Basic question on power

geoffwhite

34 minutes ago, geoffwhite said:

Now I'm confused. So both USB plugs provide power, but do either/both of them also provide data to the Nano?
(Basically in an ideal world I don't want to have to plug the Nano into my laptop as I'm restricted on number of USB ports)
Thanks!

USB spec is 500ma per port.  A lot of hubs/PCs offer 1000ma (1 amp). Sometimes even more.

The y cable allows you to double the power given to the Nano.

I've used in a pinch in the past, the fatter plug into the PC, and a USB battery pack for the supplement power.

I was confused on this also, as there is no basic setup instruction, just a couple of out date quick (84 seconds) videos. Don't blink and you will see the proper physical power setup in the Linux video.

I got a USB 2.0 hub. This may be just a cheat and not really supply the true power consumption that is require. I have no other option, there only two USB connections on opposite sides of the notebook I use. It appears to work.

The included Y-cable has three ends. A female end, where the NANO is plugged into, and two male ends. One of them is the larger one. That's the main end, and should go into your computer. If you need to provide extra power, you can plug the smaller male plug into another port on your computer, a battery pack, or into a wall wart.

There is really nothing much to it. Both male plugs provide power, but only the main male plug provides data.

Sebkinne, you statement is confusing. How do I know if I need extra power?

In the brief video on installing the Pineapple for Linux, it shows both connected with no explanation. So it appears the proper configuration is to have both female on the Y-cable plug in.

If the Nano is only being used, is this configuration OVER powering the device? Can you over power the device using the Y-cable (excluding using improper/non-standard USB power rating of course)? Is this the cause of over heating?

4 hours ago, Forbin said:

Sebkinne, you statement is confusing. How do I know if I need extra power?

In the brief video on installing the Pineapple for Linux, it shows both connected with no explanation. So it appears the proper configuration is to have both female on the Y-cable plug in.

If the Nano is only being used, is this configuration OVER powering the device? Can you over power the device using the Y-cable (excluding using improper/non-standard USB power rating of course)? Is this the cause of over heating?

You should use the Y-Cable at all times. Whether you have something plugged into the NANO or not, as many laptops cannot provide enough power through 1 USB port. Using the Y-Cable "fully" with both male ends plugged into a laptop etc, and the female end plugged into the NANO is fine - regardless of whether accessories are connected or not.