Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VoxPopuli

Trying to get past a bios PW on a Dell Latitude D810

15 posts in this topic

Hey, I just picked up a second hand Dell Latitude D810 laptop that has a bios password and I've been searching forums for a few hours and haven't come up with much. I tried calling Dell, but since I'm not an original owner they won't give me the admin password. This is my first time ever dealing with a bios password so I looked up as much as I could and found that you need to physically take the machine apart. I tried the simpler, non-invasive tactic of taking out the cmos battery for an hour, but apparently security on laptops are way tighter than desktops. Does anyone have experience with clearing the cmos on a laptop?

take that little battery called the CMOS battery out for like 2 minutes then re-plug it back in, then the BIOS PW will be gone. It is a circular battery which resembles almost a wrist watch battery.

555: AFAIK CMOS batteries are soldered onto the laptop motherboards.

555: AFAIK CMOS batteries are soldered onto the laptop motherboards.

I have not yet ever seen a laptop nor desktop which has a soldered CMOS battery to the motherboard. Maybe that has something to do with what country you are in? but I have not yet seen a soldered CMOS battery and have fixed over 100 different computers atleast, both laptops and desktops.. more desktops then laptops though.

Well, better news! I was able to successfully transfer the Dell Latitude 810 in my name and talk to a support rep.. but you know how that goes. They weren't able to retrieve the master password at this time and we'll see if I have any luck in the future. The CMOS battery is located beneath the laptop battery and I did remove it for over an hour. But I believe the machine has an EEPROm, which will store the master password indefinitely. After some hours of searching I found this http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html, but I'm still sketch on taking it apart and not completely frying it.

I'm determined to get this machine running :o

Hey, I just picked up a second hand Dell Latitude D810 laptop that has a bios password and I've been searching forums for a few hours and haven't come up with much. I tried calling Dell, but since I'm not an original owner they won't give me the admin password. This is my first time ever dealing with a bios password so I looked up as much as I could and found that you need to physically take the machine apart. I tried the simpler, non-invasive tactic of taking out the cmos battery for an hour, but apparently security on laptops are way tighter than desktops. Does anyone have experience with clearing the cmos on a laptop?

My advice to you would be to contact whoever you bought the notebook from. Aside from that, I believe there are some pins on the mobo that you can short to clear the password. I can't remember which pins they are though.

Remove the battery as well as the CMOS for a few minutes than see if it still maintains it.

Did you read post #6 or even the first post?

Did you read post #6 or even the first post?

As a matter of fact yes. Not once did I see that both the battery AND CMOS were removed.

thats because you don't have to :P it overwrites the password in the bios. no disassembly or removal of batteries needed. I use this all the time to mess with the computers at school (change the date to 2199, strange things happen)

As a matter of fact yes. Not once did I see that both the battery AND CMOS were removed.

There sometimes is a reset jumper (usually close to the battery) that will let you reset the the BIOS to the original settings, you could look for that...

There sometimes is a reset jumper (usually close to the battery) that will let you reset the the BIOS to the original settings, you could look for that...

I've never seen a reset jumper on a laptop.

"These ones are something different. DELL notebooks save their BIOS password in an EEPROM-chip so it isn't deleted when you short-circuit the BIOS battery or something like that. Also there's no jumper/DIP-switch which disables the password."

Your going to need the Universal Password reset, if your Service ID for the laptop is -D35B, such as 8WG030J-D35B, then use a tool called Latitude_MasterPW.exe. Enter your service ID and it will give you your master password.