Small Linux Distro

Netw0rk_Man1ac

I have an old laptop that I'm wanting to put linux on to play with and get more comfortable with the OS. The problem I've found is that the specs on the system are so low that it's hard to find a good distro that is meant to be installed to the HDD. I've tried DSL and while it runs pretty quick it seems to have a problem installing to disk and the same with Lubuntu. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Current specs on the systems are as follows:

30 GB HDD

2.2 GHz Celeron (single core)

256 MB RAM

I can't afford to get any new RAM for the system which only maxes out at 512 MB anyway. The hard drive is currently bare. Any thoughts would be great.

Edited by Netw0rk_Man1ac

I actually am currently running 6 VMs on my desktop system. The reason I was wanting to use that old laptop was so my wife wouldn't complain when I sat in the other room for hours at a time. I could at least sit on the couch and keep her somewhat happy.

that should run crunchbang, puppy linux, or damn small linux somewhat ok i would think.

It does run DSL pretty well. The problem I'm having is that for some reason it's not formatting the HDD properly. Once the install is complete I'm getting a bad PBR error and it won't boot. I have /dev/hda1/ formatted as the primary partition and bootable but still getting the error. So I wasn't sure if it was something odd with the distro since it is an older one of if i just borked something.

I was going to say damn small linux, but there are probably newer distros that can be stripped down. You could probably use something like a USB thumb drive to install it on, run as a live DISK with persistence as the main computers HDD for storage. just need a 4GB ThumbDrive and you could probably put most anything on it, but it won't be uber fast. Just have to find one that can run off 256mb of ram or less. Most, are headless or command line based only distros I would think, unless you built your own from source with a light weight GUI. Nothing Gnome or KDE based, since they would eat up most of your memory and CPU cycles. Could try searching google and http://distrowatch.com/ for something.

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Old+Computers&origin=All&basedon=Debian&notbasedon=None&desktop=Fluxbox&architecture=All&status=Active

Edited by digip

Im looking at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix now, I might actually download and install it in a VM to see how it runs. Might be nice to have a super tiny distro with a more modern desktop and OS than DSL has had in the past. Just wonder what kinds of tools you can get to run on such small specs, like aircrack and such.

lol the "system" i'm installing on is my wife's old laptop. When I got my hands on it it had Win XP loaded so that of course had to go away real quick. Unfortunately I don't have any RAM laying around that will fit it so I'm stuck until I can find some. I'm not going to spend much more than $20 to up the RAM in it since I'm hoping to get a new laptop in the next couple months since my wife stole my toshiba.