What linux?

Boo51799

I think he means what linux for his laptop that he's attaching the NANO to sud0nick. My mind went the same way as yours at first "What's he mean, get the right linux to make it run smoother? What could be smoother than openwrt?". Now that I re-read it, I believe he's talking about desktop/laptop distros.

If that is the case Boo51799, most any modern distro is good - its of course all about your preferences. If you're inexperienced with linux and haven't established these preferences (as I assume you are), ubuntu desktop is a good place to start. Mint is also a very nice looking one, based off of ubuntu. Ubuntu is great because its very popular and well supported.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Hope this helps

telot

• Upvote 1

I think he means what linux for his laptop that he's attaching the NANO to sud0nick. My mind went the same way as yours at first "What's he mean, get the right linux to make it run smoother? What could be smoother than openwrt?". Now that I re-read it, I believe he's talking about desktop/laptop distros.

I get that. My response remains the same because your desktop distro has nothing to do with how "smooth" the Pineapple operates. Maybe he's just looking for which distro he should use for general pentesting but again that has nothing to do with the Pineapple.

• Upvote 1

What do you mean run smoother? Is the Pineapple not working as you think it should? If so, that has nothing to do with your OS. At most it might have something to do with your browser but still not likely unless if you are trying to use IE.

No its working to a point i cannot get it to connect to wifi because of the commands i need to do. I was just wondering what is a good linux to use with the pineapple to make it easy to do the commands.

Edited by Boo51799

Linux "commands" (usually bash) are the same regardless of what Linux distribution you choose. Saying that, bash is in fact on the WiFi Pineapple so the commands are the same there. That said if you're new to Linux I also vote for Ubuntu as you'll find the most community support on that front.

What do you mean by the following statement?

No its working to a point i cannot get it to connect to wifi because of the commands i need to do.

• Upvote 1

Linux "commands" (usually bash) are the same regardless of what Linux distribution you choose. Saying that, bash is in fact on the WiFi Pineapple so the commands are the same there. That said if you're new to Linux I also vote for Ubuntu as you'll find the most community support on that front.

What do you mean by the following statement?

I meant that i can set up the pineapple but i just cant do the commands to get it connected to internet.

Does it connect if you tether via your phone?,

AFAIK there are no drivers included in the pineapple for external WIFI cards, so plugging in an external card for client mode won't work,

Network sharing should work just fine.

Darren posted a couple of videos on how to set up the pineapple one for Android and the other for Linux = http://www.wifipineapple.com/nano

Ah, now I understand your confusion. You need to first SSH into the Pineapple using an application like PuTTy. Then you run the Linux commands from within the Pineapple via the SSH terminal. This should help you get started.

Edit: You should also be able to connect to WiFi from the web interface. I haven't used the new UI yet so I can't tell you exactly where to go but there should be a Network tab.

Edited by sud0nick
  • Upvote 1

Ah, now I understand your confusion. You need to first SSH into the Pineapple using an application like PuTTy. Then you run the Linux commands from within the Pineapple via the SSH terminal. This should help you get started.

Edit: You should also be able to connect to WiFi from the web interface. I haven't used the new UI yet so I can't tell you exactly where to go but there should be a Network tab.

yes this is what i didn't know but i do have another error when i try to get the packets by using command wget wifipineapple.com/wp6.sh the ssh command prompt says bad address wifipineapple.com

haha Boo51799, you're a peach you know that? You've taken your first step to a wider world of, but the time has come to do some reading and learning. Plaintext passwords will be picked up by tcpdump, which can be installed at the command line with:

opkg update

opkg install tcpdump

Encrypted passwords, not so much. SSLStrip was deprecated with HSTS. You can search these forums for TONS of information about this, or consult your local search engine (might I recommend duckduckgo.com). Read up on tcpdump and pcap files and wireshark for more information. Good luck newfriend!

telot

telot

haha Boo51799, you're a peach you know that? You've taken your first step to a wider world of, but the time has come to do some reading and learning. Plaintext passwords will be picked up by tcpdump, which can be installed at the command line with:

opkg update

opkg install tcpdump

Encrypted passwords, not so much. SSLStrip was deprecated with HSTS. You can search these forums for TONS of information about this, or consult your local search engine (might I recommend duckduckgo.com). Read up on tcpdump and pcap files and wireshark for more information. Good luck newfriend!

telot

telot

Telot, tcpdump is pre-installed :)

Boo51799 -

Once you've learned all about tcpdump (and wireshark) check out ngrep! It's like grep, but for packets :)

http://www.amitnepal.com/using-ngrep-to-capture-network-activity/

http://www.stearns.org/doc/ngrep-intro.current.html

http://wroot.org/posts/quick-and-dirty-ngrep-credential-usernamepassword-sniffer/

Might I also recommend this HakTip series on Wireshark:

:)

• Upvote 2