Before you ask a question...

moonlit

Before you ask a question here, first ask yourself if it's going to get you flamed like a pig on a spit. Think about what you're asking, think about who you're asking, think about where you're asking and above all think about why you're asking.

This is a place you can come for help with something or information about something and don't get me wrong, we all love to help, but we're not the free meal deal on a plate with free pull-back-and-go-toy solution. Read a book, google it, check wikipedia, ask other people, just... don't expect the answers on a plate.

I'm trying to be nice, I'm trying not to single anyone out or go on a blinding rant about how Mr X and Ms Y can't seem to think for themselves but please people, use some sense. If you can find an answer in 20 seconds on Google in a step by step format with friendly pointers along the way is there really any point coming here, waiting 2 days, then getting your ass chewed up? No, not really, right?

In the end though this doesn't just save everyone else getting irritated at you, it helps you too. What if this forum disappears? What if you no longer have the internet? What happens if everyone point blank refuses to help? You need to learn to find things yourself otherwise you'll be screwed when you need it most and we're not here to spoon feed you it. Oh yeah, and for you aspiring hackers out there? It comes with the territory, you gotta do your research and you've gotta do it well...

Bon voyage électronique.

Oh, and I almost forgot, we won't show you where to find warez, cracks or other illegal software... see above, you don't need us to. :)

Edit: I'll leave this thread unlocked for the moment and feel free to add to it, but I may trim or lock it if it goes off-topic or gets out of hand.

I'd also like to add then when you come back, having done a little research, and still don't understand.  Ask specific questions, something like " I can't  connect my laptop to my tower?  How do I do it?" is not likely to get you help, but "I've tried to connect my laptop to my wrt54gs wireless router but windows XP says can't connect" will get you A LOT more responses, and they'll be the kind that help and work.

Also, Be strait to the point with the question, not saying "I need to hack 'my friends' password."

Which we also won't help with, by the way, be it your password or "a friend's", because we have no idea if you're being entirely truthful.

Again though, read the first post in this thread, do a little work, and all will be clear. If we know how to "hack passwords" then it's likely someone else (someone more willing to tell you how) does too.

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately today there are way to many drivebys on forums. Usually it's because the forums get indexed by google then people just post question after question...

The internet is chock full of information and it would be stupid to rely on just one source for information. I rarely come across problems that a good google search or wikipedia read doesn't fix.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I believe that I am the only person on the forum that is able, and without consequence (for some reason), to use the 'dots' things that 'H@L0_F00' is talking about. But to get back on subject.

Please search this site as well. Seeing the same questions posted over and over again can become annoying.

When asking said question, please try to use complete sentences. Having random words jumbled together really doesn't help anyone in the end.

Smiles posted over and over again really do not help either. Being similar to the 'dots' part posted above, this can become annoying and make people not want to even read the question.

The bottom line is: Make sure you make your post make sense, and that you don't sound, or look like a complete moron. Acting like one, will get you treated like one.

A preferred Linux distro is best chosen by the user. Check out a few.

http://www.linux.org/

Please search this site as well. Seeing the same questions posted over and over again can become annoying.

GO two posts up to your other one.

We already have the linux question thread: http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11579

:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...