Tetra Vs Mark V

pokypoky

Here's why I ask - the 16DBI yagi antenna looks very cool.  I've been reading about Yagi, but I also know there are trade-offs about there usage.  Anyway, the shop says: "This 2.4GHz 16dBi Yagi antenna features an SMA connector for use with the WiFi Pineapple Mark V."  So, will it work with the Tetra?  Does Tetra have SMA connectors?  And regarding the Tetra, I see the two antenna on each side, so maybe the Tetra is not ideally suited for the Yagi?  I suppose there are two WiFi adapters with two antennae each.  I'd like to understand the issues better before I make a purchase.

3 hours ago, pokypoky said:

Looking at the online options to purchase a Pineapple WiFi router at http://hakshop.myshopify.com/  it seems Tetra is pretty nice for my needs; however, I found some online Mark V tutorials.  What's current?  Is it safe to say Tetra is the way to go for now, based on what's available at the shop?

The Mark V is old and EOL hardware.

19 hours ago, pokypoky said:

Here's why I ask - the 16DBI yagi antenna looks very cool.  I've been reading about Yagi, but I also know there are trade-offs about there usage.  Anyway, the shop says: "This 2.4GHz 16dBi Yagi antenna features an SMA connector for use with the WiFi Pineapple Mark V."  So, will it work with the Tetra?  Does Tetra have SMA connectors?  And regarding the Tetra, I see the two antenna on each side, so maybe the Tetra is not ideally suited for the Yagi?  I suppose there are two WiFi adapters with two antennae each.  I'd like to understand the issues better before I make a purchase.

The tetra does have SMA connectors (the nano has rp-sma though).  The tetra also has amps built into it, so it would be the best for long distance.  Using a yagi from the hackshop works just as expected with the trade-offs, I've had 4 connected to the tetra once or twice.  It won't work well for 5ghz stuff though. I'm not sure if you need two per adapter or if you can get away with just one, but I would guess it only adds more strength and direction if you add the second one.

Okay, sounds great.  You're reply addresses my initial questions...mostly.  I thought it was SMA, but wanted to be sure.  I'm going to buy a Tetra with a Yagi for starters.  Since I've been study lots of Linux and embedded Linux, WiFi, captive portals, etc, it shouldn't really be too rough for me.  I can do wireless with without network-manager very easily...and have automatic lots of manual WiFi configurations using bash scripts.  I would even like to download the tarballs available and burn my own platform, but it's probably better just to start with a Tetra.  Thank you for the input.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont do it. dont waste your money. read the forums.... issue after issue with literally all modules. my tetra sits on a shelf because It wont do what they said it would do. I figured I would go with one of the simple modules like WPS.. yea right no such luck. ive not found anyone on the forums who has posted that it works for them. what does that tell you? I regret wasting 230$. my trusty ol laptop with wifislax n tools works EVERYTIME. what a waste. of course i could sell mine, but how could I screw someone like that?

2 hours ago, hextor said:

Dont do it. dont waste your money. read the forums.... issue after issue with literally all modules. my tetra sits on a shelf because It wont do what they said it would do. I figured I would go with one of the simple modules like WPS.. yea right no such luck. ive not found anyone on the forums who has posted that it works for them. what does that tell you? I regret wasting 230$. my trusty ol laptop with wifislax n tools works EVERYTIME. what a waste. of course i could sell mine, but how could I screw someone like that?

You have copy/pasted the same FALSE statements. If you continue to do so you will receive a PM from me.

Read the reply to the same comment on another thread: 

• Upvote 1