Best Flash Drive [?]

romulusdgr8

It's interesting how apparently everybody decided to start their multipass at the exact same time as me :P. I've seen like 5 different threads about multipasses in the last few days.

Anyways, Corsair would be my first suggestion. Their known for speed and quality. I've got an 8GB Corsair Voyager coming in the mail (that only cost me $20 too :D). There are other big names like Kingston to consider as well. For a multipass I wouldn't think you would need more than 8GB, but depending on what you plan on doing you could always go for more. Never hurts to have a little spare room ;).

I have 8Gb Kingston DataTraveler which works just fine and I have extra space for everything I can possibly need at our campus plus all my multipass stuff and it was in sale for 10€ (~15$).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For my multipass I've been using a 16GB Corsair Survivor. It's the one in an aluminum tube case. Completely indestructible. One of the benefits that I've never seen anybody mention before is that the stick itself is pretty small and lends itself to tight fits. I have to service Panasonic ToughBooks on a regular basis and with some models there is one USB port on the side which is deeply recessed. With almost any other USB stick I have to use an extension cable just because it won't fit. This one just pops right in there. The model I have is about 2 years old and it's not too fast. Hopefully current day releases are a bit quicker.

For my main everyday stick I've been using a 32GB OCZ ATC. I really like OCZ products a lot, going back to my first 2GB dual channel Rally USB. This one is just ok. It's been working reliably for a year now, but it's kind of slow and the build quality itself just isn't there. It's one of those rubbery ones and the memory chips must really be jammed in there because it has a bulge in the middle. When I finally upgrade to a 64GB this will probably become the primary drive for a Shiva plug.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the "best" is an ironkey...but i dont think it will work as a boot loader...it might though...somehow. lol

i jsut got a couple of 8 gigs from sams club and they work fine. and are decently fast (verbatim store and go, kingstons in reality)

• 2 months later...
It's interesting how apparently everybody decided to start their multipass at the exact same time as me :P. I've seen like 5 different threads about multipasses in the last few days.

Anyways, Corsair would be my first suggestion. Their known for speed and quality. I've got an 8GB Corsair Voyager coming in the mail (that only cost me $20 too :D). There are other big names like Kingston to consider as well. For a multipass I wouldn't think you would need more than 8GB, but depending on what you plan on doing you could always go for more. Never hurts to have a little spare room ;).

How about this one:

OCZ 16GB Throttle Flash Drive - Read 90MB/s, Write 30MB/s, eSATA/USB2.0 - Black

the "best" is an ironkey...but i dont think it will work as a boot loader...it might though...somehow. lol

i jsut got a couple of 8 gigs from sams club and they work fine. and are decently fast (verbatim store and go, kingstons in reality)

beat me to my suggestion when i saw the topic, i thought iron key, but it wouldnt be useful in this case

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a couple of 8Gb Lexar sticks for AU$26 each; haven't had problems with them so far.

That being said, I recommend against using the really cheap ones because you don't know what brand of chip is being used as the memory storage.

If you have the money, go for one of the Corsair GT units.