Computing Presentation

nullArray

So I have to do a presentation on something technical for my computer engineering class. The professor created a list of students and randomly generated a date for each student to speak, and I'm of course, first.

It needs to be 5-7 minutes long, so I need enough information to last that long. It should be somewhat related to software or hardware (preferably hardware). "The History of Video Games" is bad but, "PS3 Cell Processor Architecture" is perfect.

I kinda wanted to do something on openCL/Grand Central, as it's perfect for this class (it was just redesigned to include multicore processors and GPUs), but I'm not sure I can find enough information to talk for at least 5 minutes. The wikipedia articles are stubs.

Any suggestions?

Arduino is already taken I think. Doing something on "security" doesn't really apply to my class, but perhaps something like deep packet inspection might.

EDIT: Examples of what other's have done: Virtual machines, Flash storage, Hardware multithreading, networks, PowerPC etc.

What about "A Introduction to Impact of Computer Gaming in the Society"...

Because this would be about soceity and pop culture and less on technology. This isn't for ethics or psycology, it should be as technical as possible.

If you thought about OpenCL but can't find enough, just go straight to nVidia Cuda, it has loads and loads of documentation and information out there, plus the advantage is that its easy to find loads of people actually using it.

5-7 minutes is a very very short presentation, you'll be surprised how quickly that time will go, especially if you are trying to convey something technical. I think it would be harder to find something you can't talk about for 5-7 minutes. Just remember that there is a difference between putting as much information humanly sayable in 5-7 minutes to how much information can be listened to and understood in 5-7 minutes. The difference is a very large gulf and good presentations don't drown the audience in information.

The being said I have seen very good presentations that have 258 slides in 60 minutes, the speaker was knackered at the end of it, but the listeners actually remembered more at the end.

If you thought about OpenCL but can't find enough, just go straight to nVidia Cuda, it has loads and loads of documentation and information out there, plus the advantage is that its easy to find loads of people actually using it.

5-7 minutes is a very very short presentation, you'll be surprised how quickly that time will go, especially if you are trying to convey something technical. I think it would be harder to find something you can't talk about for 5-7 minutes. Just remember that there is a difference between putting as much information humanly sayable in 5-7 minutes to how much information can be listened to and understood in 5-7 minutes. The difference is a very large gulf and good presentations don't drown the audience in information.

The being said I have seen very good presentations that have 258 slides in 60 minutes, the speaker was knackered at the end of it, but the listeners actually remembered more at the end.

Are cuda and openCL the same thing?

I realize 5-7 minutes is nothing, but the basic wikipedia search turned up with some info, but mostly PR talk and not quite enough for a 5 minute technical presentation.

How about:-

"How the improvements and innovations in computer games, drive the development and improvements in hardware"

I have seen a presentation on this many years ago and it was very interesting to see the way spec's were increasing inline with the new release of games.

Do CUDA as you can do a nifty demo or 2 like cracking a password. Should be pretty punchy.

Would be nifty if I had a computer with something besides intel integrated graphics.

I should almost do a poll...

Folding@Home seems to be a great idea too..., ugh, this is awful!

Well, how about PS3 Cell Processor Architecture? ;)

Wire has a point. I think you solved your question better before asking. PS3's cell archetecture can solidly be used to talk about almost everything we have suggested.

I looked at your signature. And I thought of admin. Maybe you could go into the internal things of being and admin. What you have to do. What tools. And probabaly best for you, I said you were student admin. So pick an advanced part of hardware or tools you use. And from there you can give a show and tell of it. Run the thing and be able to know inside and out. Because we all know the mean costuddent who asks you the complex question and get away with it! Good luck with it.

cheers,

Destro

p.s. Maybe modding or along those lines.