Product buyback?

Bob123

You know I'm just going to throw this out there.  I know no one will go for it and I'm sure I'll really be on the naughty list after this but Hak5 what would you think about a buy back program?  We buy items at full price and then get the option to sell them back and get say 50% back?  I'm just thinking of all the latest threads on the forums that have been nothing but concerns over what works and what doesn't.  A lot of people (myself included) have spent tons of money on these items and they just sit around for one reason or another.  And for example mine are in mint condition, you buy them back, I get 50% of what I spent back on them, and then you can turn around and sell them at full price and make even more $$$.  Just a thought.

Ouch, a pretty tough question.

Here's my 2C on that.

I can see why H5 wont go for it, for one. It isn't the makers problem if the users / customers have a hard time getting it to work. They provide a hardware platform with a modified OS nothing else. They do provide docs, and try do do support as promised, which is cool. But again. When it comes to getting exploits / scripts to work, thats on "us".

It can be a veery bad thing for the buttom line in your books to offer a "Buy back" solution. When do you decide when to buy back ?, from who do you decide to buy back, in what condition ?

I have a few things from H5, usually the things I cant get somewhere else, or what suits my projects. I agree they are expensive, but then again, custom gear always is.

What matters for me is, I can get a skeleton hardware platform, and a starter OS made for pentesting. If I had to do it myself, starting from scratch, I would be so much more expensive in time and much more frustrating. This is what I pay for, when I buy custom. In that way, H5 haven't failed me one bit.
If i have the patience and skills to make it work, it does. As I see it, that's what matters :)

Okay, that's my 2C. Beatings welcome (as long as they're verbal ) :D

/Kent

It's understandable how recent issues caused by the firmware updates would make someone feel like that is a reasonable idea.  But in practice it is not.  As for the issue with the wifi pineapple, it is not really at the fault of Hak5.  As discussed by @Foxtrot, other users, and myself the problem is community modules that are in need of updates to be compatible with 2.6.x firmware.  These modules are made by third party users and must be maintained by them to continue working over time as firmware updates are released.  As for some of the newer devices you can expect some issues as bugs are being worked out of the firmware/payloads.  Community (third party) modules and payloads are not part of what you are buying but should be viewed as bonus of owning the device.  

On the business side of things it would be a very messy process for practice and books.  It is not fair to users paying new price to receive refurbished products.  Then the problem of how much to pay to satisfy the previous owner as well as handling shipping of devices back.  And when it comes to the books, I feel sorry for the person that has to keep it all square.  The simple answer is someone not wanting to own the device anymore should sell it privately.

Some of this is just my opinion.  The best thing moving forward is an active community to further the functionality of devices!

19 hours ago, Kentj said:

Beatings welcome (as long as they're verbal ) 😄

No beatings necessary Kentj.  What you said makes perfect sense.  Just my frustrations with the direction this forums and Hak5 have taken.  This used to be a fun place.  We used to learn together.  They used to make videos that were a lot of fun to watch.  Now it is just more of a complaint center then anything else.  And it's difficult for me because I want to help and I feel that I can't.  So in my mind why have these tools if I can't help anyone with them.  That's all.  I'm done complaining.

Archived