Tired of having my mp3 player stolen.

scottydont4444

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This sort of reminds me of the USB storage drive, Ironkey. It has a security system that you might want to look into. Password protected, anti-bruteforce attack, anti-dictionary attack, ect. It also prevents someone from getting on your device with a self-destruct mechanism. After about 10 login fails it wipes the drive clean of any and all files.

Maybe you could find a similar program on the internet somewhere. Get to searchin'!

i like the ipod as a hardware device. but honestly if i ever get one of my own first thing im going to do is swap the firmware to something custom

• 3 weeks later...

well all is good and all, first thing to do is try to hide the damn thing, but what about a program what would require a password of some sort when you introduce the usb drive or the ipod, if the pass is not given in a amount of time, bam all hdd formated :P no yes?

well what you could do is format the drive to ext3 that way..if someone does steal it...they probly wont be able to use it

as far as prevention...keychain with a bell on it like a jingle bell or somehthing

works with my moms purse...although her millions of keys are the built in bell lol

trust me you can here that thing halfway down the street lol

If I was you I would write a program Hacksaw, or modify it so that it does different things, hell you could get the IP if ya wanted and have your software tag the computer track the IP and Boom there ya go. There is a whole varety of things that you could use, or misuse for that matter ! have fun !

• 1 month later...

You should probably just learn to take better care of your stuff. I've had the same cellphone since 2003 and it's never been stolen, even at high schools(breeding grounds for theives and std's, as I like to say,) and in rough parts of town.

There's also no point in sticking a 200 dollar gps beacon in a 60 dollar mp3 player. Once it's gone, it's probably gone forever. You should probably try to make the "new" owner's life a living hell. One idea that comes to mind is recording binaural beats that induce vomiting (my friend has a tone generator that can do this), and name them to be popular rap songs, and make sure it doesn't get thrown in with your regular playlist

A good tip is if you can't see it, make sure you can feel it in your pocket, even if you have to do the macarena to make sure it's still on you.

You could also keep your hands in your pocket that has the mp3 player, buy crappy mp3 players that nobody wants to steal, and be less trusting of those around you (be more paranoid! it helps to protect an investment!). Most crimes happen out of opportunity, so if you minimize the opportunity, you will greatly reduce the chances of getting your next mp3 player stolen.