File System

teh_coder

I'm working with about 3 USB hard drives everyday, I use Windows And Linux (I don;t have admin rights all the time), So I want to know what File System I should use.  I can't use FAT32, I have files that are around 10GB+, I've started to use NTFS it seems to be the only thing that windows can read with out special software and all the Linux systems I use I own so I can add the ntfs-3g software.  But what do you think?

So there isn't another reason for a anti-competitive monopoly lawsuit?

They don't actively have to build in functionality - that would be the stupidest thing ever. If they purposefully tried to take measures to prevent other OSes from implementing NTFS then that might be anti-competitive. It would be nice if they could support other file systems, but it doesn't really bring much benefit to them, so I don't see it happening.

This is mostly a stupid idea, but an idea.  Why don't we (The Hak.5 Community) Make a filesystem for USB disks, base it around like ext3 or reiserfs and call it "HAKFS".  We could most likely do it, we already have the idea, and a lot programmers.  Let me know if this idea is just to stupid.

This is mostly a stupid idea, but an idea.  Why don't we (The Hak.5 Community) Make a filesystem for USB disks, base it around like ext3 or reiserfs and call it "HAKFS".  We could most likely do it, we already have the idea, and a lot programmers.  Let me know if this idea is just to stupid.

Yes, that is to stupid.

Yes. Very stupid.

I was more thinking along the lines of using some on-line archiving solution. Something like a TrueCrypt archive that could span multiple disks. I have no idea if they support this or if it would be in any way, shape or form usable, but I think this is where your only alternative should be sought.