Is trusted computing some thing we should worry about?

Sparda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_computing

From the wikipedia artical it looks like some thing that would prevent computers from proceeding any further technologicly. Let me just qualifiy that. While the physical technolagy would continue to develop, sudderly, the whole yonger generation are no longer able to learn how to program becasue they can't write software to actualy practice writing software.

As such, suddernly, it become imposible to find good coders 'fresh' out of university, as all the software writing they have to do has to be done at university (or where ever), so they perhasp have 4 years actual software writing experiance. Where, as it currently stands, some of the best coders where writing programs (10 Print "Hello", 20 Goto 10) befor they even left middle school (secondary school), but becasue of Trusted computing it become imposible for them to write a program and compile it with out spending £1000 (or what ever it would cost) to actualy get a compiler that came with the encyption key it needed to beable to execute code. Is this correct or am I just been paranoid?

I always take the standing of: "kill it befor it gets a chance to be some thing very bad". Do you let that athlets foot get as bad as it coule be (i.e. a infection of the blood which is potentily life thretaning) befor doing any thing about it, or do you instantly go get some power/cream for it? I thought so, I personaly think the law should work exacly the same way, kill off things that could be very bad befor they get a chance to get that bad.

I'll give the article a read once back from class but my imeadiate conclusion is that you are once again, far too paranoid. :D
Paranoids are simply those people who have all the facts!

- Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan -

“A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.â€

- William S. Burroughs

Both so true...

Oh so frighteningly true...

“A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.â€

- William S. Burroughs

"I hate quotations."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The basic idea of trusted computing was to create safer computers for the users. The idea is still being sold under that disguise but now it is more about DRM. With trusted computing the user is no longer trusted and is therefore not allowed total control over the computer. How much control you think is going to be taken away by this depends on your level of paranoia. It's anywhere between trying lock down media streams and completely locking down the computer where every single piece of software needs to be signed by a trusted entity.

There is a lot of other issues too but to summarize I would say it is a BadThing<tm>

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

obviously that's RMS so it might be skewed towards his opinions.

Personally what i think it's going to do is that it's basically going to take away control from the user. It's going to make it effectively that you are no longer root on your own computer.

I don't think that you're going to be unable to write your own software. I think instead you're going to have much more stuff happening like the whole Sony rootkit thing. Where companies that don't trust and respect their customers are going to have spyware are malware put onto there that they can't see. or perhaps something like WGA, where your own computer shuts down and stops listening to you because somebody else told it to.

I think it will be that we're not really going to have our own computers, rather we're going to be effectively leasing them from another company. By leasing i'm not speaking in any way about not having to buy the computer. It will still be yours and you're still going to have to pay for it, but instead it's going to effectively be something that you're borrowing from MS or somebody else. They control what it does, what it lets you do and not do, not you.

I think the reason also why this is going to happen is because for most people they'll not notice or they won't understand that they should be the ones in control. People generally have a very submissive mentality and will just accept it. Also, i think for most computers are just a utility towards getting the services that they want. They just think, "i use a computer to get my email and IM with friends." I think for us it would be different because for us the interest is much more the computer itself

note that TC very much also includes media devices such as what we only just began to see with DVDs and we're seeing much more of in your TiVo and the next generation of high-def DVDs. In this case TC would be used to control how you're able to access any of your purchased media. I'm pretty sure that with Vista high-def movies will either play in low res or not at all if you don't have a proper monitor and videocards that are compatible with the DRM standard that is used to control the video. Even if you have a HD monitor or tv already, it's not going to work.

I'm curious as to how this will affect the parts and hardware market. If they are going to TC sign the box itself, and we're basically leasing the computer, what kind of toll would that put on vendors like NewEgg.com and M-wave.com. These people make almost all of their money off of people like us. The people that would rather buy all the specific parts we want and build it ourselves as opposed to paying for one big bundle that has more or less than we need/want. How would this 'trusted computing' fall into that? Would we then be required to buy only certain hardware combinations, that have been deemed OK by the powers that be, that play nice with each other? If that would be the case, I'd say stock up now boys and learn how to make a massive beowolfe cluster.

Well the bootup process of this shitty Dell machine I'm now working with does moan something about a Trusted Computing chip of sorts on the MoBo. I don't know what it does normally when Windows is running, but I turned it off in the BIOS and never heard either Windows or Linux complain about it.