HAR HACKING AT RANDOM 2009

tim.vangehugten

I will be there in add the Wireless Camp/Village, and just a little warning in advance, coming with a so named Hak.5 group/village is a little bit asking for trouble.

Most of the persons and groups that will be there add the campsite are hardcore hackers (yes and Crackers) and they just do not like softcore groups.

So the change will be very likely that a softcore Hak.5 group wil just be nuked and nuked and nuked and nuked and so on.

So my advice is when your are softcore or a nobody just try to blend in with out making your self really present.

Gerard

I will be there in add the Wireless Camp/Village, and just a little warning in advance, coming with a so named Hak.5 group/village is a little bit asking for trouble.

Most of the persons and groups that will be there add the campsite are hardcore hackers (yes and Crackers) and they just do not like softcore groups.

So the change will be very likely that a softcore Hak.5 group wil just be nuked and nuked and nuked and nuked and so on.

So my advice is when your are softcore or a nobody just try to blend in with out making your self really present.

Gerard

Very true, anyone under that banner will be targeted, there is no question of that.

thats the kinda crap that well scares me sometimes...i'd like to know more but i never go to conventions for the fear of being ridiculed for asking questions and looking like a dick.

it's almost like it's better to just go along and "look like you know what your on about".

dunno..that's just how i feel.

i guess a few more highly skilled people will end up saying, well if you don't know your shit you got no business being there.

thoughts?

^^ Agreed ^^

The way i see this though, is as a "softcore" or "nobody", i wouldnt hear about the hardcore meets.. im just not in those circles. DEFCON and HOPE kinda expect newbies there, and so a are free with the advertising.

Even the superest hacker in the world, asked these questions at one point

thats the kinda crap that well scares me sometimes...i'd like to know more but i never go to conventions for the fear of being ridiculed for asking questions and looking like a dick.

it's almost like it's better to just go along and "look like you know what your on about".

dunno..that's just how i feel.

i guess a few more highly skilled people will end up saying, well if you don't know your shit you got no business being there.

thoughts?

You can ask questions and your be fine, no one knows everything and cons are largely about having a laugh and learning something. I would strongly advise against "look like you know what your on about" as your be found out fairly fast and people may take the piss, fuck with your kit to prove a point or something else.

The thing is it's not that people are out to get you because your new, but more likely that you are trying to make yourself look like something your not. Coming as a Hak5 group makes you stand out for bad reasons and would be an attempt to make you look like a group of hackers which although there are people on here that know what their talking about, I'd say those are the people that would not want to be tared with the Hak5 brush.

To sum up, go, listen, ask questions, but blend in.

The way i see this though, is as a "softcore" or "nobody", i wouldnt hear about the hardcore meets.. im just not in those circles. DEFCON and HOPE kinda expect newbies there, and so a are free with the advertising.

Even the superest hacker in the world, asked these questions at one point

The real hardcore meets would be like the Linux kernel developers summit which you would just not get invited to. The ones where they only want people that know what their talking about are all invite only, everything else expects a level of new people.

The thing about hacking related cons is people like to fuck around with everyone else, sure you have pen testers that are a mixed bunch but you still have a handful of them that still want to play around. Something like Blackhat is purely professional, due to the cost but has people of all levels.

You really have three types of cons the infosec professional stuff, which is expensive to attend, your learn quite a bit if your new, but its like going to a business meeting with sysadmin staff. Then you have the normal ones where anyone can come, there affordable, you can learn a lot but you have to wade through some crap, but they are a lot of fun. Finally you have invite only, which everyone know what there talking about, you may learn something new, they are largely cheap to attend and can be a lot of fun.