How do you watch IPTV?

moonlit

How does everyone watch their IPTV stuff?

Media for me goes very simply from my regular PC to my TV via my GeForce 5200FX's S-Video out and the audio comes from my Technics stack - I used to have 4ch surround using my (very very) old Sony amp and bookshelf speakers providing the rear 2 channels...

I played with controlling it all using a OneForAll IR remote, but gave up with the IR receiver I had so I now use my Saitek P2500 USB game controller and it's 'programming' software to map to keyboard keys which controls WinAmp, although I now use VLC and haven't configured the controlling stuff yet, so I just start the vid/playlist playing and turn off my monitor...

I was in the process of making a media centre in a dead DVD player's case but that's kinda on hold because I don't feel like feeding it money at the mo :D

Your turn...

@melodic:

6.1... *drools*

@TheZ:

that's pretty cool, and I'd prolly do the same but even though I just got me a lappy and wireless equipped it, it's stuggling a little with it's PII233... :D

It didn't like Win2k much... which, by the way, sucks @233MHz w/32MB RAM...

My main server (OpenBSD) automatically downloads all my show’s IPTV and TV shows (torrents) so that I can access them using any of my boxes or from my Xbox or Game Cube's if I want to watch it on TV or most of the time from my HP Compaq t5525 Thin Client in my kitchen when I’m having breakfast.

Getting back on topic:

I've got a bookmarked tab set in Firefox which opens all my fav. show's websites. From there I download them to whichever drive has free space at the moment and watch. Then I either leave the file there to be deleted when I run out of room next, or if it's on my desktop clean it off within the next few days. I used to archive them but DV footage is huge and takes priority on my HDDs.

Getting back on topic:

I've got a bookmarked tab set in Firefox which opens all my fav. show's websites. From there I download them to whichever drive has free space at the moment and watch. Then I either leave the file there to be deleted when I run out of room next, or if it's on my desktop clean it off within the next few days. I used to archive them but DV footage is huge and takes priority on my HDDs.

13gb for a hour of dv footage?

I project it on my celling and lay in bed wanking. Works great.

:roll: lovly vako :D

yes, indeed... but never to Hak.5.. <shudder>... kid you have to much spare time..

i have 2weeks off (ending of second week) for easter :S load of shit if u ask me

Getting back on topic:

I must say I'm a little surprised you don't use one of the many podcast management programs.

I personally use Fireant and watch vidcasts on my laptop (mostly just from my desk at home).

Audio podcasts I usually throw onto my CLIE (NX70) and listen while travelling to and from school. I would do that with iptv too, but it's a PitA to reencode, so I enjoy it at home. :)

I'm going to be getting a Palm TX soon, which should be better for vidz on the go.

I gotta say I'm not all that keen on management utils for vidcasts... I do use iTunes for my regular audio podcasts which dumps them right to my MP3 player (lazy, so lazy...) but for video I just use iTunes for 'casts that are available and good ol' websites for those that aren't :D

Edit: Note to sentinel: I <3 CANADA!

I guess this is kinda off topic, but since we're on the subject of Canada...

I went last yeah and man was it great! Seriously, the scenery (I went to Castlegar, BC) was simply awesome! Just... gah! I don't even have words for it - just... wow! The people were cool, and so much more accepting that us Brits (though it could've been the accent ;)) ... and 7eleven!! 7eleven RULES! DOUBLE GULP!

*cough*

Yeah, seriously though, I recommend going there - it's... well the scenery is breathtaking, the people are cool, the fact that you drive on the wrong ... err ... right side of the road and... well... it's just great! That accent! w00t!

Want to drive to Canada, too. But it costs to much :(

Last year I were in Florida. It's very nice, too.

@moonlit: in your opinion everyone (without Australia and GB) drives on the false side of the street. :lol: :roll:

Yes, Canada does rock.

As for me not using podcatchers, I guess I'm just oldschool and like the manual control of my media. I've got RSS feeds but honestly I enjoy just checking out my fav. websites and downloading the shows on my schedule. eh?

i do the same :D

Yes, Canada does rock.

As for me not using podcatchers, I guess I'm just oldschool and like the manual control of my media. I've got RSS feeds but honestly I enjoy just checking out my fav. websites and downloading the shows on my schedule. eh?

Yeah, good point. I use Fireant to get everything, but I usually pop by twit.tv, dl.tv, hak5.org, etc, while I'm out browsing just to see what's up.

Yeah I agree with Darren about being a little oldschool aboot it... it's nicer, I think to go to the page/site and read and view pictures and leisurely download the cast... much nicer that way!

@lama: yeah, that's us Brits for ya, eh? ;)

Edit: *considers making a weekly schedule, tv-listings style of all the cool vidcast/podcast stuff he can find - one lot for 'radio', one lot for 'tv'... then have the TV hooked to the TV out, the radio hooked to the audio out and et viola! never have to use the real media again! 24/7 cool stuff! maybe Darren wasn't dreaming... maybe we can have several hundred channels of cool stuff :D*