is this a common problem?

shadow1100mfp

wow i have alot of computer problems lol.

i've searched all over google, tried many of the hits there but none of them worked. what it is, on my new computer, itunes and quicktime just stopped working (though i can still use youtube). because quicktime stopped working, i can't use kodak easyshare software to unload my camera from a party i had a while ago.

so basically, itunes i think is fine, and i know kodak is fine, whats wrong is quicktime is screwwing up. when i open it, it says that a buffer overflow or over run ( i dont remember the exact words) has occurred that has corrupted the internal state and cannot continure in a safe fashion.

what is going wrong with it? and how do i fix it? this computer is only a few months old (7 at most), and i run antispyware, antivirus, anti-everything imaginable on it, several times a week,  including one fulltime, realtime protection (mcafee suit). so i shouldn't have any viruses or spyware, and i know i don't have any cookies on it. it just stopped working all of a sudden a couple months ago, and now that i have class in a few days, im not going to have time to try to fix it, and ill be stuck without new music and videos for until my vacation in November (too long to go without music in my opinion). i do have an ipod, and i like the itunes interface unlike alot of people, but i don't understand how this happened or how to fix it. i know that apple could fix it with a patch but its been several months with no patch and i can't stand no music anymore. is this a common problem? i know it has to do with when i updated to the newest version of itunes (7.3.2) and quicktime (7.2), and if it is a wide spread issue, most of the users of itunes are windows based, and if its compatibility issues with windows, does apple realize that if they don't fix it soon that they are going to lose that many customers and users?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

i run antispyware, antivirus, anti-everything imaginable on it

Sounds like a problem

several times a week,  including one fulltime, realtime protection.

Yet more issues...

mcafee suit

oh dear, these are unfortunately common problems

Sounds like a problem

Yet more issues...

mcafee suit

are they easily curable problems? (note that i don't run more than one real time protection program at one time, i have the rest shut off, including the windows firewall as i have mcafee firewall).

You're ober-protecting it. Chill. A virus isn't going to come and destroy your computer.

Right, that said:

1) How does still being able to browse YouTube have any relevance to the problem? It's based on Adobe Flash.

2) Why does Kodak EasyShare require QuickTime to download your photos? Also you should be able to retrieve the photos without half a HDD full of crap software, I seem to remember being able to do so on my old Kodak.

...and now to the main course. Apple couldn't really care less about Windows users, the only reason they provide iTunes is so we will go buy stuff from the music store. As for the application itself, uninstall iTunes and QuickTime *completely* (including all registry entries) and reinstall the last version you know worked. 0.1 of a version won't make a huge difference and they'll probably fix it by the time iTunes 8 comes out...

i've uninstalled it completely several times, all registry values too, anything to do with the word "apple" or "itunes" or "quicktime", even tried rolling back the computer to 2 weeks previous of when the error occured. only one program is running protection at one time,  except when i download music and videos, in that case i scan the whole computer with several programs just to be sure that i didn't get any bugs. i didn't know that youtube was based on flash, i read somewhere it was based on quicktime? huh. well im glad it still works anyway.

kodak doesn't work because it uses quicktime for it's videos and to run the kodak program, and when i open kodak it gives the same error message as quicktime and itunes, that a buffer over run had occured in quicktime and it can't safely continue.

pretty sure i said i completely reinstalled it several times (13 times to be exact), and it still didn't work, and since the epp. you did about buffer overflows doesn't load for me, i figured someone on here must have seen it and could help me. i don't have anything to lose, really, except time, which is kind of at a premium for me now since i start class a week from today.

pretty sure i said i completely reinstalled it several times (13 times to be exact), and it still didn't work, and since the epp. you did about buffer overflows doesn't load for me, i figured someone on here must have seen it and could help me. i don't have anything to lose, really, except time, which is kind of at a premium for me now since i start class a week from today.

1) We're not in the show, Darren, Wess, Alli and guests are.

2) You can't fix a buffer overflow in a closed source application unless you what's causing it, where it is, and are able to write a patch to change the binary... and frankly I'd have to say it's out of the league of most people who've signed up to this forum. (Before you start saying "don't insult me", I said *most*).

3) half the time the error message isn't related to the problem, like MS Paint or Visual Basic's "Out Of Memory" error when really there's plenty of memory, it just fubar'd.

1) We're not in the show, Darren, Wess, Alli and guests are.

2) You can't fix a buffer overflow in a closed source application unless you what's causing it, where it is, and are able to write a patch to change the binary... and frankly I'd have to say it's out of the league of most people who've signed up to this forum. (Before you start saying "don't insult me", I said *most*).

3) half the time the error message isn't related to the problem, like MS Paint or Visual Basic's "Out Of Memory" error when really there's plenty of memory, it just fubar'd.

1) i know, i was just saying the epp you did, meaning hak5, not anyone specifically

2) i wouldn't say dont insult me, because i could care less if anyone insulted me, but i do agree, it is out of my reach atleast, as i know nothing about programming. but from what i understand, from what your telling me im pretty much fucked until apple releases a new version, if they ever get around to fixing whatever is happening (if it is in the software end)?

3) so there might not be anything wrong with the programs themselves, it might be something to do with the computer? that is understandable, but i don't think that's what is happening because it's always been protected from viruses, and never been damaged in anyway (as far as dropping, lightning strikes *powersurges*, static, etc.), but if it was a bug that is happening in windows, then that would be completely understandable.

Install windows on a VM, update it and then install quicktime. You will notice that it works. Do the same on your desktop PC, without fucking about installing 20 billion clean up programs.

i will try it on a vm, but i disagree about using the cleaning programs, as i ran them all yesterday and i got about 7 different bugs with each (not bugs, cookies and other stuff, not too threatening, but enough)

i didn't install anything special to clean itunes or anything, all i did was uninstall itunes , itunes updater, quicktime. restart, delete all registry values left over, restart, go into program files folder, delete all apple related folderes, restart, download new installer, install, restart. thats what many websites said to do to get it working and it still didn't work.

but honestly, maybe you should think about rewording your future responses on this site, people are more likely to take you seriously and accept your help and even help you, if you don't imply that they are morons because they are doing stuff wrong or doing unnecessary stuff, because maybe its wrong or unnecessary for you, but it isn't for them. the insulting or w/e doesn't bother me, but if people are looking for tech help then they just want to get tech help, they don't want to fight or have to go over the same thing over and over again, otherwise they would call over seas tech support (and no I'm not being racist or anything, not everyone understands accents as well as others, and most tech support is over seas. that's why they go to sites such as this one)

[3) so there might not be anything wrong with the programs themselves, it might be something to do with the computer? that is understandable, but i don't think that's what is happening because it's always been protected from viruses, and never been damaged in anyway (as far as dropping, lightning strikes *powersurges*, static, etc.), but if it was a bug that is happening in windows, then that would be completely understandable.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

You're paranoid about the health of your hardware. Don't be. It's confusing you, it's going to get in the way. STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE HARDWARE.

*exhales*

What I mean is the software might just be telling you that because it doesn't know what else to say. In some cases (but not this one most likely) it could be that a program can't find a file it needs, yet tells you it's out of memory. It wasn't really out of memory, it just couldn't find the file and decided not to tell you the real reason.

Could be the same here (but probably isn't, iTunes for Windows is full of bugs even now, post bugfixes).

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

You're paranoid about the health of your hardware. Don't be. It's confusing you, it's going to get in the way. STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE HARDWARE.

*exhales*

What I mean is the software might just be telling you that because it doesn't know what else to say. In some cases (but not this one most likely) it could be that a program can't find a file it needs, yet tells you it's out of memory. It wasn't really out of memory, it just couldn't find the file and decided not to tell you the real reason.

Could be the same here (but probably isn't, iTunes for Windows is full of bugs even now, post bugfixes).

ahhh. told you i might have misunderstood lol. so, correct me if im wrong, but, this may be happening because a) it cant find a file (i don't think thats the case either), or b) the problem IS in the software, but the program is coded to go to a default warning message?

Okay, heres the deal.  I've heard of other people having issue with that version of Itunes.  Here's the easy solution:

1) Go through and uninstall/remove all references to iTunes and Quicktime (don' forget to Run>%app data% and remove all folders in there)

2) Go to www.oldversion.com and get the version prior to the latest and install.  That should fix your problem

3) I'm not going to fault you for wanting to protect your machine.  A certain level of paranoia is a good thing.  With that said, running multiple system check programs can actually cause more harm then they do good.  Some of them try to eat each other, calling each other mal-ware.  Most of the time, thats done just so  you will go with one program or another, a way for them to sift out the competition.  You really should stick with one suite and roll with that.  Another good way to protect yourself is don't do anything to put yourself at risk.  If you use IE, set your internet security settings so that it prompts you for all ActiveX controls and maintain your "Trusted Sites" list.  Don't think that FireFox is the universal solve all for browser based exploits.  Since FF has been gaining so much popularity, it has become a target just like IE.  Mind where you go, and if you feel the need to go to some more shady locations on the web, run a VM and keep your shady surfing contained in there.  If it borks, who cares?  You keep a back up of a fresh install and just revert back to that.  It is my experience that hardware conflicts are rarely the cause of a software malfunction, so tat should really be your last course of thought.  If all else fails, theres always the old M$ administrator song.....Fdisk, Format, Re-install...doo dah, doo dah......

Hope this helps,

--Wess

i will try it on a vm, but i disagree about using the cleaning programs, as i ran them all yesterday and i got about 7 different bugs with each (not bugs, cookies and other stuff, not too threatening, but enough)

How do you manage to get all this shit on your computer? Do you even know what half those programs do? Your like a guy with a broken leg who does nothing but eat painkillers instead of getting the leg set. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

i didn't install anything special to clean itunes or anything, all i did was uninstall itunes , itunes updater, quicktime. restart, delete all registry values left over, restart, go into program files folder, delete all apple related folderes, restart, download new installer, install, restart. thats what many websites said to do to get it working and it still didn't work.

Hold on, I thought you'd reinstalled windows 13 times already? Which one was it? If your wandering around your OS randomly deleting bits and pieces then your bound to have problems. Start again with a fresh install of Windows.

but honestly, maybe you should think about rewording your future responses on this site, people are more likely to take you seriously and accept your help and even help you, if you don't imply that they are morons because they are doing stuff wrong or doing unnecessary stuff, because maybe its wrong or unnecessary for you, but it isn't for them. the insulting or w/e doesn't bother me, but if people are looking for tech help then they just want to get tech help, they don't want to fight or have to go over the same thing over and over again, otherwise they would call over seas tech support (and no I'm not being racist or anything, not everyone understands accents as well as others, and most tech support is over seas. that's why they go to sites such as this one)

I follow the Dr. Cox (a la Scrubs) school of education: You learn faster if your forced to deal with your mistakes.

Sounds like a problem

Yet more issues...

mcafee suit

Since me and you are proud Linux users... his problem is not running Linux. Back on topic... all I can really add is that you are really... how shall we say... congesting up your PC with all of these useless program. Especially running multiple AV's (pointing to Zone Alarm) can really turn your Windows machine in to a nut, take that from experience.

Sounds like a problem

Yet more issues...

mcafee suit

Since me and you are proud Linux users... his problem is not running Linux. Back on topic... all I can really add is that you are really... how shall we say... congesting up your PC with all of these useless program. Especially running multiple AV's (pointing to Zone Alarm) can really turn your Windows machine in to a nut, take that from experience.

http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants.../bsd4linux1.php

How do you manage to get all this shit on your computer? Do you even know what half those programs do? Your like a guy with a broken leg who does nothing but eat painkillers instead of getting the leg set. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Hold on, I thought you'd reinstalled windows 13 times already? Which one was it? If your wandering around your OS randomly deleting bits and pieces then your bound to have problems. Start again with a fresh install of Windows.

I follow the Dr. Cox (a la Scrubs) school of education: You learn faster if your forced to deal with your mistakes.

well, that computer is used by id say atleast 7 people, and is online atleast 20 hours aday with SOMEONE using it, so its bound to have some stuff on it. no, i reinstalled itunes and quicktime 13 times, and windows once. but props for learning from scrubs, i wish everyone watched that show and applied it to real life, because there is actually a lot of truth in it.

Okay, heres the deal.  I've heard of other people having issue with that version of Itunes.  Here's the easy solution:

1) Go through and uninstall/remove all references to iTunes and Quicktime (don' forget to Run>%app data% and remove all folders in there)

2) Go to www.oldversion.com and get the version prior to the latest and install.  That should fix your problem

3) I'm not going to fault you for wanting to protect your machine.  A certain level of paranoia is a good thing.  With that said, running multiple system check programs can actually cause more harm then they do good.  Some of them try to eat each other, calling each other mal-ware.  Most of the time, thats done just so  you will go with one program or another, a way for them to sift out the competition.  You really should stick with one suite and roll with that.  Another good way to protect yourself is don't do anything to put yourself at risk.  If you use IE, set your internet security settings so that it prompts you for all ActiveX controls and maintain your "Trusted Sites" list.  Don't think that FireFox is the universal solve all for browser based exploits.  Since FF has been gaining so much popularity, it has become a target just like IE.  Mind where you go, and if you feel the need to go to some more shady locations on the web, run a VM and keep your shady surfing contained in there.  If it borks, who cares?  You keep a back up of a fresh install and just revert back to that.  It is my experience that hardware conflicts are rarely the cause of a software malfunction, so tat should really be your last course of thought.  If all else fails, theres always the old M$ administrator song.....Fdisk, Format, Re-install...doo dah, doo dah......

Hope this helps,

--Wess

will do. as far as the multiple a/v stuff, i only have one that is active and a couple spyware stuff, but i have all the programs set up on my computer to accept all other programs currently on my computer (when i add a new program i go through and allow it with each program i have), but i really only use mcafee and spybot. really the only stuff that is accessed on that computer is email (nothing downloaded), bill paying sites, my bank account site, and youtube (sometimes keepvid.com if i want to download youtube videos), but other then thos evideos nothing is downloaded on it. but i do have mcafee site advisor on it, and i check before i go to new sites to see if they are ok. if i download anything i use an old laptop i got for 20 bucks from a guy i work with, its trash anyway so i don't really care if it gets messed up.

Sounds like a problem

Yet more issues...

mcafee suit

"BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC."

:lol:

Sounds like a problem

Yet more issues...

mcafee suit

"BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC."

:lol:

Linux isn't Unix.

oh dear.... what a way to start a flame war!  I'll say this one time and one time only.  Don't ask for help if you aren't going to take the advice and/or if you are going to lie about what steps you did to get there.

is this towards me? because i didn't lie, i did uninstall and reinstall 13 times ( i stopped at 13 because 13 is usually my lucky number). but i did take advice, i took several peoples advice (i may be wrong with the names, but i think wess, maybe vako, maybe moonlit, and someone else offered some advice and i did what they said, all except wess' advice so far, but i havn't goten to it yet, i took them in order of least invasive of the files on my computer) i am curious as to what made you think i lied, because i don't lie, i find liars very cowardly and untrustworthy.