linux live cd

neokun

So Ive been wanting to try out a Linux live CD for a while and i got some questions,

1:

which distribution should i get?

whats your opinion on the best distribution?

2:

how do you run a live CD?

will i have to wait by my computer or can i play some xbox live while i wait?

3:

how long will it take?

i have 256MB of ram and an Intel Pentium 4, 2.00GHz processor

if you know anything about what im trying to do plz reply

1: Knoppix or Ubuntu [personal opinion]

2: You download an image of the cd. You burn this at a low speed and verify if it was burned correctly. You insert it into your cd drive. You boot from it (BIOS or F? key). You hit [RETURN] if you have chosen Knoppix, you select boot from cd if you have chosen Ubuntu. You wait and watch. You don't play Xbox Live meanwhile. You have to learn.

3: It will take some minutes, usually 3-5. The problem with your configuration is the low RAM. If possible upgrade to 512 or better.

I don't know anything what you want to do.

[MISSION ACCOMPLISHED]

i guess ill try Ubuntu, and suggestions on a mirror(URL would be nice)?

and yes i know i need more ram my computer is about 6 years old (lol i know)

but im looking for a job, will the load time of the CD increase because of low ram or will i be fine?

I just installed LinuxMint on a old pc, 256RAM and a 1.80ghz pentium, and it is running great. The hardware support is good and i just like the look of it. The computer is for my grandparents and all they do is look at ebay and read the news so i didnt have to setup compiz or any bells and whistles.

As mentioned above, Ubuntu or it's brother OS Kubuntu is probably your best bet. If downloading is a problem you can order a CD with the operaitng system on, but that may take a few weeks (They ship them for free!).

So Ive been wanting to try out a Linux live CD for a while and i got some questions,

1:

whats your opinion on the best distribution?

2:

will i have to wait by my computer or can i play some xbox live while i wait?

3:

how long will it take?

if you know anything about what im trying to do plz reply

well correct me if im wrong but it sounds to me like you just want to try out linux for the first time to see whats it about and to get a good feel of it. I suggest you start of with dsl or in full, damn small linux... its about 50 mb and it will fit on a flash so it can allow you to boot from the flash...alternatily u can even run dsl as a shell in windows

First question, unless you plan on getting more RAM I would suggest Puppy Linux or DSL <damn small Linux> A 2GIG computer with 512 to a Gig or ram will run pretty much any distro but 256 Megs is a bit small for a live CD, remember what doesn't live in RAM must be loaded when you click on the desktop icon.

Live cd... Download the .ISO image from http://distrowatch.com/ which should be your first stop on this venture, burn a CD as a disk image, when the CD ejects reboot with the CD in the tray and the computer set to boot from CD and you're in, if you use one of the small distros it won't take that long to load and if you are on a router you will likely have the internet at boot so you can play away.