Failure to Associate

Hey everybody, been following Hak5 for a while, first time posting, so here it goes.

Recently upgraded my Mark IV to 2.8.0, and ever since then my Mark IV has been having problems associating clients. I tried to find the source of the issue but so far a solution has eluded me. First, I noticed my pineapple wasn't associating clients. I attempted to connect via my Android phone, but it endlessly tries to connect, and never could complete the process. I first thought this might be a hardware issue, so I popped the pineapple open to check the connections, and everything looked intact. After this i re-upgraded to see if it would help, and that didn't either. In the pineapples logs there I see these entries over and over again:

19:28:23 Pineapple daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA f8:0c:f3:de:ae:13 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
19:28:23 Pineapple daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA f8:0c:f3:de:ae:13 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)

This occurs with all mac addresses that attempt to connect. What appears to be happening is the clients authenticate, and associate, in a never ending cycle. I'm interpretting this as some kind of failure to associate, or the pineapple keeps dropping clients. Anybody have any ideas as to why this could be happening? Thank you for any help you guys can provide!

Hi Prometheus,

I'm having the exact same problem. Have been expriencing these problems after i upgraded to 2.7.x

On my iPhone i get "Could not connect to network "default""

After clicking it hystericly I eventualy get connected to the network, but not like the old day where the iPhone would auto connect to these networks.

I also only see network I hard coded in my iPhone, networks where i've been in the past are not showing in the network list.

On my Android I can see the networks i've added manualy but not the networks where i've been.

On my Win7 I only see the default pineapple network but no other network i've connected to in the past,

Same goes for my WinXP. I only see the default pineapple network but not other networks.

I can connect to the default pineapple network but Karma isn't kicking in.

Can someone explain why this is happening and where the problem could be ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by ZeteMkaa

• Pineapple Hardware Version (ex: Mark III, Mark IV, etc.):
  • Mark IV
  • Pineapple Software Version (ex: 2.5.0, 2.6.4):
  • OS used to connect to the pineapple:
  • Backtrack 5RC3
  • Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information):

wp4output.png

• All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened:
  • Karma and wireless, no active infusions
  • Ping results from computer to pineapple:
  • root@bt:~# ping 172.16.42.1

PING 172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.54 ms

64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=2.36 ms

• Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No):
  • Yes
  • Steps taken which created the problem:
  • run wp4.sh, check networks on iPhone, no karma networks that aren't hardcoded
  • Error Messages:

Cannot connect to network "appel"

Log file information(use spoiler tags for large logs):

• KARMA: Probe Request from 18:34:51:bb:cc:4f for SSID 'appel'

KARMA: Probe Request from 18:34:51:bb:cc:4f for SSID 'appel'

KARMA: Probe Request from 18:34:51:bb:cc:4f for SSID 'nieuwnetwerk'

• Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem:
Edited by ZeteMkaa

So further investigation has thoroughly confused me lol. After a change of scenery, my pineapple seemed to function properly again. Back to location numero uno, association was impossible again. So I'm assuming my issue is a result of something going on at the first location. Is it possible that someone nearby is whitelisting access points, and sending disassociation packets to any access points not whitelisted? Not sure how I'd confirm something like that, but it seems likely to me that what's happening is clients authenticate, associate, and then are disassociated, where karma attempts to pick them back up again, in an endless cycle. I tried spoofing the pineapple's mac address to that of a legit access point, and also changed the SSID to one that would be whitelisted, but it didn't solve my problem. Hoping someone has some experience in this area that could enlighten me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

OR i could just be unlucky and the problem is with the pineapple but it's just very selective lol. Could a messed up setting in the wifi jammer module, or the black list module, cause something like this? Don't believe I've made a mistake there, but it couldn't hurt to check.

I have the same issue... I've been using it fine all week and now all of a sudden no matter what I try I can't associate.

I've tried reflashing, resetting different hosts to no avail - maybe next I'll try flashing version previous to 2.8.0.

This is really sucking - I hope someone can help

I have 2 pineapples with VERY similar problems. Simply will NOT associate clients. Does not matter which version of mkiv, or location.

This happened to me around day 80 of pineapple #2, and like day 31 on pineapple #3, and i KNOW that pineapple #4 is going to do it soon. I would REALLY like to fix this as I am wanting to send one to another hak5 member as a gift.

I've had the same mark4 pineapple since the day they started preorders for forum members and I've never had a problem (with any firmware version) with clients associating. It can be frustrating sometimes, because you see the probe requests going around, but they don't always associate because of many reasons (low signal strength, the ssid's the clients are probing for are secured, etc). I'm with Seb on this one, I don't think its device related. Go to a target rich environment and chill for an hour, you'll get clients karma'd to your fruit.

telot

Edited by telot

Hi all,

Back in the old day Karma would "really" create the probed networks, now it only probes networks that are manually configured on the victim.

So the real magic is gone.

We used the Pineapple at our clients to show them what the impact of rogue APs is. With our setup we could show them that networks probes we reverted to actual networks and that
clients would auto connect to these networks. Currently the Pineapple is only recreating manual entered networks so the real impact is kind of gone.

First I thought that the problem was with my Pineapple but I went to a friend of mine who also has a Pineapple and we experienced the same problems. So it looks like a problem in
the Karma software.

I have had this issue for a while and i have gone as far as putting a new antenna cable on re-flashing way too many times with many different firmware versions and still no solution. I believe that it is an issue with the device and wish it was taken seriously, and maybe looked into further. The pineapple is a great product when it works but recently i have been wanting to run it over with my truck.

I'm feeling the same way about now,

I've had it about a year now with no

issues, and since yesterday this association problem, everything else works fine. - I'm at my whits end, which is really not that long :-)

Edited by 10base2

Found it... bad internal antenna pigtail causing authentication/association errors.

When I place any of my previous non authenticating devices directly on top of touching

pineapple I'm able to authenticate with no issues.

I have since ordered replacement pigtails

What I forgot to say is that earlier in the week I had an issue with antenna connection

just turning when tying to remove antenna, had to open pineapple to

tighten pigtail. Some how this must have damaged connection but it actually looks un-damage.

So basically the radiating/receiving power was so low due to compromised antenna connection fragmented packets caused authentication/association issues.

FYI - purchased replacement pigtails 2 for $7 shipping included

shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searchresults?kw=2+Mini+PCI+U.FL+to+RP-SMA+Antenna+WiFi+Pigtail+Cable+Any+Length&cmd=SREF&fads=All&call=All&sort=BestMatch&catid=&catnm=&mfs=&acimp=&isNewKw=true