Not working :(

mikeyrave

mikeyrave, you might want to wait until Sebkinne can respond or your just going to get more frustrated.

Being the holidays and all, I'm sure he is a bit busy, and like he said before the mark v won't play like a regular router directly out of the box.

Im sure people here want to help but as Mr.Protocol stated not many of us want to really mess up our install to try to make it a regular router.

While you are waiting, I would suggest you go find a USB to ethernet adapter or router. A USB to Ethernet adapter might be your least expensive route, maybe $10 to $30 depending where you find it.

I would eventually just get a router if I were you, your going to have way less problems and worries in the long run, then you will be able to use the mark v the way it was intended to be used.

at this point i'm more worried that something is wrong with the device itself i just did a test with the network file where i push a random key so that it says the file is modified delete that character and save the file so to recap the network file is not changed in anyway run the init.d/network reload and once again have to factory reset so maybe this is why i can't get the configuration to make the pineapple to work as a dumb ap

at this point i'm more worried that something is wrong with the device itself i just did a test with the network file where i push a random key so that it says the file is modified delete that character and save the file so to recap the network file is not changed in anyway run the init.d/network reload and once again have to factory reset so maybe this is why i can't get the configuration to make the pineapple to work as a dumb ap

I understand you being worried about the device. If there is something wrong with your device hardware, I'm sure hak5 will fix it for you.

If there is something wrong with the software, Sebkinne will sort it out, but you have to remember this is a small company, a lot of bugs are reported by the community and Sebkinne and several others work on fixing them.

Patience, like Ingsoc pointed out, is the key here.

Having Internet to both your pineapple and your laptop seems your biggest problem to me at the moment.

I went through most of the updates for firmware and infusions since 1.00, I remember one day I got everything the way I wanted it.

The next morning, firmware update, infusions update ect.......I would have not had fun trying to copy the files to the card instead of just clicking on update, because I had Internet connection the way the manual expects you to have. ie......You might be the only person to purchase the mark v to use as a regular router....I'm not even sure if there is anything on the hakshops website that states it can be used as a regular router.... Most of us have a router.

Edited by xrad

I understand you being worried about the device. If there is something wrong with your device hardware, I'm sure hak5 will fix it for you.

If there is something wrong with the software, Sebkinne will sort it out, but you have to remember this is a small company, a lot of bugs are reported by the community and Sebkinne and several others work on fixing them.

Patience, like Ingsoc pointed out, is the key here.

Having Internet to both your pineapple and your laptop seems your biggest problem to me at the moment.

I went through most of the updates for firmware and infusions since 1.00, I remember one day I got everything the way I wanted it.

The next morning, firmware update, infusions update ect.......I would have not had fun trying to copy the files to to card instead of just clicking on update, because I had Internet connection the way the manual expects you to have. ie......You might be the only person to purchase the mark v to use as a regular router....I'm not even sure if there is anything on the hakshops website that states it can be used as a regular router.... Most of us have a router.

i don't just want to use the pineapple as an access point, honestly i either want it as a temporary thing to get all the infusions that i need/want then configure it back to stock or better yet learn about scripting and possible make a dip switch setting for running the script to change the configuration if i ever happen to be in a situation where i might want to just have a 'dumb' access point...

such as if i go into a house such as mine (only have one computer don't have any reason for routers or hubs) and they don't have a modem that doubles as a wireless router and/or hub; or a modem that goes to a wireless router and/or hub. Just to create a simple access point to broadcast the internet.

doing that i'm able to also use my notebook with out having to share the single computer and at that point if its like that since they don't have a wireless card i simple share through my wireless card to my NIC and connect there computer to my computer.

as weird or confusing as that sounds I've been in situations like this a couple times although their notebook had a wireless card so he just shared his NIC connection and created an adhoc connection

If you want an access point, get an access point. I just attempted to play around with my config and I got the pineapple to grab DHCP, but it screwed up the wireless access to the pineapple.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-travel-routers-1452441479

Or pick up the Mark IV hardware (Alfa AP121u) and just install stock openWRT.

If you want an access point, get an access point. I just attempted to play around with my config and I got the pineapple to grab DHCP, but it screwed up the wireless access to the pineapple.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-travel-routers-1452441479

Or pick up the Mark IV hardware (Alfa AP121u) and just install stock openWRT.

the MKV can already be used as an access point it seems very counter productive to buy/order even more hardware when i already have something that has the ability to do what i want. as of now it seems like my problem is configuration so why pay for more when i can for less code

Because it is a total redo of the configs to get it to work just like a typical AP. I currently have the pineapple hooked directly to my network that has a NAT in place and it works fine other than my computer can't directly talk to it over a wired network with the default configs (10.x.x.x network and the pineapple is 172.16.42.1). I'm actually shocked you don't have a wireless router in place currently as it is, or any type of NAT device.

Because it is a total redo of the configs to get it to work just like a typical AP. I currently have the pineapple hooked directly to my network that has a NAT in place and it works fine other than my computer can't directly talk to it over a wired network with the default configs (10.x.x.x network and the pineapple is 172.16.42.1). I'm actually shocked you don't have a wireless router in place currently as it is, or any type of NAT device.

shocked that i don't care to have the potential of people seeing into my life over the air? i also have an aversion to anything wireless for many reasons some of which may not be as much as a problem as it used to be but..

speed, reliability, latency, privacy, added configuration of hardware, cost of electricity, the added steps of troubleshooting. something about a single coaxial cable coming from my wall into a single device and out a single Ethernet cable to my computer is nice... guaranteed the best speed, reliability, lowest latency, better privacy. no need to be one of those people when you walk into their home and they have this gnarled mess of fubar cables rat nested together sitting in the corner, less equipment less cost. if something happens much much easier to troubleshoot

NAT is a big step for security as well as built in firewall and ability to have multiple devices connected, which is your goal currently, ironically. All of the "best reliability, lowest latency, etc." is in theory. I guess you will have to wait until someone posts a config that will work for your specific scenario or read up and see if you can figure it out.

NAT is a big step for security as well as built in firewall and ability to have multiple devices connected, which is your goal currently, ironically. All of the "best reliability, lowest latency, etc." is in theory. I guess you will have to wait until someone posts a config that will work for your specific scenario or read up and see if you can figure it out.

to much to read i'm sure something will happen that works at the moment i'm going to give up on that dream factory reset one last time and throw it out side with the juice to see if i can simply get some open wifi and do the updates and what not

correct me if i'm wrong but it should technically be possible for the MKV to be used as a dumb AP. As of now it's simply a configuration problem which on such an open platform as openwrt can be changed.
So if this is possible would anyone like to help me build an infusion by either being a contributor and/or teacher that accomplishes this task; already thought of a pretty funny name for the infusion (if possible) derpapple.

Edited by mikeyrave

so finally found a place in which i can connect to a open wireless point but after a short time of imitating connection with access point i can no longer access the webui.... then after some more time my computer drops the connection with pineapple going outside i go to look at the pineapple (thinking it perhaps restarted) and take a look the green, blue, red leds are solid not blinking

I've been following this topic a while now, and have the same question.

I asked it in another topic but never got a real answer.

But i have been thinking. the Ethernet port get a static IP address of 172.16.42.1 , this is the problem because my modem wants to give it something like 192.168.1.118 (in my case)

Would it work to only change the static IP address and gateway option in the /etc/config/network like this:

config interface lan
option ifname eth0
option type bridge
option proto static
option ipaddr 192.168.1.118
option netmask 255.255.255.0
option gateway 192.168.1.1
option dns 8.8.8.8

This way it wants to get a IP address in the right range, and i can bind an reserve it in my modem.

I don't know if this will work or not a thought i ask it here first!

regards

Nextria

I've been following this topic a while now, and have the same question.

I asked it in another topic but never got a real answer.

But i have been thinking. the Ethernet port get a static IP address of 172.16.42.1 , this is the problem because my modem wants to give it something like 192.168.1.118 (in my case)

Would it work to only change the static IP address and gateway option in the /etc/config/network like this:

config interface lan

option ifname eth0

option type bridge

option proto static

option ipaddr 192.168.1.118

option netmask 255.255.255.0

option gateway 192.168.1.1

option dns 8.8.8.8

This way it wants to get a IP address in the right range, and i can bind an reserve it in my modem.

I don't know if this will work or not a thought i ask it here first!

regards

Nextria

well weird finally got it to work as an access point but i had to use completely different settings by setting my ip address to the address my cable modem always gives, setting the gateway to the address of the cable modem, and not sure if it did anythign to help but the dns to 75.75.75.75 that my modem uses...

however as i complained about earlier (still haven't found an answer) after i run /etc/init.d/network reload putty freezes up can't access the webui and i have to power cycle after that it worked as a dumb ap but i no longer have access to the webui or putty using any ip

*edit*

nope it only worked for a short amount of time then i lost connection try and disconnect then reconnect to the pineapple throws an error from windows about not being able to connect... connected my computer directly to the modem like usual to regain internet... did a simply power cycle to the pineapple try and connect to the wifi and once again throws error so stuck doing a factory reset i honestly think i have a lemonapple because i don't see how only configuring the eth0 is supposed to mess anything up from me connecting to the pineapple over the air especially when i do a power cycle disconnected from my modem

Edited by mikeyrave

Please just stop trying and frustrating yourself until Seb can address you directly. This is community support you're getting here, and frankly, your'e making things harder on yourself by approaching things the way you are.

If you have a 'lemon', hak5 will address it.

Let me ask you this: what are you intending on using the pineapple for AFTER this?

If you need an access point, I will ship you one if it will end this thread.

I understand that you would like to potentially have the configuration as a DIP setting, but please consider that it would be easier if this was NOT the initial task you set to.

Best of luck, and if you really can't find a stable wireless AP (though I have no idea how that is possible), PM me your address, I will ship you a router.

Otherwise, patience, my friend.

well as of now i'm pretty sure my MKV is just a paperweight. after loading a newly downloaded stager and latest upgrade.bin/hash (to a freshly formatted FAT sd card) three times it has just sat there blinking the amber light for well over an hour each time i'm giving it one more go with once again a fresh stager and fresh upgrade files on a formatted card and calling it a night and see how it looks in the morning

I think what you have is an ID 10 T problem.

very funny but not my fualt that i got a mkv that hasn't worked even when running with bone stock configuration

*edit*

anyways going back at it this morning new stager new upgradefiles like usual.

1. 11110

2. format sd card FAT

3. go to 192.168.1.1 flash stager

4. place upgrade.bin/hash to the sd card

5. after complete flash place dips to 11111

6. insert sd card

7. power cycle

so you understand the lights it goes in thes order exactly

green/dim blue <--same time

green stays lit and blue goes bright at the exact time red goes on

all in about a second in this order amber comes on blue turns off then amber turns off

three seconds after that red goes off and i'm left with a solid green light for about 30 seconds then the amber lights starts to blink and this does not end

check my networks i'm able to connect to the ar9331 even though the blue light is not on or comes on when i connnect to it

navigate to 172.16.42.1:1471-->nothing

navigate to 172.16.42.42:1471-->nothing

navigate to 172.16.42.42-->nothing

navigate to 172.16.42.1-->get an index of / directory page telling me 0.00 kbytes and a broken /.,. link

Edited by mikeyrave

172.16.42.42 should be your computer's IP address. Of course nothing will work on that.

With the default install, connect your computer to the pineapple via a network cable.

Set your computer's network card to IP: 172.16.42.42 Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Plug in your Mark V, it should show a green light, a red light briefly, and then start linking blue until it finally boots and has Blue, Amber, and Green solid.

Open a browser on your computer and navigate to http://172.16.42.1:1471

You should be prompted with the welcome page to agree to the terms and set a password. Set a simple password like "lamepassword" and follow the on screen instructions.

172.16.42.42 should be your computer's IP address. Of course nothing will work on that.

With the default install, connect your computer to the pineapple via a network cable.

Set your computer's network card to IP: 172.16.42.42 Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Plug in your Mark V, it should show a green light, a red light briefly, and then start linking blue until it finally boots and has Blue, Amber, and Green solid.

Open a browser on your computer and navigate to http://172.16.42.1:1471

You should be prompted with the welcome page to agree to the terms and set a password. Set a simple password like "lamepassword" and follow the on screen instructions.

nope no go

well now i'm in a win/lose situation after spending so much money i couldn't just sit here doing nothing...
i took the sign that even though i wasn't able to connect to 172.16.42.1:1471 but rather just 172.16.42.1 and also still able to enter the 192.168.1.1 recovery modes as good things i went ahead and spent the past 6 hours trouble shooting and found that i was able to still connect to the MKV through putty which i quickly gave up figuring that since i didn't input a password that i'd have no way of accessing root.

Later in the evening i thought i'd give it a shot and i was actually able to gain root by using

username: root

password: pineapplesareyummy

Perfect so i went ahead and downloaded winscp and scp'ed the upgrade.bin file to the /tmp/ folder then ran sysupgrade

AND ITS ALIVE but unfortunately its an overly ripe pineapple on the verge of mold its even slower then what it was when i originally started running it. Takes more then 10 minutes just to load all the small tiles if they show up at all, some tiles show no information, and a couple of the tiles will not load the large tiles or take just as long to load their corresponding information.

so i guess this is good and bad right now i'm going to try and load the stager and do another recovery hopefully that works out the bugs i'm experiencing

*edit*

nope just goes back to blinking that amber light forever and its not worth going through the hassle of 'fixing' it the way that i did just so i have a half baked even less functioning device.. guess i'll just wait for a reply from the shop

Edited by mikeyrave