I need help finding a high performance laptop

So my laptop is about 5 years old and I am looking for a huge upgrade because I'm out of space on my current laptop and It just doesn't have as much power as I wan't! This laptop would be used as a pentes laptop so I wan't as much power as I can get! So I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 which has 2GB of RAM and a Pentium dual core CPU T4300. I am looking for something that has 16GB of RAM and a Quad core CPU. I don't want to get a 2 in 1 were it is a laptop and a tablet because that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Ohhh and I would like it to run Windows 7 but its okay if it runs 8/8.1 because I could always change that. My max budget is around 1600$. If you guys have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Currently I am looking at an Alienware 14 with an i7 and 16GB of RAM I know that this is a gaming laptop but It still is really powerful!

-Thanks

Edited by Computer_Security

Maybe digininja could comment on this, but I feel a 'pentesting laptop' doesn't need to be all that powerful, cpu-wise. You want a fair chunk of free ram, most certainly an adequately sized ssd (possibly a regular hd for large file storage, but I'd recommend an external usb drive for that), at least 1 USB3 port and all the connectivity you can get using hacker-friendly chipsets. Some of those wifi radios are absolute clunkers so make sure you know which is in your laptop to be and make sure it can do what you want. Ethernet is of course a must. Beyond that it's a simple matter of how much money you're willing to throw at the problem.

With that budget I would recommend you to get the Mac Book Pro Retina. It's really worth it, but instead of choosing the 16 GB ram I would go for the 8 GB and then select the 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7.

And you can install windows 8 with bootcamp.

Oh but maybe you would like to wait until the MacBook Pro 2014 come out idk good luck with your decision! :grin:

Personally, I have always trusted the ThinkPad T-series as the best laptops for programmers, admins, or security folks. However I'm not sure I'm a fan of Lenovo's most recent changes. They're messing with they keyboard, which had been one of the iconic features of the ThinkPad line for almost 30 years. Still, they have fantastic hardware and construction compared to the majority of what I see on the market from other manufacturers. So, worth a look.

If you're just want power and are looking to gaming laptops for it, you should consider the MSI GS70. It packs a lot of power for it's size/price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152589&cm_re=gs70-_-34-152-589-_-Product

Alienware laptops aren't bad, but they're really not designed for the working needs of an engineer. The keyboards are sufficient for gaming, but not fantastic for typing at all day. And unless you're also using it for gaming, that big GPU is just going to add bulk, weight, and drain your battery faster for no real benefit.

There are a lot of alternatives to Alienware out there which are worth looking at, unless you're really married to the idea of buying from Dell.

Thanks Sitwon

Personally, I have always trusted the ThinkPad T-series as the best laptops for programmers, admins, or security folks. However I'm not sure I'm a fan of Lenovo's most recent changes. They're messing with they keyboard, which had been one of the iconic features of the ThinkPad line for almost 30 years. Still, they have fantastic hardware and construction compared to the majority of what I see on the market from other manufacturers. So, worth a look.

If you're just want power and are looking to gaming laptops for it, you should consider the MSI GS70. It packs a lot of power for it's size/price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152589&cm_re=gs70-_-34-152-589-_-Product

Alienware laptops aren't bad, but they're really not designed for the working needs of an engineer. The keyboards are sufficient for gaming, but not fantastic for typing at all day. And unless you're also using it for gaming, that big GPU is just going to add bulk, weight, and drain your battery faster for no real benefit.

There are a lot of alternatives to Alienware out there which are worth looking at, unless you're really married to the idea of buying from Dell.

Yea I know that the alienware is not the best choice because it is a waste of money because I don't give a shit about gaming! I just wanted to get the point across that I need something with power. I will definitely look into the laptop that you recommended. And while I was looking at Dells XPS line I found out that they are through the roof in prices! The new ones start at my max budget and I just can't financially do that, you know! It's hard because I wish you could just build one but you really can't because everything is soldered on in a laptop and It would just be way to big of a headache!

-Thanks

I was looking at their website and I found this

MSI GT60 0NF-612US

PROS

• Windows 7 Professional • Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor • 15.6" Full HD Anti-Reflective 95% NTSC Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080) • NVIDIA® Quadro® K1000M (2GB DDR3 VRAM) • Matrix Display • Cooler Boost 2 • Full-Color Programmable Backlit Keyboard by SteelSeries • Killer E2200™ Networking 802.11 b/g/n WLAN • 750GB HDD (7200 RPM) • 12GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory • USB 3.0 x 3; USB 2.0 x 1 • VGA, HDMI, mDP • Blu-ray Disc Burner • Built-in 720p HD Webcam • World-Class Dynaudio Premium Speakers • Audio Boost

CONS

-I don't know what I can upgrade( like how much ram can it hold and stuff like that ) usually I use crucial, You go to their site put in what computer you have and it tells you what you can upgrade and were you can get it but crucial.com dosent have it in their database Do you guys know any other way I could find out???

-Price (it is priced at 1600$ which is my top and its gonna take some time to scratch up the cash)

Another laptop i would recommend is the base items here. I5 or I7, 8 gigs of ram at least. 1 ubs3.0 maybe a SSD but i wouldn't if your going with storage or if you can get one with a dual 2.5 inch bay. right now i have a Sony vaio flip 13a thats really good. You don't really need a GPU unless you want to do brute force. It really depends on what you want to do and how "future proof" you wanna get.

I use a cr-48 from google and it works with no problem. It has a dual core atom and 2 gig's of ram that blow threw anything i throw at it. the only downside to these is the 16 gig of ssd storage from the mini-pci slot. You can get one for 100-200 on ebay or craigslist. I like it due to no branding and no one knows what it is. Gives it that mysterious look to it.

Why would I go with that laptop it would be a downgrade from what I am getting!!!!

It might be a downgrade in specs (on paper) but ThinkPads have a well-earned reputation for superior design and build quality. The end result is more rugged, durable, and trouble-free over a much longer lifespan than most other brands. And long after MSI has stopped supporting your gaming laptop, you will still be able to purchase replacement parts for your ThinkPad at a reasonable price. That's one reason why ThinkPads are often the choice of professionals who need a reliable workhorse.

But if you only care about performance the MSI is a better value.

Another laptop i would recommend is the base items here. I5 or I7, 8 gigs of ram at least. 1 ubs3.0 maybe a SSD but i wouldn't if your going with storage or if you can get one with a dual 2.5 inch bay. right now i have a Sony vaio flip 13a thats really good. You don't really need a GPU unless you want to do brute force. It really depends on what you want to do and how "future proof" you wanna get.

I use a cr-48 from google and it works with no problem. It has a dual core atom and 2 gig's of ram that blow threw anything i throw at it. the only downside to these is the 16 gig of ssd storage from the mini-pci slot. You can get one for 100-200 on ebay or craigslist. I like it due to no branding and no one knows what it is. Gives it that mysterious look to it.

Yea is really what I am trying to do I want it to be future proof and that is why I am willing to pay more now instead of buying another laptop 5 years later you know what I mean!

Also I want to run some virtual machines and I will probably assign them each 2GB of RAM so I am happy with the 12GB of RAM that comes with the MSI and I know I probably wont be using it but remember I want it to be "future proof"

Edited by Computer_Security

Looking at the one above I know of another that maybe a little cheaper and smaller. its good as i used to have one when the nvidia 650m's were out. It was good but for me to small. If the screen size of 13.3 inch is small go up to the 14 inch. Its good and small. Not to mention the 2-3 storage options you have on this baby. 2 Mstat slots ( card like SSD) and a normal ssd or hdd for storage.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7338

Edited by super-6-1

Looking at the one above I know of another that maybe a little cheaper and smaller. its good as i used to have one when the nvidia 650m's were out. It was good but for me to small. If the screen size of 13.3 inch is small go up to the 14 inch. Its good and small. Not to mention the 2-3 storage options you have on this baby. 2 Mstat slots ( card like SSD) and a normal ssd or hdd for storage.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP7338

that looks like a really good laptop I just don't think that I could handle a really small screen like that I guess that you would get use to it tho!

• 3 months later...

@Computer_Security - Did you bought a laptop for yourself? :rolleyes:

I am also looking to upgrade my notebook by month end,I need this for pentesting,running various pentesting tools,few VM simultaneously so there is no lag during multitask.

Have seen few notebooks and finally came across recently launched Lenovo Y50,I am planning to go with it.

http://www.thedostore.com/ideapad-y5059-431090.html

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 4710 HQ, 8 GB RAM, HYBRID 1TB 5400RPM SSHD(8G), 15.6 FHD TN(SLIM), N15P-GX GDDR5 4G, Win8.1

2xUSB3.0, 1xUSB 2.0,EXTERNAL 9.5MM DVD/RW

The only one downfall I see is that it has the graphics card which is almost waste for me,as a pentester I am not a serious gamer.

Any reviews on that,the machine itself or say its wifi? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Not a full-featured notebook and i might be OT, but i'd rather choose a Lenovo ThinkPad X131e for its rugged design and portability. It has enough power to run any pentesting distro out there. Only thing i would check before buying is whether monitor mode will work with the internal wireless adapter.

Work has decided to grace me with a new laptop next week which is going to be a HP ZBook 17.

Since I'm a dev this is a pretty high-spec device but probably not particularly portable.

Edit: looked it up - starts at 7 pounds. :sad:

Edited by Cooper