Streaming video question

unasoto

I have a project I want to do and need some advice/opinion. Don't say go google it. my goal is to be able to watch TV from work I have a ati radeon 7500 all in wounder in my desktop. what I'm looking for is software that will stream audio and video from my desktop to the internet. most of the software I've found only does a couple frames per second. :( I'm hoping for inexpensive or opensource. what do you use/recommend or not recommend?

Set up MythTV to record it. If the MythTV protocol doesn't work well with streaming over the interwebs, use the stored files as a starting point for VLC streaming or even Icecast.

• 2 weeks later...

ok I checked out VLC that was great I didn't know it was server side also. I already had it and it will record from my capture card but not stream live. :( the whole point is so that I can watch TV live from remote pc. I have 6 or 8 progs that will record thats not the problem its the live part? :(

Why won't it stream live? Presumably you have Stream/Save ticked and in settings you have selected one of the streaming output, what output are you using? Are you transcoding the video/audio? What encapsulation method? What are you trying to receive the stream with?

Hey thanks VaKo I'll look into this :) the directshow :) everything else is linux and I'm not yet ready to convert my desktop to linux I have to many win games :) however I have just installed Debian Etch 2.6.18 on my duel boot laptop and made progress on getting my wifi working I think it will really work this time :) lol

The instructions on that page do exactly the same thing as you can do from the VLC GUI, so if it didn't work when you tried to set up a stream through the GUI I don't think trying the same thing but through the command line will do much (assuming you had the same settings on the GUI).