Best Security Set up?

Mr Andrewson

I'm might be tempting fate here but I only use the built in firewall and common sense, no active antivirus or antispyware. When I really really need to scan anything I use clamav in cygwin.

To be completely fair I also use a virtual machine for testing things I don't trust or don't expect to keep for an extended period of time.

I'm might be tempting fate here but I only use the built in firewall and common sense, no active antivirus or antispyware. When I really really need to scan anything I use clamav in cygwin.

That's exactly what I do, except I have AVG running all the time (this is on the laptop I take places and connect to untrusted networks with). I also run TeaTimer on administrator accounts so any thing that does manage to get past AVG then has to get past me (via TeaTimer). It's also nice for stopping program's I'm installing doing stuff I don't want. Say (for example) adding unnecessary stuff to startup list and messing up my file associations.

lol im the first to post about using commerical AV's and Firewalls :S

Firewall: Zone Alarm (normaly, not atm coz the compainie hasnt updated licence to 7)

AntiVirus: Kaspersky

Spyware: Ad-Aware

also we run (for ther hell of it)

Window Washer (cleans temp files, and stored passwords)

Nod32 (if the machien is slower and Kaspersky is pushing it)

I haven't used any of those things in ages (besides AVG if it's a machine I'll be playing with decidedly dodgy code) but when I do (or did), there are/were what I used:

Firewall - ZoneAlarm

Antivirus - AVG Free

Malware - AdAware

Generally though if you use common sense and don't screw around with weird new screensavers people send you and click on links to what's supposed to be a picture of you that someone sent you via MSN, you're probably fine.

Firewall: OpenBSD

Anti-Virus: OpenBSD Mail Server (Postfix) with Kaspersky

Malware: OpenBSD - Avira Antivirus Server

And any others you like: OpenBSD - Squid Web Proxy Cache, Snort

Use the above and you can keep you Windows box clean of bloated shit.

I haven't used any of those things in ages (besides AVG if it's a machine I'll be playing with decidedly dodgy code) but when I do (or did), there are/were what I used:

Firewall - ZoneAlarm

Antivirus - AVG Free

Malware - AdAware

Generally though if you use common sense and don't screw around with weird new screensavers people send you and click on links to what's supposed to be a picture of you that someone sent you via MSN, you're probably fine.

I run exactly the same on my laptop but my wife uses built in firewall on home PC

One thing I noticed is no one mentioned any hardware firewalls or routers.

Get a decent, and secured router(Change that damn default password!!) and add something like ZoneAlarm pro (Not free version), along with AVG and you should be pretty good. This does not protect you from installing anything you downloaded, but ZoneAlarm SUITE (configured properly) will usually catch anything trying to install, add to the registry as well as change your hosts file, startup programs, and email software, or use of your internet connection.

The version I have uses SpamBlocker, Anti-viirus and Anti-Spyware built in.

Ad-aware and AVG are a good alternative to the Zone Alarm virus and spyware. Its best to have more than one backup, but you don't need them all on at the same time, just schedule the scans and let zone alarms run all the time.

Also, disable windows firewall and uPnp, the server service, internet and connection sharing service (ICS), remote registry service, msn messenger service, remote desktop service, and computer browser service. These are not needed, and if you want to share files over a home network, you only need Server, Browser, and ICS services running.

Oh, and windows defender(if you downloaded it or are running Vista) There is a patch out for Defender, but I still don't trust the bugger.

Has anyone noticed this in ZA7?

za7.jpg

That's 42.6875 megs or ram. not to mention the IO when atctive.

It seems to eat a lot of memory. It only shows up when you have the Anti-Virus and Spyware enabled. Once you turn it off, it still runs until you restart Zone Alarm, and you cant kill the process unless you close zone alarm completely. Seems like a bug that it would not kill the process even after you disable them from the control panel, but once you refresh zone alarm, they will not reappear(unless you click yes to restart antivirus and anti spyware).

I would have hoped for a smaller footprint since Zone Alarm itself already eats up a lot of cpu and memory. I think I'll switch back to 6.5 until they get something better set up...

I just don’t like running any kind of resource hungry software that is not work related on Windows boxes. I would sooner setup a hand full of servers to deal with all the shit that comes with using Windows.

You can easily get hold of old computers for free so there is no real reason not to do it (other then the power usage and heat produced).