Harddrive problems

pVnRT

I've got this harddrive it's a 120 gb maxtor diamondmax 9. a couple of months back it crashed, i managed to retreive 30 gigs of data. Then I reformatted it and now windows recognises it as a 30 gig harddrive. That's 1/4 of the harddrives capacity.

I have this idea that it can only access the first disc in the drive. I've tried to use killdisk with no luck, is there anyway I can "wake up" the other discs in the drive?

I'm running WinXP BTW

I understand it's tempting to keep using the drive, but you just experienced the pain of losing 66% of your data. You _KNOW_ the drive is bad. Are you sure you want to go through this again?

I dislike Maxtor now that I have had 2 duff 200GB drives from them. Next time i think I will go for Seagate and get a nice 5 year warrenty.

In the meantime I recommend Spinrite, its a bit on the pricey side but it is an excellent program.

this is the second time i i've had problems with maxtor, had an old 18 gig back in the days that crashed and I never really bothered to try to fix it.

thx for the tip, I'll look into this spinrite program.

set it on fire. mite unmelt the platters :roll:

I love how all of your solutions to any problem someone's having is to set it on fire. Always a good laugh.

And in terms of the hard drive, you've fried it and will need a new one. That is unless of course you're capable of somehow physically fixing the hdd itself.

At least you managed to salvage 30 gigs worth. My recommendation would be Seagate because 1) They have an amazing warranty (5 years) and 2) I have two-120 GB hdds by them and after 3 years, I have not have a single problem.... knock on wood.

MMM, very intersesting thread, I have to say that I like it a lot.

I myself had a harddrive fail, and a 120 gig maxtor, but it was like 5 years old, in and out of 4 computers, use for storage, windows os, linux os, and what not.

But I have never had any trouble with Maxtor, Western Digital, Or Segate.

But just for my personal opinion, the only two brands that I trust is Western Digital and Maxtor, never tried a Segate, something about the name bothers the hell out of me for some reason, and never tried on and never will. Hope that I am not raining on anyones parade of segate harddrives

The problem with seagate is (or at least used to be) that they made some wonderful drives, and quite a lot of stunningly dreadful ones. That was YEARS ago, but to this day I still have "Seagate = Garbage" etched into my brain. I'll never voluntarily buy a Seagate. The price differences aren't worth the lack of peace of mind.

Western Digital and Maxtor never failed me. The first harddisk I ever bought was a 1 GB (Whooo!) Western Digital. I bent a pin when I tried to install it. :oops: Thankfully I could just bend it back no problem. At that time the machine I had also had a 420 MB Seagate harddisk in it and this WD drive just murdered it performance-wise. Blew it away.

Eventually it became a handmedown that I passed to my sister, and the drive died gracefully (started showing problems, but was still accessible most of the time, allowing a new drive to take over the data) about 10 years after purchase.

Not surprisingly, I have all Western Digital drives in my 11-disk RAID5 array.

Before I used to run mainly SCSI in my systems, and did so off a 16 GB Maxtor Atlas drive. Again, a FAN-TAS-TIC drive. Very fast, but got very hot. Later an uncle gave me 2 8GB Seagate SCSI drives. And again, the Maxtor whooped their asses. It was older and bigger, but it just blew the seagates away. I even tried to RAID0 the 2 Seagates to give it a transfer speed edge, and even then the Maxtor beat its ass handily.

So, in closing, my experience with Seagate isn't very good. IBM/Hitachi blew it with the Deathstar drives. What remains are Maxtor and Western Digital, and both have yet to disappoint me.

MMM, very intersesting thread, I have to say that I like it a lot.

I myself had a harddrive fail, and a 120 gig maxtor, but it was like 5 years old, in and out of 4 computers, use for storage, windows os, linux os, and what not.

But I have never had any trouble with Maxtor, Western Digital, Or Segate.

But just for my personal opinion, the only two brands that I trust is Western Digital and Maxtor, never tried a Segate, something about the name bothers the hell out of me for some reason, and never tried on and never will. Hope that I am not raining on anyones parade of segate harddrives

Just somethings I noticed this morning.

you say you had a 120 gig maxtor fail, then you say you've never had any trouble with maxtor.

you say you've never had any trouble with seagate, then you say you have never tried a Seagate.

I wasn't going to say anything because I figured someone else would, but when no one else did I had to say something. Sorry

What's this???? a thread about bad drives and nobody mentioned the old IBM "DeathStar"... what is the world comming to. All of my maxtors have held up pretty good, I actually still have a few 2 and 4GB maxtors lying around that are still functional. For a while tho, every WD drive I bought lasted almost exactly 2 years, then died.

What's this???? a thread about bad drives and nobody mentioned the old IBM "DeathStar"... what is the world comming to.

Ahem

All of my maxtors have held up pretty good, I actually still have a few 2 and 4GB maxtors lying around that are still functional. For a while tho, every WD drive I bought lasted almost exactly 2 years, then died.

I guess I had better luck with them. There's some funky stuff going on currently with these that I'll tell you guys all about once the issue is sorted (because I don't really believe it's a drive problem), but for the time being WD and Maxtor are still the drives I would pick first.

Maxtor just has a reputation with me for being more "Budget" whereas the WDs are more "Performance".

• 4 weeks later...

I had a maxtor 120gb hdd and I noticed some things started to dissapear on it and then windows started saying it found corrupt sectors.

Then it stopped dectecting it on bootup and at that point i knew something was f**ked up on it.

So i went out and got a 200gb seagate hdd and managed to backup my data, now my old maxtor is sitting in my pc turned off and will be for along time.