server

xil--ooples--lix

be4 i git started , i dont no anny thing about servers but i have about 50 200 giabite hardrives that all came out of computers whin my dads company upgraded to vistat 64 bit and he thot that it wod just be eazer 2 instal viat 2 a new dist then git rida of xp on the drivez and i have a new tosiba laptop , and my dad noing that computers is my aroplane gave them 2 me , noing i cant uze the 10 tarbits wanted 2 make a server out of them , map all the drives togather so my brother syster dad mom , cod use it , becus i cant use it all , but i was wondring if it was at all posable to mak it so say i instald a program on it that i cod be used simotaniosly on all computers at the same time and about howmutch will i haf 2 spend on it to do so

1: Your English is fucking terrible.

2: You have 2 choices, capacity and redundancy. Given that they are old disks, i would go for redundancy. In particular some form of raid.

3: The software solution to your problem is solaris & ZFS, in particular multiple raidz arrays. If you are a windows man, you would want to look putting all these servers into a DFS share for a domain.

4: Hardware wise you want to look at lots of low power machines (the cheap Via iDOT systems) with raid cards and big cases. If I read that correctly and you have 50 discs it will require a number of machines. Maybe £2-3K?

5: Your English is fucking terrible.

my dad has a big bussnes were thay bylaw half 2 upgrad programs and some programs have minmimum systom requierments , i normly sell them on ebay , but its agents pircy laws 2 sell anny harddrive tipe equepment with out compltly formating it , and i dont want 2 wast the time doing that 4 20 bucks but yes i have 50 200gig 7200 , 32mb cath

then download the internet

50 x 200 = 10000 -> 10Tb... it might just hold Wiki if your lucky.

Anywho, i suggest buying a USB to <Insert HDD Interface here> clean format 40 of them, sell them on Ebay with atleast a 25$ gain, thats atleast a 1000$ gain, then use the money to bankroll raid'ing the remaining 10.

50 x 200 = 10000 -> 10Tb... it might just hold Wiki if your lucky.

Anywho, i suggest buying a USB to <Insert HDD Interface here> clean format 40 of them, sell them on Ebay with atleast a 25$ gain, thats atleast a 1000$ gain, then use the money to bankroll raid'ing the remaining 10.

English wikipedia is only 6.5GB uncompressed if you only get the current revisions and text only, and there's currently no way to download all the images anyway. If you get all revisions it's somewhat over 300GB.

http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/

^^ ther ar mor recreatinal waz 2 git poast counts :o

there sata2

i dont nead the space my new lapto hase 500 gigs on it <got it 2 days ago>

and the desktop im behind right now has 300 gigs of free space, i legly cant sell them with out full reformat, and that takes 2 mutch effert 4 25 dollers