How would I do this?

VaKo

I have a dynamic domain pointed at my broadband connection, which lets me easily access my computers. At the moment I'm doing it via port forwarding which means I have to decide what ports on what machines I want to use. What I would like to do, is be able to talk to each machine by its host name and the domain name.

Example:

I have 2 machines I want to do this to, along with others I don't want to do this with.

Eco on 10.0.5.101

Bia on 10.0.5.102

To reach each one of these computers remotely I want to be able to do this:

eco.mydomain.com

bia.mydomain.com

My router (DD-WRT) has the option to map a domain to my network, so internally I have eco.koa-ti, but I was wondering if I could use eco.mydomain.com for external access? Its not worked before, which leads me to suggest that I need to run a name server somewhere. I only have 1 IP, so I can add a bunch of extra A records for the different machines...

Ye, I think for shit like that you need a public IP address per hostname. Well, it does work if you use virtual hosts of Apache, so perhaps not, but then of course, these virtual hosts all use one IP address both internally and externally... I'm not sure :P

This works with web traffic only.

Install apache on the main machine which port 80 is forwarding to.

Set it up with virtual hosts based on domain name.

Each virtual host will use the Proxy element to send the request on to whatever IP you want on the internal network.

Extremely confused on what exactly you're trying to accomplish here. I think you're looking to do a remote desktop connection to 2 separate machines based on a dyndns name.

Regardless, you're on the right track with a VPN. Since it looks like you have a spare box you could throw at this task check out m0n0wall (m0n0.ch) or pfSense (pfSense.com). These are both open source firewall projects that will let you take an old beater machine and turn it into a pretty robust firewall. From there you can configure a variety of different types of VPN's. The easiest (and least secure) being PPTP which will let you set up a quick connection on any windows box and gain complete access to any of the resources inside your network.

Good luck.

I'm very confused here. Sounds like you want to make your two machines subdomain oof of your router accessable from anywhere. I have no idea how to accomplish this, since I think the "mydomain" thing is just an example. But hay, if you figure it out, share it wth us (hin hint, analog.5 hint, hing)

Sparda,

Then yea, to my knowledge the only service thats going to let you manipulate traffic based on a hostname is http, this simply because of the interaction the browser maintains with the server. Once DNS has resolved the IP of a particular host name the machines communicate strictly based on their IP addresses and have no knowledge of the hostname used to initially retrieve the IP. So...I still think VPN is the way to go here. If not, i think we're gunna need more information on just what exactly he's trying to do here, ie what services he's trying to port through his firewall.

The main idea is that I want to run what ever I want to, ftp, http, ssh etc on the default ports of seperate machines behind a NAT on a crappy 4MB cable connection with a single IP. I know that I can forward the ports off, and use non-standard ports to have 2 of the same service on the one IP, and I knew of the virtual host function in apache. I just wondered if there was a clever little trick I could do that would allow the usage of my machines host names and my dynDNS domain name to talk to each machine separately. At the moment I just SSH into my router, and then into the machine I want to talk to.

my router lets me do that, i have that at home, my brother set it up he said something about dyndns and router comunicating with it if u have a dynamic ip, there are lots of dyndns services, but in your case no-ip will be a better solution to use rather than dyn dns, this is because it will allow you to use a non port 80 adress and you can specify the url to be single withough :8989 extention http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/...ynamic_dns.html

You say that, but then look at virtual hosts on Apache. You can use lots of different host names that all point at hte same IP address yet Apache manages to work out which host name was used and respond with a different page depending on which host name was used.

You say that, but then look at virtual hosts on Apache. You can use lots of different host names that all point at hte same IP address yet Apache manages to work out which host name was used and respond with a different page depending on which host name was used.

That's because the HTTP procol allows a client to request that particular bit of information in its request. Pretty much all other protocols don't have any provisions for this.