Place your vote for your preferred meetup location:  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• England
    • Berlin
    • Amsterdam
    • Somewhere in Belgium
    • Other (Please post below)

I voted 4 Berlin, its cheap to travel to with airplane, train, bus or car.

(the only problem i have with Berlin is that hardly any body speaks Englisch and i don't speak German).

Gerard

I shouldn't think language would be a major problem in a big city like berlin. They must be used to tourists. I usually manage even in the sticks with a phrase book and some patience. Chances are some germans will pop up in the thread soon anyway lol.

(the only problem i have with Berlin is that hardly any body speaks Englisch and i don't speak German).

disagree --- at least, 80% of the germans do speak english.

incl.  me  :cool:

Yeah very true.

Just looked, easyjet are doing flights for under £50

No its the other way arond 20% speaks Englisch and 80% only speaks and understand German (that's why all Englisch films on German T.V are still synchronisat in German with German voices)

Gerard

No its the other way arond 20% speaks Englisch and 80% only speaks and understand German (that's why all Englisch films on German T.V are still synchronisat in German with German voices)

Gerard

Off topic here I know, but what is it with Germans and voice overs? Why on earth do they not subtitle everything like the rest of the world. The Mexicans are the same.

Off topic here I know, but what is it with Germans and voice overs? Why on earth do they not subtitle everything like the rest of the world. The Mexicans are the same.

The french also do. I think it is cause you can't fully concentrate on the movie when you're to busy reading subtitles.

PERSONAL THEORY: An other option is that the Germans weren't that pro-american (subtitles were invented in 1929 for the first time) so during the ware, to avoid the "american" voices, they might thought of just dubbing the movie. And they keep doing it up till now...

The french also do. I think it is cause you can't fully concentrate on the movie when you're to busy reading subtitles.

PERSONAL THEORY: An other option is that the Germans weren't that pro-american (subtitles were invented in 1929 for the first time) so during the ware, to avoid the "american" voices, they might thought of just dubbing the movie. And they keep doing it up till now...

I don't find that, I find that after a while the act of reading the subtitles becomes subconcious and you can understand what they're saying quite easily.

As for your theory, I doubt its anything to do with that. The rise of American culture as a dominant global media didn't happen until after the 2nd world war when America emerged as the only country involved in the war to suffer no attacks on its mainland and thus an intact production infrastructure. Also before the 2nd world war, domestic cinema would have been dominant. Given that until America finally got of its arse and got involved with ww2 it was an isolationist nation I doubt it would have exported a significant amount of movies to Nazi Germany. I suspect that it came about purely because most foriegn movies people would have wanted to watch would have been popular american movies where as foriegn movies watched in english speaking nations would have been more art housey. Watching an interlectual art movie with a voice over would detract from the expirence where as watching Stuff Blows Up and Women Get Naked IV: Rise of the Bat Spiders  can't really get any worse whatever language your using.

Btt:

I searched for some cheap hostels in Berlin and found some, starting by 12€ per night. I don't have any experiences with priceranges, so, are 12 Euros cheap or not so cheap?

Other question, what are you willing to pay per night? In what range?

I'm voting for England just because I know what happened to Metatrons luggage on the way to the last meetup and if I'm brining kit with me I'd rather be able to see it on the train than give it to some baggage handler to throw about then lose.

Anywhere would be ok though. I haven't been to the other 3 choices so it would be an experience.

Something to check though, does Berlin have good stuff to do during the days? Last year we went to the Science Museum which was a great geeky way to spend a day.

I'm voting for England just because I know what happened to Metatrons luggage on the way to the last meetup and if I'm brining kit with me I'd rather be able to see it on the train than give it to some baggage handler to throw about then lose.

Anywhere would be ok though. I haven't been to the other 3 choices so it would be an experience.

Something to check though, does Berlin have good stuff to do during the days? Last year we went to the Science Museum which was a great geeky way to spend a day.

Yeah they have a lot to do in the day. They have everything you would expect in a capital city.

Btt:

I searched for some cheap hostels in Berlin and found some, starting by 12€ per night. I don't have any experiences with priceranges, so, are 12 Euros cheap or not so cheap?

Other question, what are you willing to pay per night? In what range?

I don't mind as long as it is a little bit decent.