Tired of having my mp3 player stolen.

scottydont4444

Hello

So I have just had my Ipod stolen a couple of weeks ago and it was a very frustrating ordeal.  I recently purchased a SamsungP2 mp3 player and am quite scared about losing it or having it stolen.  I was wondering if there was a way to make a file or program that when the mp3 player was inserted into a computer, said program would look up the IP address of that computer and send an email to me letting me know the IP address?

This is just one idea that I've had but if you have any other ideas or know any websites/ forums that are already discussing this then that would be helpful too. 

Getting it to tell you the IP address of the computer it is plugged in to is worthless. Some thing else is called for, some thing a bit more towards the legal gray area perhaps. I don't really want to give any ideas of course, but IP addresses can't prove any thing and don't stand up in courts any more (now that judges are a bit more wise up on how the internet works).

Getting it to tell you the IP address of the computer it is plugged in to is worthless. Some thing else is called for, some thing a bit more towards the legal gray area perhaps. I don't really want to give any ideas of course, but IP addresses can't prove any thing and don't stand up in courts any more (now that judges are a bit more wise up on how the internet works).

Well the whole IP address was just an idea. I just knew that was one way of proving that the mp3 player was mine and could at least help with locating it. If you have a better way to do so than that would be great!

Theres a whole free web service that does that, though I forget the name right now. I need to figure it out again so I can uninstall the stuff

EDIT: I think the website was Gadget Track, but they are not free anymore oh well

I have checked into this website and I am not really looking to spend money on this. I have already figured out a simple way to disguise the program so that it will launch when connected to the computer. I just need some sort of script or simple program that will give me some proof that the mp3 player is indeed mine and also some way to locate said missing mp3 player.

This kind of reminds me of some social engineering done once by a security company; We all know that there are flaws existing in the human beings - that's what SE is all about. A company asked a security company to test the employees. This involved following them around during the week, spotting their habits and so on. After doing this for a while, they were actually able to pinpoint the location of specific people... They knew just where to *hack* them. Imagine finding a usb thumbdrive (these were just the cheap ones that are literally getting thrown at you sometimes) on the street. Many people pick these up thinking "Oh cheerio! this is my lucky day!" - The truth: it contained a newly developed trojan that wasn't going to get picked up by Norton  :lol:

Soon the employees would be plugging this goody into computers at home or at work, in most cases it was the closest one.

-----------

I don't think judges would look kindly at the way you are carrying around trojan's all the time, better go with something else if you ask me. - Like the people who have managed to trace stolen computers, because they had installed SETI and other @home projects that would start sending data along with the IP addresses.

Good luck with your findings

I remember when I built my first computer I was afraid that someone would steal it, since I had put so much money into it.  I started a similar thread over at another forum.  The conclusion that I came up with was I got renter's insurance for $10 a month.  It covers theft, fire, ect., and everything I own in my house, but I guess that doesn't help with a mobile device.  Of course, I do have insurance on my cell phone.  I say just get over it.  Practice safe habits that will make it less likely for your mp3 player to get stolen, and get on with your life instead of worrying about it.

I remember when I built my first computer I was afraid that someone would steal it, since I had put so much money into it.  I started a similar thread over at another forum.  The conclusion that I came up with was I got renter's insurance for $10 a month.  It covers theft, fire, ect., and everything I own in my house, but I guess that doesn't help with a mobile device.  Of course, I do have insurance on my cell phone.  I say just get over it.  Practice safe habits that will make it less likely for your mp3 player to get stolen, and get on with your life instead of worrying about it.

Lojack would work for you, I personally have never used it, but it sounds reliable.  They have built good car systems for years.

What something like this calls for is vigilantly justice, simple write a program that deletes every file on a computer (they're out there but I'm not gonna link you to one, thats like giving a little kid a gun).  Then write a little .inf the auto runs it, and use iTunes.ico for the autorun menu and have it say something like "Start Using Your iPod with iTunes", they click and bam!

Or don't leave your expensive things laying around so people can take them.

I suggest the latter.

Get one of these and no one will be the wiser. Then again, someone might steal them thinking they are just plain headphones...

http://gizmodo.com/344202/skullcandy-doubl...-the-mp3-player

a pencil makes a great weapon, there very sharp and in the perfect shape for getting rid of vampires who steal your mp3 players

also,  hide your mp3 player in your coat  that way someone cant run and grab it

also, if theres someone who steals mp3 players in your area, this is what you do,  get some photo paper and your CAD software ready,  and try to make the best paper  mp3 player you can. then walk around the area with it in the open

when the person comes to steal it,  make it the last thing they will ever do. if possible  do this near a store or  area when visible cameras that just in case, there will be video saying that you acted in self defense

and if you have the license to own a fire arm, then  remember, shoot twice, you will have a better chance of taking them down.  at 20 feet, aim for the head,  40 feet and further, aim for the chest as standard bullets  are not very aerodynamic and  are greatly effected by the wind and they can drift by as much as 2 feet from your target

Why not use one of the payloads sub programs like the msn and IE,Firefox autotype in's :D this way you would be able to get there msn email address and be able to speak to them but if they dont but use myspace (or hak5  8-) ) you could contact them there thats what i would do but an ipod touch doesnt have the hard drive function in it :( not fair. Hope that helps ya.

and if you have the license to own a fire arm, then  remember, shoot twice, you will have a better chance of taking them down.  at 20 feet, aim for the head,  40 feet and further, aim for the chest as standard bullets  are not very aerodynamic and  are greatly effected by the wind and they can drift by as much as 2 feet from your target

You never aim for the head, it shows intent to kill rather than self defense. Also, its a far smaller target, so your more likely to miss and given that there inside 20' they could easily close the distance and stab you in less time than it would take you to pull of a shot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill). You aim for the center of mass and double tap, always, since a: your more likely to hit them and b: there is a far greater chance you will hit something vital and cause a relevant level of trauma.

Plus, "he took my iPod" is never going to excuse killing someone. Its a fucking iPod.

• 3 months later...

Shoot to wound is a myth. Period. All police shoot to kill, every time. They use what they politely called the zipper method, they start shooting at your belly button and then start to "zip" up until you stop moving or they run out of ammunition. What police are trained to do is neutralize whatever threat is coming at them. Not that this is a self defense thread, and I suspect that earlier comments were meant in jest, but I hate for inaccurate information to be out there.

This is true though ...

You never aim for the head, it shows intent to kill rather than self defense. Also, its a far smaller target, so your more likely to miss and given that there inside 20' they could easily close the distance and stab you in less time than it would take you to pull of a shot (Wikipedia). You aim for the center of mass and double tap, always, since (a.) your more likely to hit them and (b.) there is a far greater chance you will hit something vital and cause a relevant level of trauma.

Plus, "he took my iPod" is never going to excuse killing someone. Its a fucking iPod.

I suggest reading a very good book by Massad Ayoob (Wikipedia) called In The Gravest Extreme (Amazon). He lays out what kind of weapon to use for your size and level of training, and also what to expect after you are forced to defend yourself with a firearm. He also outlines the legal ramifications of defending yourself with deadly force, and why you should avoid using deadly force if at all possible.

• 3 weeks later...

What you should do is not just get their IP address, you want something even better :)

You want to get the GPS location of where they are connecting from...

Only problem with that is you might have to buy a very small GPS tracking device, that you can hide inside your mp3 player... then with there exact GPS location you look them up on google maps and go to there house and beat their ass and take your ipod back from that thief!

otherwise

With their IP you can get the location of where their ISP is at, but the ISP wont tell you any information about them unless you have legal actions going on...

But I think there might be a way to get the information yourself, its something to look into! it would be a nice hack, bypassing the need for a GPS device...

But if your not willing to spring for the dough, and you can't figure out a way to get their address from ip address...

You could code a program that acts as a client, winsock ftw! make it keylog and send you the keystrokes to your computer running a server also custom coded... also if they go on any map sites like google maps you can get the addresses they type in and determine where they live that way :)

you will have to get the program to install and run secretly in the background, but ONLY if its been stolen, one way ive come up with to determine that, well if its stolen you know its stolen... the installer works in the background like the actual anti-theft software, and pings the server once in a while, and if it gets the ping back and doesn't time out, it knows that the mp3 player was stolen and to install the anti-theft software(ONLY RUN THE SERVER IF IT WAS STOLEN)... other wise do nothing for a while and wait to ping again, that way the software wont get installed unless its stolen, so if you plug it into a computer yourself it wont install on your PC, you could even make it not even run on your PC by making a way for it to determine your computer from anyone elses, using a hardware ID, or a registry key, or anything like that...

so in that event of it being stolen, you run the server and just wait on it until a connection is made(when the thief plugs it into his comp and the ping is successfull and the client is installed)... since the ping worked the theif has plugged the mp3 player into his computer, and so the freshly installed client will start sending you keystrokes and other data if you choose, it also should be installed in a hidden location and add the registry key to make it start up with windows... you also might want to look into removing it from the task manager list to be ultra stealth... The best way is using a kernel mode driver which removes the process from the EPROCESS structure, but there is a usermode alternative that I know of, but the driver way is better ;)

You don't even need to figure out a way to bypass their firewall(if they have one) since their computer is the client, the one that initiates the connection, if you did it the other way around and had their computer run the server, you wouldn't be able to connect to them if they were firewalled... also you don't need to send the client back any info, its just a one way stream of data to you...

make the server save logs and alert you if they go on any map sites, so that you don't have to watch it the whole time...

If you are serious about not getting your stuff stolen, then its not a bad route to go! but you would only make that kind of software and use it on that person because his did wrong to you, so you want to get your shit back! never use this kind of software on anyone who doesn't deserve it!

the only thing is I've got no coding experience for linux, so I wouldn't know how to accomplish the same in linux, so if they've got linux, or anything but windows, that poses a problem with this solution...

The other guys who had ideas of shooting the guy, lol I think they've been playing a little to much CSS ;)

thats taking it too far...

Also the best way to not even have to make special software, or shoot anyone would be just to as someone said above, do not leave it where someone else has the possibility of taking it...

That is the best way, yet shit happens so when it does, be prepared mwhahaha :)

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't throw the idea of IP tracking out of the window. Many college networks (if you happen to be living at one) give an external IP to every connected user. Also, the IP addresses resolves to the name of the building and some times the subset of the building is the last name of the user registered to that address. ie: (145.resent.dorm1.smith) Using that information you could use the the university directory to look up who's room your device is connected too.