they wont let me access HAK5

charm_quark

hey all, the university has blocked access to your site, classifing it as \"hacking\", i\'m currently accessing your site using a proxy, which i have to which i\'m to find a new one practically every day, isnt there a better method,, to bypass it?

In that kind of cases I use VPN connection. Server running at home will give me encrypted access to everything I want to. But in my case it's really slow.

However it's a good thing. Even if I'm at some non-trusted LAN and have to use unecrypted service with my password. I always do VPN.

Does SSH can tunel all protocols at once. Or just one specyfic ports. VPN traffic everything, IM's, mail, www. Sometimes it's a pain (speed) but mostly I am grateful, because way to much of stuff which I use is unencrypted.

So, both techniques do the same thing. You can choose which one you are going to use.

Suggestion:

Try to access website using IP address. Some admins block website using keywords in that case would be "hak"

but very few of them care of invert DNS querys. If that won't help - you have to use solutions above.

a more simple approach to getting to the site is when the site is blocked just ping hak5.org and enter the ip address in. this should work unless they are blocking the ip which isnt something normal so give it a try.

Have you tried? http://75.126.127.87/ - It just redirects to http://www.hak5.org/ which doesn't do any good. Then he have to insert the IP address and hostname in the hosts file on the PC, in order to circumvent any DNS blocking.

Most internet filtering appliances block both ip and domain names. Such as the 8e6 r3000, a common one. The best way to by pass these devices is just buy a proxy or ssh hosting service, around 5bucks a month.

Another idea is to ask your net admins nicely to just unblock hak5.org.

Like mentioned above , you can use several systems to access any site you want.

if you have an SSH server somewhere , just ssh into the box

ssh -D 9999 username@ip-address-of-ssh-server

Then change the proxy server on your browser to localhost port 9999 , use SOCKS proxy.

This will make sure that the URL's & posts will be encrypted , also all traffic to other sites will come from the SSH server's IP.

Never the less, DNS queries will be unencrypted and they could possibly hijack your DNS lookups. If you want to prevent this, make sure you change a setting in firefox

network.proxy.socks_remote_dns = true in about:config

That should do the trick. Of course you can tunnel any other traffic trough your SSH connection, just need to adjust the settings.

my two cents

sorry i forgot to give this information before, they are using a program called "websense", its annoying. the IT dept is not as generous, they turned down the request just by hearing the name. I'll try vnc and hope it works, my yesterdays proxy got ban'd... :huh:

are there not any flaw's in this program

You could setup a VNC(i like UltraVNC) server at your house, open a port on your firewall (whichever port you choose to run the server on) then you could connect to it from school. All you would be doing though is using your machine from school, so the SSH tunneling is the recommended method!

Although if you really still want to use VNC you could tunnel your VNC traffic through SSH! There is an episode where Darren and Paul(i think) show you how to do this! I'll try to find it for you.

EDIT: ok the episode is 1x07!! the segment starts at exactly 16 minutes into the episode... ;)

It should give you an idea of what you need to do! but as people have recommended it IS better to just use SSH without the VNC, but the choice is yours.

VNC for this problem is bloatware :)

You don't need to display your whole desktop, you just have to tunnel the requests you're making.

And yes, with SSH you can tunnel nearly everything. I for example tunnel http, smtp, pop3, ssl, jabber.

• 3 weeks later...

Lawl, we had websense at our highschool. And I didn't want it to ban my home ip and domain names. So I blocked there whole range of ip's on my main router. That way, If they go to the domain or IP they don't get anything and cant review it for blocking, It was great seeing the rule get hits too :)

or you could use tor

sometimes it's slow but it does the job

Just like ls said just use tor. When you use firefox there are some plugins so you can use tor with the hak5.org connection and for other sites (because it's much faster) you can use the normal connection without any proxy.

I agree with the above. Use Tor. It can be knind of slow sometimes, and make sure that you aren't dong any type of HTTP auth while on it because anyone running a Tor relay server could be sniffing traffic, but it does work. I used it at my university to circumvent some blocks. Only takes a few minutes to set up. make sure you protect against DNS leaks also.

some info on Tor.

http://www.torproject.org/

I have something to add: DON'T use TOR, whatever you do. The admins can find you all too easily, as I found out my first year of high school.

The admins of the university can find you as well if you're using other proxies. Principle Tor is nothing else. They just filter the traffic for certain IP adresses of the Tor server or look for certain IPs (therefore any VPN-tunnel or SSH-connection can be conspicuous for the admins too). I still think tor is the best solution.

If you are using a schools xomputer I think there is a portable version of tor this way you wont have to install on thier computer

There is a portable version of tor. The Chaos Computer Club in germany give usb-sticks with a portable version of tor to journalists who report of the olympic games in china. So the journalists were able to circumvent the "great firewall" of china.

Any php proxies is pretty much an instant block. I have used ssh with it running at a computer at home. But after awhile my school blocked ssh traffic. So I pretty much gave up on getting around blocks I even tried dialing up from there lines but they have voip. I have been thinking about trying to modify a phone so that i would still be able to dial up. Considering there are free dial up services out there.