Got my SDR Kit, now what?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm done. I'm going to do a bit torrent download of Kali 1.0.6 one more time and see if I can get it to install. If I can then great, it should have all the stuff I need for SDR. If not I'll just wait until someone brings out a .deb package that'll work with my dongle. Way too many hoops to jump through just to listen to a radio.

I DO appreciate all the help but for now it's just becoming more work then it's really worth.

your dongle actually works; the problem is the 3rd-party software driving the dongle

referring to http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

sudo rtl_fm -f <frequency of station in hertz> -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE

replace <frequency of station in hertz> with a local FM radio station, and hopefully it should play, and you'll hear the local radio

example FM station 90.1 would be entered above as 90100000

Edited by midnitesnake

I have been following this new forum and would just like to say a quick thanks to midnitesnake. You have been extremely patient and firing replies away in this, and other threads! It's great to see. Might be worth doing a FAQ and pin it at the top eventually with the main bits of info regarding SDR. Your enthusiasm and helpfulness gave me the confidence to take a leap and order one.

Keep it up! :)

Yep, midnitesnake really tried to help me get things going but I guess to answer the original question "Now What?", Install Kalli Linux 1.0.6 and use their pre-installed Gqrx to get things up and running.

Gnuradio can be tricky on different flavours of linux, and OSX; had a nightmare of a time when OSX updated to Mavericks! But we definately got the drivers working :)

I've even tried running an old version of Gnu-radio for the GSM sniffing (personal mobile in small faraday box) and have been unsuccessful; SDR can be very fun and very challenging!

• 1 month later...

Okay. Tag! I'm in.

I know little about the Debian specifics but I do know a thing or two about build scripts.

So, when we last looked at this conversation I got the impression that the building was pretty much complete. The udev rules wouldn't install (hint: do so manually by copying them yourself, assuming they're in the source tarball) but the program itself seemed to be responding properly. The lack of udev rules meant that the SDR device was only readable by root forcing you to use sudo to run the program you were trying to run.

With that little recap, what's working and what isn't yet working? Regarding the bits that aren't working, what, specifically, is the output you're getting (if it's a long lump of text, use the spoiler tag)?

Okay. Tag! I'm in.

Good, I can use all the help that I can get.

The udev rules wouldn't install (hint: do so manually by copying them yourself, assuming they're in the source tarball) but the program itself seemed to be responding properly. The lack of udev rules meant that the SDR device was only readable by root forcing you to use sudo to run the program you were trying to run.

I actually have no idea how to do that.

udev rules are files with the ".rules" extension. Looking at the git repo for rtl-sdr there's only the "rtl-sdr.rules" file in the root folder. If you look at that file, the 'special sauce' in there is the MODE bit at the end. It tells udev to give the device RW rights for everybody which might be a little lax but will do for a private machine.

The udev rules files are expected under /etc/udev/rules.d but if Debian tries to be a unique snowflake and place them somewhere else, you should be able to find them with the command "find /etc -name \*.rules"

So what you need to do is to manually copy the "rtl-sdr.rules" file into the udev rules.d folder:

cp rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

It will be necessary for you to restart the udevd daemon for these changes to take effect (or outright restart the box if you can't be arsed).

I wish some of ya'll lived near by so you could come over and give me some lessons in stuff like this. I've learned a lot in the last year but dang, there's just some stuff where you need someone sitting next to you to walk you through it. I appreciat the info, I'll try to use it if I get to that point but for now it looks like I'm just going to take the easy way out and run Kali. So I eat up a bit more drive space with all the extra stuff that I have no clue as to how to use, not a big deal as long as I can get my SDR on. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello all I'm new here. I just picked up the SDR Dongle and went to snag a copy of the sdr-sharp software and find the author has a "gone fishing" graphic on his homepage and taken his site down. I've been searching around for an alternative place to download the software this evening without luck. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of SDR-Sharp at. Thanks!

GoneFishin.JPG

Edited by NuclearC

See this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/290177-has-creator-sdrsharp-closed-shop.html

TL;DR The guy is probably working hard on what looks like a commercial solution on http://www.airspy.com and with the development of SDR# itself he got burned by a few people for denying a contribution on technical merit... Yeah, the nerve of some people...

Read the thread for a couple of backup download links to SDR#.

Edited by Cooper

Since I switched to Manjaro (Arch based Distro) getting Gqrx is a non-issue. I just go into Octopi and check for "gqrx" in yaourt and it'll use cmake and whatever else it needs to to configure and set up Gqrx for me. Easy as pie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...