HackerSpace

l3db3tt3r

Hey all,

If you are wondering what I'm talking about check out hackerspace

I'm not sure if anyone is fallowing this, but it has recently come up (again) and seems to have a little more steam behind it. That article hit digg, and a few fallow up articles seam to be on the same idea or trend.

I'm not sure if anyone follows the people behind Make:, or Instructables but many of the masterminds behind those have also expressed interest in hakerspace, in various forms.

I was wondering if the Hak5 crew was fallowing this or interested in it. It would be really sweet to see if you could get a hak5 hackerspace going. I realize that this is very much location dependent. but it would be sweet to see one be a tangent from the show, even if it is or becomes it's own beast.

Edit: I'm going to keep adding some links as I come across them. I am /and have been/ interested in starting something like this in the future.

A nice PDF presentation about starting a hackerspace from the view of Chaos Computer Club Cologne also known as C4

A group out of SF, NoiseBridge

One of the groups featured in the Article mentioned before, NYC Resistor

DC area HACDC

Philly: The Hackotory

Kansas: cowtown computer congress

IDEA for for show, get a couple interviews with these guys, i'm sure you could get a whole segment.

Hacker Spaces are a good idea, I've been in a few and I know of a new one opening in London soon. The issue is they cost money and the only way they really work is if you do it with a group of people you trust. Anyone you let in has to be a friend of the people you trust otherwise everything tends to go tits up and things get nicked, damaged or the place turns into a shit hole.

I can't see how a Hak5 hacker space would really be any different than where they live now.

• 3 months later...
Hacker Spaces are a good idea, I've been in a few and I know of a new one opening in London soon. The issue is they cost money and the only way they really work is if you do it with a group of people you trust. Anyone you let in has to be a friend of the people you trust otherwise everything tends to go tits up and things get nicked, damaged or the place turns into a shit hole.

I can't see how a Hak5 hacker space would really be any different than where they live now.

Juts been sent a mail from a guy trying to organise one inthe north west uk..........will have a look see, seems interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
this makes me laugh only because I'm from Kansas.

The few I've been to in the UK were fairly boring. Its all Arduino, LED's and Mac's. The German ones I've been to were good, the few I've seen in the US have been a mixed bag, which is not a bad thing. I don't care if people love Arduino, LED's and Mac's there just needs to be more.