Clark Connect

dejai

Has anyone here had any experience with Clark Connect its meant to be a really nice linux distribution that comes pre installed with firewalls, proxies, mail servers, dns servers, web servers etc etc. Its something I think would be a really good idea to put in one of the new episodes check it out.

Well, then there's also Engarde to try out, which offers kind of the same to what I know. There are probably also other distros alike out there.

I don't think distros are something for Hak5 to focus on, as there are that many other sites which does reviews of those, for instance distrowatch.com. Hak5, imo, should focus more on the small pieces of software which makes the life a lot easier in the everyday work. For instance like Synergy which was shown some time ago, which I now use everyday at home.

I used CC a couple years ago (V6 i think it was). As long as you have a subscription service to the updates its a pretty good all in one distro for someone who dont want to get their hands on the innerworkings. I ran it off an old cobalt cube for a small company i was supporting a while back.

I've been using ClarkConnect for years now, and I'd recommend it over ANY and ALL distros, if you're looking for ease of use and for the "It Just Works"-feeling.

Whether you want to use ClarkConnect as a router/firewall/gateway or even a server box, it can handle all that, and mostly from a web-interface.

The community edition has served me very, very well. Never had a breach in the past 4-5 years. :)

PFsense is by far the best x86 firewall OS i've used. Very simple to use and configure.

You can't really compare pfSense and ClarkConnect, as they focus on different things. pfSense is all about the rounting/firewall, whereas ClarkConnect is more of an all-in-one solution. I do think that pfSense really outperform the firewall of ClarkConnect, but at the cost of lower features in areas other then firewall/routing.

We are using both pfSense and ClarkConnect where I work. ClarkConnect as mailserver, since we don't want to waste time on the maintenance of a mailserver, we have more important things to use our time on, and pfSenses for gateways, routers and also for our office connection :)

• 3 weeks later...
Its odd that no one has taken openbsd and pf, nailed a gui on top of it and created a firewall distro from it. Also, can you use a nix box as a mail relay for exchange?

Yes, were using a postfix box for inbound relay / message queue that goes to a scrubber box then to the mail server. the process is reversed for outbound relay.

Its odd that no one has taken openbsd and pf, nailed a gui on top of it and created a firewall distro from it. Also, can you use a nix box as a mail relay for exchange?

There is actually a distro called Comixwall out there that did exactly that. I won't advocate or recommend for productio-use because development has been very slow due to the author relocating for work, but the overall concept (OpenBSD, pf, altq, etc.) is nice. I recently heard from the author and made several code recommendations for bug fixes, so I'd imagine a new release is in the works with some updates eventually.

• 2 weeks later...