Photo
- - - - -

Trying to get past a bios PW on a Dell Latitude D810

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 VoxPopuli

VoxPopuli
  • Members

• 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hey, I just picked up a second hand Dell Latitude D810 laptop that has a bios password and I've been searching forums for a few hours and haven't come up with much. I tried calling Dell, but since I'm not an original owner they won't give me the admin password. This is my first time ever dealing with a bios password so I looked up as much as I could and found that you need to physically take the machine apart. I tried the simpler, non-invasive tactic of taking out the cmos battery for an hour, but apparently security on laptops are way tighter than desktops. Does anyone have experience with clearing the cmos on a laptop?

#2 NUSHOR

NUSHOR
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Fan +

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

use CmosPwd to either crack or kill the password (killing is easier)
check it out

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

#3 555

• Active Members
  • Hak5 forum junky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

take that little battery called the CMOS battery out for like 2 minutes then re-plug it back in, then the BIOS PW will be gone. It is a circular battery which resembles almost a wrist watch battery.

#4 Netshroud

Netshroud
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

555: AFAIK CMOS batteries are soldered onto the laptop motherboards.
"Why is it 'marketing' when a company helps itself to my information against my will and 'piracy' or 'industrial espionage' if I helped myself to THEIR information against their will ?"

#5 555

• Active Members
  • Hak5 forum junky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:11:37 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
555: AFAIK CMOS batteries are soldered onto the laptop motherboards.

I have not yet ever seen a laptop nor desktop which has a soldered CMOS battery to the motherboard. Maybe that has something to do with what country you are in? but I have not yet seen a soldered CMOS battery and have fixed over 100 different computers atleast, both laptops and desktops.. more desktops then laptops though.

#6 VoxPopuli

VoxPopuli
  • Members

• 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

Well, better news! I was able to successfully transfer the Dell Latitude 810 in my name and talk to a support rep.. but you know how that goes. They weren't able to retrieve the master password at this time and we'll see if I have any luck in the future. The CMOS battery is located beneath the laptop battery and I did remove it for over an hour. But I believe the machine has an EEPROm, which will store the master password indefinitely. After some hours of searching I found this http://www.darkmagic.../dell/dell.html, but I'm still sketch on taking it apart and not completely frying it.

I'm determined to get this machine running ohmy.gif

#7 Almighty

Almighty
  • Active Members
  • Hackling

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (VoxPopuli @ Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:11:33 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, I just picked up a second hand Dell Latitude D810 laptop that has a bios password and I've been searching forums for a few hours and haven't come up with much. I tried calling Dell, but since I'm not an original owner they won't give me the admin password. This is my first time ever dealing with a bios password so I looked up as much as I could and found that you need to physically take the machine apart. I tried the simpler, non-invasive tactic of taking out the cmos battery for an hour, but apparently security on laptops are way tighter than desktops. Does anyone have experience with clearing the cmos on a laptop?

My advice to you would be to contact whoever you bought the notebook from. Aside from that, I believe there are some pins on the mobo that you can short to clear the password. I can't remember which pins they are though.

#8 SomethingToChatWith

SomethingToChatWith
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Pirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

Remove the battery as well as the CMOS for a few minutes than see if it still maintains it.

#9 barry99705

barry99705
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (SomethingToChatWith @ Thu, 08 Oct 2009 19:59:24 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remove the battery as well as the CMOS for a few minutes than see if it still maintains it.

Did you read post #6 or even the first post?
Encryption is the chicken soup of security,
feel free to apply it if it makes you feel better because it’s not going to make things any worse,
but it may not make things any better either.  
---Peter Gutmann
1JRos2rbs9wKRBMchL9Ahw.png

#10 barry99705

barry99705
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Junkie

• 2,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Haven't actually tried what's on this site, but it's worth a shot.

http://homepage.ntlw...udslat/paragon/
feel free to apply it if it makes you feel better because it’s not going to make things any worse,
---Peter Gutmann

#11 SomethingToChatWith

SomethingToChatWith
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Pirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (barry99705 @ Fri, 09 Oct 2009 08:21:40 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you read post #6 or even the first post?

As a matter of fact yes. Not once did I see that both the battery AND CMOS were removed.

#12 NUSHOR

NUSHOR
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Fan +

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

thats because you don't have to tongue.gif it overwrites the password in the bios. no disassembly or removal of batteries needed. I use this all the time to mess with the computers at school (change the date to 2199, strange things happen)

#13 cedric

cedric
  • Members
  • Hackling

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (SomethingToChatWith @ Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:45:38 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a matter of fact yes. Not once did I see that both the battery AND CMOS were removed.

There sometimes is a reset jumper (usually close to the battery) that will let you reset the the BIOS to the original settings, you could look for that...

#14 barry99705

barry99705
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Junkie

• 2,156 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (cedric @ Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:38:27 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There sometimes is a reset jumper (usually close to the battery) that will let you reset the the BIOS to the original settings, you could look for that...

I've never seen a reset jumper on a laptop.
---Peter Gutmann

#15 Deveant

Deveant
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Uber fan +++

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

"These ones are something different. DELL notebooks save their BIOS password in an EEPROM-chip so it isn't deleted when you short-circuit the BIOS battery or something like that. Also there's no jumper/DIP-switch which disables the password."

Your going to need the Universal Password reset, if your Service ID for the laptop is -D35B, such as 8WG030J-D35B, then use a tool called Latitude_MasterPW.exe. Enter your service ID and it will give you your master password.