix n00b (aside from liveCD's for penn testing, and the odd wranling with suse every now and again), I origonally intended to make a freeBSD server, but I was that impressed with it, I tweaked it to be a desktop as well. BSD might not be the best thing if you've only used XP before, as you need to spend a bit of time at the CLI. But, it depends how you learn, if you like being thrown in at the deep end (as i do), BSD is for you. Personally I'm not to keen on ubuntu, I don't know why, but I keep thinking "i know there is more going on here than I can see", and it annoys me. Its nice on laptops though.

• 1 month later...

Now i have been running Fedora linux in KDE for ca 2 weeks

And now that i have got a laptop i installed it there, but i cant seem to get the wifi card working,

When i run the live cd Backtrack the card works fine

My laptop is a Packard Bell EasyNote R1995

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/ind...p;pn=PB42M00989

So i guess my card is a Atheros 5BMB5

Now i know i gotta install some drivers i think its the MadWIFI 0.9.2 drivers i needet.

So i installed them like this:

make KENELPATH=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-i586

su root

make install KERNELPATH=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-i586

Is that right installed? and if so how do i get the card to work now? caous it isent :P

EDIT:

I think i know what i need to do now so ill give a update when i have tryed it tomoro

Okey thx.

I need to make partitions for my FreeBSD, i am trying to make an install in WM Ware so how can i make partitions in that, or do i have to use fdisk and if i have to where can i dl it from and mount it in wmware

Dude vmware has such easy settings are you running vmware under windows?

Vmware actually creates files if memory serves , you tell it how big you want the virtual drive to be and it make it into a folder that folder should be recognized as an HDD by vmware and run it like its a hard drive it even asks you these things when you run vmware are you sure you got workstation and not just the player? well anyways vmware is totally virtual so it doesnt actually partition your drive it makes a virtual one , if your really worried about it go ahead and dual boot with opensuse 10.1 i had no issues except you need to reinstall windows first and partition the drive in half or however you want to so that you have an unused partition to install linux on and linux will read the windows/c partiton and let you keep it and create a linux partition in the free space Vmware is fun i will admit but i still like dual booting. Hope this will shed some light on your problem

Ps. Redhat linux , Opensuse , and Gentoo are my favorites , slack is a bit difficult for the noob i had trouble getting it correctly installed and ive been using linux since i was 12 just never that package management system Peace out

JcPlinux

Lol thats the first time i have seen anyone replying to a post thats like 3 months old, if u read the rest of the topic u will se that i have got linux installed now, actualy on 3 boxes..

not to be rude or maby yes, anyways thx i guess so.. :P