Privacy/paranoia

take it take

How are you practicing safe computing? What do you do to protect yourself online?

I'll start...

These aren't exactly bulletproof ways, but it's a start for me: I use extremely long passphrases for my passwords and I use a few different passphrases for different account names I have online. I almost never post any of my personal information about myself online, such as real names, exact locations, age, and so forth. On Windows and Linux, I occasionally check processes that are running and I monitor network activities going in and out of my computer. I rarely check my e-mail or enter login information on unsecured wifi. If so, I change the passwords at home prior to using other people's wifi network. I usually flush out any private messages stored on forums and important e-mails stored on other people's/organizations servers. I'm definitely not extremely paranoid, as I do money transactions online.

It would be cool if windows, or any other OS for that matter, had a dummy password. One that if forced to you could give away. Logging in under that password would bring you to a desktop and set of documents that looked legit enough to be your own, but secretly in the background would destroy all of your legit documents.

Sneaky sneaky

It would be cool if windows, or any other OS for that matter, had a dummy password. One that if forced to you could give away. Logging in under that password would bring you to a desktop and set of documents that looked legit enough to be your own, but secretly in the background would destroy all of your legit documents.

Sneaky sneaky

That would be prety cool.

Sneaky sneaky

Create a dummy user account and provide the login details from that. Your actual account could have a random login name not recognisable as belonging to you. BUT then again it would be pretty easy to suss out there was another/other accounts on the machine.

Now that would be an awsome peice of encyption software! If it encypted it and you set two keys and when you decypte it with one password it gives you the stuff you want, but if you decypt it with the other password it gives you some thing else. Similare to that programing language that consisted entirely of white space which gives the opertunity to store two diffrent programs with in a single source file! When the source file is compiled with the white space compiler it compils in to one program, but when compiled with it's normal compiler (C, Java, what ever) it is an entirely diffrent program.

Throw in the ability to erase the real encrypted partition when logging in with the decoy and you've got yourself some hardcore stuff there.

Maybe this is something for the Hak5 dev team to work on.......

sure it would be difficult but im sure it could be done

Out of interest: How many fingers would I have to break before you gave me your email passwords?

zero I would hand over my password(s) if need be... worse case I lose the $2.43 in my bank account

on another note Truecrypt has that. Use one password you get one thing, a different password you get something else...

I was going to set up my computer with grub having 2,3,4 maybe 5 entrys with linux and when you boot into the first on the grub menu and looks like it's loading and it's running a "nice dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda1" and then boots to a OS with nothing you shouldn't have and if they/you try to boot to the next partition after that... well... lets hope you have backups..

but then I remembered that i tend to walk away after I turn my computer on so this would be a bad idea for me