Not working :(

mikeyrave

You need to provide more details.

How far did you get with the setup of the Mark V?

What type of connection are you using to connect to the modem?

etc...

Also, the manual should help get you to at least a starting point

insert card, power on, wait, browse

after i set the pineapple up with a password i took the cable from my computer and connected it to my cable modem then on my computer connected to the ssid of my pineapple 'no internet'

try and go to 172.16.42.1:1471 won't go

take cable from cable modem put it back into the computer

take cable from pineapple and put into the cable modem

try and do google search for answers, won't connect to internet

power cycle cable modem reconnect it computer for internet to work

find some stuff that might help try and connect to the pineapple over wifi so i won't have to deal with unplugging and plugging cables computer willl not connect to the pineapple at all so power cycle connect to ssid get into it nothing i tried works

reflash

and repeat

the only thing that i have found out from my persistence is that any time i connect the pineapple directly to the cable modem and it doesn't work and i then instead plug the modem directly into my computer i have to power cycle the modem to get internet on my computer again.

the same goes for the pineapple itself anytime after the statement above windows fails to connect to the access point and i don't mean 'no internet connection' i mean straight up will not connect and i have to power cycle the pineapple just to connect to the pineapple through wireless.

insert card, power on, wait, browse

after i set the pineapple up with a password i took the cable from my computer and connected it to my cable modem then on my computer connected to the ssid of my pineapple 'no internet'

take cable from cable modem put it back into the computer

take cable from pineapple and put into the cable modem

try and do google search for answers, won't connect to internet

power cycle cable modem reconnect it computer for internet to work

find some stuff that might help try and connect to the pineapple over wifi so i won't have to deal with unplugging and plugging cables computer willl not connect to the pineapple at all so power cycle connect to ssid get into it nothing i tried works

reflash

and repeat

the only thing that i have found out from my persistence is that any time i connect the pineapple directly to the cable modem and it doesn't work and i then instead plug the modem directly into my computer i have to power cycle the modem to get internet on my computer again.

the same goes for the pineapple itself anytime after the statement above windows fails to connect to the access point and i don't mean 'no internet connection' i mean straight up will not connect and i have to power cycle the pineapple just to connect to the pineapple through wireless.

Are you using HTTPS://IP:Port for accessing the pineapple?

For the modem, you will need to power cycle your modem for it to work. It has to do with the "learned" MAC address on the modem.

Are you using HTTPS://IP:Port for accessing the pineapple?

For the modem, you will need to power cycle your modem for it to work. It has to do with the "learned" MAC address on the modem.

i just go to my url and type "172.16.42.1:1471" no http or https

so i just did a factory reset

after reset connected by wireless went to https://172.16.42.1:1471

'ssl connection error'

same with directly connected

realized it may because i didn't setup completely after reset

successful connect to 172.16.42.1:1471 through cable

make password

redo network with modem-->computer

connect to pineapple

go to https://172.16.42.1:1471/

'ssl connection error'

try also with pineapple-->computer

'ssl connection error'

well either way i still have no connection at the moment i'm trying to find a wireless signal that i connect too in my neighborhood to see if i can at least get internet that way. if that works i'll try power cycling the modem before connecting it to my pineapple just in case i haven't done that and if it doesn't work then i guess i still have problems :(

The modem has learned the MAC address of your computer/router. Power off the modem, plug in the pineapple to the modem, power on modem.

ughhhh well that worked.. found open wifi connected and the pineapple received an ip address. i went ahead and power cycled my modem before connecting it to the pineapple and it didn't work once again no internet

*edit*

things have gotten more weird... I've gotten it to work by using the supplied ethernet cable however to get it to work i have to go in and edit the ipv4 properties on my wireless card save it go back in then set it all back to automatic (why this would have anything to do with the pineapple accessing internet i have no idea) but after getting the pineapple to receive an ip address i'm no longer able to connect to it through 172.16.42.1:1471

seriously i'm a huge say'er of 'operator error' but what is wrong with this piece of crap this would be some what more bearable if i was learning anything about this hardware but it has been noneducational, and absolutely the worst piece of equipment I've ever worked with i'm to the point where i'd rather get my money back

Edited by mikeyrave

Let me try to help. But first, I would like to say that there are a few things wrong with this post:

• The title is non descriptive.
  • You didn't supply us with any logs, configurations etc.
  • You didn't give us any background information on the network you are trying to connect to.
  • You didn't tell us what OS you are connecting from - Though you later mentioned windows.

First of all, the WiFi Pineapple MKV does NOT support https. Trying to reach it over https will result in a connection error.

So, lets try to get to the bottom of this. If you want to give your WiFi Pineapple MKV internet over it's ethernet port, you can do so in two different ways:

1. Follow the instructions in the supplied booklet. They describe how to configure your IPV4 settings correctly and set a static IP of 172.16.42.42.
  2. Re-configure the ethernet port on the WiFi Pineapple MKV so that it tries to get an IP over DHCP. This is what you'll want if you are connecting the WiFi Pineapple MKV directly to your modem over ethernet. Read through this.

On the WiFi Pineapple MKV there are a few ways to give it (and it's clients) internet. We support Android USB tethering, mobile broadband dongles, WiFi Clientmode, ethernet. It seems like you only want ethernet for this setup. We don't have it configured to work with a router by default, but to work with our configurations by default.

The likely reason you are unable to connect to the WiFi Pineapple webinterface is because your routing settings are incorrect.

Now, your comment on "Operator Error", I think you may have misunderstood the setup instructions in regards to Internet Connection Sharing. The WiFi Pineapple was designed for penetration testing purposes and therefore is configured as such. If you wish to use it as a stand alone router, a bit of configuration is necessary. If you are unhappy and you are within the 30 days return policy, contact shop@hak5.org for a return.

Best Regards,
Sebkinne

Let me try to help. But first, I would like to say that there are a few things wrong with this post:

• The title is non descriptive.
  • You didn't supply us with any logs, configurations etc.
  • You didn't give us any background information on the network you are trying to connect to.
  • You didn't tell us what OS you are connecting from - Though you later mentioned windows.

First of all, the WiFi Pineapple MKV does NOT support https. Trying to reach it over https will result in a connection error.

So, lets try to get to the bottom of this. If you want to give your WiFi Pineapple MKV internet over it's ethernet port, you can do so in two different ways:

1. Follow the instructions in the supplied booklet. They describe how to configure your IPV4 settings correctly and set a static IP of 172.16.42.42.
  2. Re-configure the ethernet port on the WiFi Pineapple MKV so that it tries to get an IP over DHCP. This is what you'll want if you are connecting the WiFi Pineapple MKV directly to your modem over ethernet. Read through this.

On the WiFi Pineapple MKV there are a few ways to give it (and it's clients) internet. We support Android USB tethering, mobile broadband dongles, WiFi Clientmode, ethernet. It seems like you only want ethernet for this setup. We don't have it configured to work with a router by default, but to work with our configurations by default.

The likely reason you are unable to connect to the WiFi Pineapple webinterface is because your routing settings are incorrect.

Now, your comment on "Operator Error", I think you may have misunderstood the setup instructions in regards to Internet Connection Sharing. The WiFi Pineapple was designed for penetration testing purposes and therefore is configured as such. If you wish to use it as a stand alone router, a bit of configuration is necessary. If you are unhappy and you are within the 30 days return policy, contact shop@hak5.org for a return.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

thank you for you post and link i'll be reading that shortly, and i wouldn't return such an amazing device solely for its feature set just a bit discouraged and heated and posting with out thinking...

Yes at the moment i'm trying to use the pineapple as such :cable modem-->pineapple-->computer: simply as a wireless access point (i'm sure your link will help me out)

*edit*

so i tired to first set my ipv4 settings on my computers wireless card to

192.16.42.1 also tried 192.16.42.0

this didn't work because the pineapple still does not get an ip address...

reading into documents you supplied me i assume this is because my cable modem is docisis 3 and i have to "Enable the broadcast flag in DHCP requests"

now could i possible get a link to where and how i can view/edit the configuration file.. i assume i could use the dip switch configuration to say run the command(s) needed to get dhcp requests

also something weird that i just noticed is that when i'm directly connected from my cable modem to my computer (so i can actually use the internet) my computer has suddenly named my local area connection adapter to 'Pineapple5_0FDF 2' is that normal like something to do with my cable modem throwing out information from being connected to the pineapple

Edited by mikeyrave

well after about three hours i've come to the conclusion that i need to some how change/set/configure eth0 to protocol dhcp but i have no idea where i can do this or how many commands this would take... is there a command(s) i can run in the dip switch/bootmode?... do i run what ever the command(s) are right from the advance tab?... tried to ssh into it type help and got a handful of commands that don't do anything for me. tried to find this so called network file in /etc/config but have no idea how to read or alter that

well now after an additional hour figured out i could connect to the pineapple through ssh then cd /etc/config then nano network and change the proto to dhcp for eth0 under the lan interface
AND THAT DID NOTHING BUT BREAK MY PINEAPPLE
so now i'm up to the 7th factory restart
countless hours of searching to the point where i can no longer read what tabs go where and have come to the realization that anytime that i think i find hope it's just a topic with no responses what so ever, or the answer is not the answer and just someone trying to be the first to go ctrl c-v to the setting up connection page of the booklet
so seriously please! does someone have an actual answer on where to and how to, black and white to the t, make my pineapple a wireless router

The pineapple is openWRT, so searches can be done for openWRT of what you are trying to do.

The pineapple isn't just a stand alone router, it is a specialized penetration testing tool. An understanding of networking and network routing is important.

The configurations you would need to change are in in the link previously posted by Sebkinne. If you can read and understand the information on that site, you should be able to create from scratch or modify the config accordingly.

I don't feel like modifying my pineapple down to a simple AP to test any configs, and I'm not sure many people will.

The pineapple is openWRT, so searches can be done for openWRT of what you are trying to do.

The pineapple isn't just a stand alone router, it is a specialized penetration testing tool. An understanding of networking and network routing is important.

The configurations you would need to change are in in the link previously posted by Sebkinne. If you can read and understand the information on that site, you should be able to create from scratch or modify the config accordingly.

I don't feel like modifying my pineapple down to a simple AP to test any configs, and I'm not sure many people will.

i'm not trying to test any configurations i'm trying to get it to connect to the internet so i can get updates and/or infusions with out walking up and down my road to find an open access point and hope that signal is strong enough to not timeout while also carrying a bunch of stuff in the freezing cold and snow everywhere

i'll just have to do the opposite and create an adhoc connection with my notebook while its connected to ethernet... hope that works

If you just want to get the pineapple online, follow the ICS (Internet connection sharing) instructions that are all over.

If you are on a linux machine: wget wifipineapple.com/wp5.sh && chmod +x wp5.sh && sudo ./wp5.sh

Read the instructions when it prompts you and respond accordingly.

If you are running windows, google is your friend or search the forums.

If you just want to get the pineapple online, follow the ICS (Internet connection sharing) instructions that are all over.

If you are on a linux machine: wget wifipineapple.com/wp5.sh && chmod +x wp5.sh && sudo ./wp5.sh

Read the instructions when it prompts you and respond accordingly.

If you are running windows, google is your friend or search the forums.

please tell me what exactly i'm sharing? internet? what internet? i have a COMPUTER, CABLE MODEM, PINEAPPLE

i can't share internet with my pineapple with out having internet to share with it

cable modem-->computer=internet (access pineapple through wifi)

or

cable modem-->pineapple=no internet (access pineapple through wifi)

i DO NOT have a way to

modem-->wireless router-->computer(ICS wireless adapter)-->NIC-->pineapple

which is why i'm trying to use the pineapple as a wireless router because i can't create an adhoc connection with my notebook because once i do i lose connection with the pineapple and no longer have the ability to connect to the webui or ssh as such to connect to said adhoc

So let's get this straight. You want to connect the pineapple directly to Ethernet to get updates.

As you've proved, it's not practicable for you to use it as a router. I would advise waiting until you have the means to do this properly.

HOWEVER: I'm feeling helpful, so give me a few minutes.

I'll factory reset my pineapple, install all available infusions, and ZIP the entire sd card structure, along with the firmware update.

So hold onto your horses, this will take me a few minutes.

EDIT: Took forever to manually install all the infusions, copying via scp, uploading inside of 5 minutes

Edited by Ingsoc

So let's get this straight. You want to connect the pineapple directly to Ethernet to get updates.

As you've proved, it's not practicable for you to use it as a router. I would advise waiting until you have the means to do this properly.

HOWEVER: I'm feeling helpful, so give me a few minutes.

I'll factory reset my pineapple, install all available infusions, and ZIP the entire sd card structure, along with the firmware update.

So hold onto your horses, this will take me a few minutes.

that will be awesome amazing now i just need to learn how to get everything working after i alter files over ssh its seems like anytime i change anything my pineapple just shits the bed and ican no longer connect to it even after power cycle. have to do a factory reset.

also when i enable the wlan1 in the webui it dosn't show up on my availiable wireless networks

Factory reset first please. Then extract to SD card. Boot pineapple with SD card in. Firmware should flash. I'm incompetent

Do initial configuration.

Turn Karma on and set the SSID in Karma config to whatever you choose. Should appear then.

Take your time and be patient when learning how to use it. Make sure you allow time for changes to commit, impatience is not your friend.

Edited by Ingsoc

Extract to the root of your SD card. Pineapple bar should detect the orphaned infusions. The latest firmware is already at the root, and should install when booted.

I take no responsibility for anything, especially if it doesn't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5_Ou6o_x1-tM2Q3RE9veGRZWDA/edit?usp=sharing

thank you for the files but before i get into that i'd like to know why after i edit my network file i no longer have access to my pineapple

example with factory reset---

connect via wireless have access to both the webui and ssh

nano /etc/config/network

only thing i edit is changing static to dhcp and gateway to the ip of cable modem (yes still trying to make it a dumb ap)

save the file then /etc/init.d/network reload

putty freezes/can't connect to webui

power cycle pineapple and reconnet via wireless, windows throws an error about not being able to connect to it and it having limited access no longer can connect via webui or ssh have to factory reset to gain access again

so any idea whats going on with this or what i'm doing wrong?

mikeyrave, you might want to wait until Sebkinne can respond or your just going to get more frustrated.

Being the holidays and all, I'm sure he is a bit busy, and like he said before the mark v won't play like a regular router directly out of the box.

Im sure people here want to help but as Mr.Protocol stated not many of us want to really mess up our install to try to make it a regular router.

While you are waiting, I would suggest you go find a USB to ethernet adapter or router. A USB to Ethernet adapter might be your least expensive route, maybe $10 to $30 depending where you find it.

I would eventually just get a router if I were you, your going to have way less problems and worries in the long run, then you will be able to use the mark v the way it was intended to be used.