PineAP and a fake AP problem

Onus

So this morning, I wanted to try a little experiment. I tethered my pinappe to my Nexus 6 which has both an active wifi connection as well as a 3g Data connection. I then add a fake AP to the pool called "FreeKittens" and started broadcasting it.

As expected, i was able to connect to "FreeKittens" from my laptop, but there is no internet connection.. Can someone explain to me what i need to do to allow anyone on "FreeKittens" get the internet from my phone?

I also tried it the other way around, connecting the pineapple to my laptop which is ocnnected to the internet via wlan0 and broadcasting "freeKittens" then connecting to FreeKittens from my nexus and and it worked fine..

What am i missing?

Edited by Onus

What is 8.8.8.8? I'm guessing I'm missing something on the phone side. Shows that it is thethered its just not routing the internet requests.. Like I said works the other way, with my laptop connected to the pineapple and my phone connected to freekittens

8.8.8.8 is google DNS servers - He's just suggesting you ping that since it's always up (testing if you have live connection)

You probably do not have your iptables configured correctly from the new ethernet device into the bridge. Try using wp6.sh to re-configure your setup and make sure you choose the correct interfaces. If you need to see your interfaces type ifconfig

I don't have wp6 on my phone.. Using the pineapple connect app on an android.. Tethered via USB. Is there another way via the android app

What phone do you use? Who is your provider? Is tethering allowed by your provider? It is possible that you can select the tethering option, but no traffic is routed.

Either way, SSH into your WiFi Pineapple using an Android SSH client and see if you can ping 8.8.8.8 or something similar. I assume this is not the case, which would mean your phone is somehow blocking ICS.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I'm on a nexus 6.. I have added WiFi hotspot to my plan and can now tether, before I couldn't even enable USB tethering.. So its tethered just not routing internet traffic.

In that case, either use your phone or laptop to SSH into the WiFi Pineapple.

If you are using your Android, you will need to use the IP you see in the browser that the Android app will open up.

Please provide "ifconfig -a", "route", and "ping -c1 8.8.8.8" outputs.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I'll also chime in and say that when you tether via Android and pull up the WiFi Pineapple web interface, in the Networking view you should see something similar to this in Route:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.42.129  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 usb0
172.16.42.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 br-lan
192.168.42.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 usb0
192.168.42.129  *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 usb0 

Notice how usb0 is the default gateway.

Another way to test to see if the WiFi Pineapple itself is getting Internet access without having to SSH in is to click the Load Bulletins from WiFi Pineapple.com button on the dashboard. If it fails, you're NANO isn't online.