North Korea explodes nuke

Garda

If for some reason you haven't heard, North Korea exploded a nuke. Some news reports if you need to get back up to speed

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/K/KOR...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/0...t.ap/index.html

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001021,00.html

The following is part of a post i left on digg

The thing i don't quite understand and i hope someone can explain it to me: why are we talking so much about Iran, when i've read that they might be as much as 10 years away from having the bomb, when just today NK blew one up already. I just read John Howard wants to put sanctions on NK. WHY WEREN'T THERE ALREADY EVERY SANCTION POSSIBLE!

Not that i think invading people and fighting wars is a lovely idea, but if we were to invade somebody, shouldn't it be NK, where there's a crazy communist dictator who actually has weapons of mass destruction.

There are alot of smart guys in here so i thought somebody might help me understand this.

What the hell is going on?

This is how it goes...

1 Bush wants to get into the office

2 he has no money

3 rich texan oil dudes give him money

4 he wins (only god knows how that happened(stupid Americans (I saw that being one)))

5 he helps out rich oil guys by attacking places with oil

6 supply and demand

7 rich oil guys get richer (aka profit)

Okay, I get the news that DPRK may (MAY) have detonated a nuke. Kim Jong Il is trying to flex his muscle (if he has any) and be one of the big boys. It may just turn out that they put a bunch of explosives underground and detonated that. It will take some time to figure out if it really was a nuke.

...and SomeoneElse... stay on topic. This event has nothing to do with President Bush. (You might have posted in the wrong place, looking at the boards)

North Korea are not a threat, lets be very clear about this. There an annoyance. If they carry on like this, China will sit on them, possibly even with American assistance. They might managed to get 1 or 2 missiles away, but most likely they'll fall in the sea.

North Korea already have the capacity to hurt South Korea with several hundred of SCUD missiles, has a large and well organized army devoted to its leader, and has a leader enough fool to start a war.

For me, it's an enough good reason to use a diplomatical approach instead of a more "aggressive" approach.

if you ask me we should just send them a few nukes seeing as they want them so bad and all, lets see if they still want to develop some nukes after they see the demage they can make to there own country :twisted:

Okay boys here is the way I see it. I was stationed in Korea for two years a few moons ago. We do not pursue NK because of the Chinease, they have had the North's back for many years, and no one with any sense wants a war with China.

North Korea is broke, the people are starving, it's a wonder that they can keep the lights on. I was just discussing this with my boss the other day, he has read that the Chinease have been turning away huge waves of North Korean refuges ( I cannot verify this though).

This isn't the first time this has happened. When the coffers start to look a little barren the North starts spewing nuke propaganda and we eventually give them cash to stop. Right now the North wants to hold talks with America and leave out China and Japan because they now we will puss out and give them more money.

I bet that there was NEVER a nuke test to begin with, just a ronrey rittle man trying to get some free cash. His downfall will be pissing off the Chinease, once they wash there hands of North Korea, they are toast.

But if they try anything, china will just turn it into a car park. They've already had to suspend aid shipments because the North Koreans keep stealing the trains the stuff is shipped in on.

am i the only one who finds that funny cos it is so incredibly stupid.

I thought that the reason North Korea is seen as current news (rather than Iran) is due to North Korea already having the facilities for nuclear weapon development, and have developed weapons. However, iran have not developed their nuclear weapons programme to such a level that it's become an immediate threat to anyone. Hence America jumping all over Iran, more so than North Korea-they're trying to nip iran in the bud before they become a problem, whereas North Korea are just threat limitation so to speak. At least that's how I saw it all...