what is the best liux to use on a pc and on note book would love to here from all your point a views

Horwood87

Ubuntu is probably the best distro to start with, simply due to its relaxed attitude towards proprietary drivers and the fact that it puts ease of use over ideological commitments. However this is a double-edged sword, as you will not learn as much as you would from a distro with a steeper learning curve. If you just want a free OS that works, then use it. But if you want to learn linux then look at something like debian instead.

Ubuntu is probably the best distro to start with, simply due to its relaxed attitude towards proprietary drivers and the fact that it puts ease of use over ideological commitments. However this is a double-edged sword, as you will not learn as much as you would from a distro with a steeper learning curve. If you just want a free OS that works, then use it. But if you want to learn linux then look at something like debian instead.

I always like to pick the distro with the biggest user base, since Linux support is entirely driven by the user community. Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, you get double the pleasure, double the fun. At work I run Debian, and Ubuntu on the desktop.

I use Fedora 11 on my desktop (Pentium 4, 758 Mb RAM) - but it's 7 years old, has become obsolete, and now the DVD RAM drive won't boot any of the disks I throw in. So it's in dire need of a hardware replacement but I like Fedora because it's fast - so less precious down time. It can archive things faster and 11 boots in 20 seconds even on that machine.

I use Ubuntu Intrepid right now on my Gateway CX210X tablet because it was the only distro I could get my tablet working in, and everything works great. No hardware issues (questionable tablet issue xorg interfering with the display when X shuts down, but no harm done. It just looks funny seeing the usplash all tiny.) and I'm keeping up with all the latest software like Firefox 3.5 and such automatically. So Ubuntu for desktop, Fedora for server, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ubuntu server. It's all just Linux to me.