Steam For Linux Beta Started...

linkstojustice

The closed beta for Steam on Ubuntu has started. Valve is looking for about 1k people to actively test the Steam client for linux. You can take the survey below to sign up for a chance to try the beta out. From What I understand you will need a Steam account with the game LFD2. This is great news for all of us Linux users, still using Windows for our gaming needs.

http://www.valvesoft...linuxsurvey.php

Edited by linkstojustice

aww man thats a bummer... They are gonna have to expand from debian sometime and maybe the will have you at the top of the list for that.

Maybe, either way Garry's Mod works just fine under WINE and there isn't that annoying issue where you're able to click through the chat box for Steam (wine) so I'm happy for now :D

Yeah, I applied to the survey the moment it came out, but I didn't get in the initial beta group. They'll be allowing more people in as time goes on from what I've been told.

However...there is a glitch in the client that lets you login without a "Steam Linux beta" account (launch Friends instead of the main app), but you can't install games.

Waiting for the day when I can ditch M$ Windoze for good.

Waiting for the day when I can ditch M$ Windoze for good.

It shall be a glorious day for us all! Steam is the only reason I still have a multi boot on my gaming machine...

telot

• 1 month later...

Its in open beta now so all can give it a try...

I tried playing TF2 on my box but I just get a black screen and the sound of the Valve opening, but nothing else.

apt-get remove steam

ya if using amd graphics card the x.org drivers will open tf2 but play it at about 10 fps. The proprietary drivers that come in most distro's repo cause the whole black box opening for a second then nothing happening... I installed the 12.11 beta drivers from AMD's website and TF2 opened perfectly and ran at a steady 300 fps