MIT

film

Oxford isn't the best university for technology in the UK, Imperial College London is. MIT is usually rated top in the world, with UC Berkley, IIT (Indian Institutes of Technology) and Imperial usually coming somewhere after.

MIT is the top engineering college in the US. It lies in Boston, Massachusetts. It's damn expensive though. Not to mention the prices of resturants, housing and such around it. X_X The average GPA they take into the campus is a 3.9... Very smart group of people, but $50,000 a year is pricy :shock:

I am applying to go there. I'll probably make it. Problem is, I can't go unless I get funding :cry:

Check it out:

http://www.mit.edu/

MIT is the top engineering college in the US. It lies in Boston, Massachusetts. It's damn expensive though. Not to mention the prices of resturants, housing and such around it. X_X The average GPA they take into the campus is a 3.9... Very smart group of people, but $50,000 a year is pricy :shock:

I am applying to go there. I'll probably make it. Problem is, I can't go unless I get funding :cry:

Check it out:

They offer scholarships if your well above average. A number of government agencies,such as the CIA and NSA also offer scholarships.

Da... That's what I'm trying for. I just got accepted into the National Honors Society today, whatever the hell that is :roll:

If I can't get enough cash for there, I'm going to Carnegie, Perdue, or University of Illinois (Forget which branch).

Check it out:

They offer scholarships if your well above average. A number of government agencies,such as the CIA and NSA also offer scholarships.

you forgot one FBI ;)

Caltech is a much smaller school and harder to get into than MIT. As far as academics, they might have a slight edge over MIT. They also host NASA JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab) which is really cool.

Still I didn't apply to Caltech because I want to be on a larger campus with not as many socially impaired people around.

Well... MIT is the #1 engineering college in the United States. That encompasses electronic, mechanical, biological, whatever. Caltech is close behind being #4. It's a good choice if you live on the west coastish area. Basically, there's two of the best engineering colleges on either end of America.

Well that's the reason MIT is only my #4 choice, behind Stanford, Yale, and Dartmouth in that order.

Good choice... Stanford is actually number 2. Yale is 38th. But I don't know what major you're going for. As for me. I'm going for electronics engineering so I can develop AI software =D

Well I'm thinking about a Computer Science major but Yale has a really nice campus and I have a really good friend there who's a freshman, so that made it number 2. Stanford's totally my dream though, even though I got deferred in early action I still have a chance.

Dartmouth has their own ski slope.

I always thought Caltech was rated higher than MIT for some reason, I guess not though.

Nah... MIT pwns :) They have nice undergrad programs, but still... It's still an issue of money O_o

I can see having friends at colleges. I'd rather learn though, because knowledge is power and I can use it to take over the world. I'll go to a good college to start, then get some cash and attend MIT, that's my plan. Can't forget world domination though

Nah... MIT pwns :) They have nice undergrad programs, but still... It's still an issue of money O_o

I can see having friends at colleges. I'd rather learn though, because knowledge is power and I can use it to take over the world. I'll go to a good college to start, then get some cash and attend MIT, that's my plan. Can't forget world domination though

haha.

My feeling is that education is second to the life and social experiences gained in college.

Hmmm... Common thought.

I believe education should be first, because it what drives you more to success. Social aspects bring you to the right people, but talking educated is important. What's the use of spending large amounts of money on education if you don't use it anyway? Might as well be remembered through people when your life comes to an end, instead of a faultless memory to your friends and family. That's why you take over the world. You'll be remembered by all, and you will live for eternity.

I'm not trying to undermine the importance of education but it doesn't always lead to success. One of my friend's dad is the VP of Marketing at AMEX even though he went to ruddy old local Iona College (the inside joke where I live is that Iona stands for Idiots On North Avenue), he knew the right people and had a ton of practical knowledge.

For me to be happy, I need to be equally intellectually and socially satisfied. If I upset this balance, by either becoming totally absorbed in my work and neglecting the real world or by becoming a total party animal and putting my good mind to waste, then I feel something is lacking in my life and I become unhappy.

Regardless, I completely understand your point of view because I used think quite similarly. (not to say that that point of view is wrong or old thinking, I've simply changed)

just my thoughts.

The one thing that freaks me out about MIT is all the crazy advanced stuff that comes out of that school. I mean, there is no way anything that comes out of MIT would come out of any college in Brooklyn or Manhattan. I had an cousin that went there in the 80's and whenever I bring up MIT he always talks about the studying and all the pressure they put on the students. But I guess it works because of all the brilliant minds that have come out of that school.

Caltech is a much smaller school and harder to get into than MIT. As far as academics, they might have a slight edge over MIT. They also host NASA JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab) which is really cool.

Still I didn't apply to Caltech because I want to be on a larger campus with not as many socially impaired people around.

MIT is larger and has more socially impaired people. :) the % of socially impaired people that go to both these schools is about the same 99.9% so a larger school means?

Oxford isn't the best university for technology in the UK, Imperial College London is.

Queens in Belfast .. THX was designed there .. along with engery sources from the tides

MIT is larger and has more socially impaired people. :) the % of socially impaired people that go to both these schools is about the same 99.9% so a larger school means?

haha, but MIT does have frats, so there are some normal people.

My parents wont dont want me to go to any college outside of the state of Michigan (where I live). And even though i have a 3.9ish GPA (I'm still a Sophomore so I have time to decide) I wont end up having Calculus as a Senior. Do you think I could still be accepted into MIT or UC Berkley?